Amazon to Introduce Streaming Music Service This Summer, Only Offering Songs 6-Months or Older

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Amazon will be launching a music streaming service offered free to customers paying for its $99/year Amazon Prime service. The service will launch in June or July according to a new report from Buzzfeed.

The news follows yesterday's acquisition of Beats Music by Apple, and a report from February that claimed Amazon was investigating the possibility of a music service to accompany Prime.

Amazon's streaming catalog will only include songs older than six months, likely saving the company on royalty costs. Spotify, Beats and Rdio all offer new releases to their subscribers.
    Amazon has some 20 million paying Prime members and offers them a library of movie and TV shows via its Netflix-esque Prime Instant Video service along with free 2-day shipping on most items the company sells.

Recently, Amazon signed a deal with HBO to stream older original content from the cable network to Prime subscribers.

Article Link: Amazon to Introduce Streaming Music Service This Summer, Only Offering Songs 6-Months or Older

2. macrumors 6502a

Cue the Apple fanboys saying Amazon is trying to get a jump on Apple/Beats.

3. macrumors 603

I thought people loved listening to new stuff?

Though music from 6 months ago onwards is ok, the premium to listening to current releases without buying the track / album is what attracts people, no?

4. macrumors regular

xionxiox

Amazon is trying to get a jump on Apple/Beats!

[Edit]

Also, 6 months is a bit too long.

5. macrumors regular

Lapidus

"Songs 6-Months or Older"
    * And no Beatles songs

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors newbie

Six months? Deal is dead before it even leaves the table.

8. macrumors 68020

bbfc

6 months older? Pfft. I use Spotify to listen to new releases.

9. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This is pretty good considering how it is essentially free (I already have a prime subscription). Sure can't get the latest, but not too bad.

10. macrumors regular

Buzzfeed??? 'Report'??

11. macrumors newbie

December 2014.

person A: "Hey, Man. Are you listening to the new album on Spotify?"

person B: "No, I have to wait until the middle of next year."

12. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

They don't really need to attract new people. It's free for Prime users, so millions of people will just have access to it.

That's the power of an existing, well-liked ecosystem.

13. macrumors newbie

This makes it seem like students who pay $49/yr for Amazon Prime won't be eligible. Hopefully that is not the case...

14. macrumors member

This makes Amazon Prime an even better deal. What a brilliant idea. Although I like being able to try out new music right away, most of the music I listen to tends to be >6mo anyway since I'm always playing catch up to music.

Not really for the music junkies maybe but a great deal for those who casually want to listen to music.

15. macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

6 months or older? Buzzkill and a deal breaker. Although I'm a Prime member anyway for the shipping benefit so whatever.

16. macrumors 6502a

I'm so done with supporting anything from Amazon.

Their business model is evil and it's not customers friendly.:mad:

17. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

6 months or older?!?!?

I can live with that.

18. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Basically they just announced a music service for old people who don't like our hip new music. :p

It's okay. I don't think the main audience of Amazon is 25-some year olds. Some of us of course have Amazon Student, but we are not their most profitable customers.

19. macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Cue the member saying "Cue the Apple fanboys"

20. macrumors 6502a

Stupid

The whole point of Music Subscription services is to give people the ability to sample as much music as they want. What is the point of letting people listen to an old album that they probably already heard, or worse popular songs that have already been played to death by then? Who the hell want to hear "Happy" or "Let It Go" on a subscription service?

I was originally skeptical but have really loved using my Sub service for the last 5 years and guess what? I've gone back to purchasing CDs because of it. I like being able to hear the latest and greatest before committing to it, and discovering new people like Cher Lloyd, Imagine Dragons, The Black Keys, even Arianna Grande, I bought all those albums because I listened to them during release week because of the hype. I didn't buy Pharrel because I thought it sucked...

21. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I only know of 1 album I have an interest in listening to that was released within 6 months, and I own it.

I think this is a great step in the right direction.

----------

Speaking of played to death...

22. macrumors 68040

Until they get pissed off at one of the record labels and pull their streaming songs, MP3 downloads, and CDs from distribution...

23. macrumors 6502a

Could you give a list of albums released in the last six month that I need to listen too?

Thanks!

24. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

I will never complain about adding more services to my prime account :D

25. Parasprite, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Eh...Lindsey Stirling - S h a tter Me, but only if your into that sort of thing.

Edit: MacRumors, you silly.