Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Amazon only says that the service will not have music that has been released in the last six month. Otherwise, they don't say what music they will have in their service. Amazon's instant video is good but, the free video you get through Prime is generally terrible. Seeing how this is essentially a free service for those that get Prime, I have to imagine that the service's music catalog is only a small subset of what they currently sell.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Amazon only says that the service will not have music that has been released in the last six month. Otherwise, they don't say what music they will have in their service. Amazon's instant video is good but, the free video you get through Prime is generally terrible. Seeing how this is essentially a free service for those that get Prime, I have to imagine that the service's music catalog is only a small subset of what they currently sell.

You are probably right. As the old saying goes.... "You get what you pay for" :)

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Could you give a list of albums released in the last six month that I need to listen too?

Thanks!

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. For me, I like what sounds fresh and new and then I'm sick of it after a month or 2 and probably won't ever care to listen to it again. That's why a subscription service like this or Beats Music makes a lot of sense for me. I almost never buy songs on iTunes because they'll just become dead weight.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I will never complain about adding more services to my prime account :D

Until they jack up the price of Prime to cover the costs of whatever new services they've added.

BTW, interesting language in this announcement. Amazon is excluding not only students, but also their loyal Prime members who paid the $79 rate before they raised rates this past March.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Until they jack up the price of Prime to cover the costs of whatever new services they've added.

BTW, interesting language in this announcement. Amazon is excluding not only students, but also their loyal Prime members who paid the $79 rate before they raised rates this past March.

Even at $99 prime is a deal if you order online. Free two-day shipping that usually still comes in 1 day, or overnight it for $3.99 until 6:00pm the same day.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
You are probably right. As the old saying goes.... "You get what you pay for" :)

Agreed. I wish they had an "add-on" option for Prime members to get more stuff streaming. If I had to pay an extra $5/month or whatever I would. The selection is indeed pretty terrible.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
6-month or older? Not a problem for me. :)
They could stop making music today and I will not even notice.
All the music I could ever want/need was already made between 1700's to 2010.
This is awesome, specially because I already have Prime.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This is pretty good considering how it is essentially free (I already have a prime subscription). Sure can't get the latest, but not too bad.

EXACTLY !

With HBO shows and movies now being offered on Prime and now this. It's just icing on the cake and justifies the $99. And the Dolby sound from the Kindle Fire HD series kicks butt.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hmmm, I get Prime for free so this isn't a bad deal at all. This might actually push me to using it more.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This is definitely good if you're already a Prime Member (I'm not). The fact that Amazon won't offer new releases completely lost me. Then again, I'm spoiled having Spotify.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
This makes Amazon Prime an even better deal. What a brilliant idea. Although I like being able to try out new music right away, most of the music I listen to tends to be >6mo anyway since I'm always playing catch up to music.

Not really for the music junkies maybe but a great deal for those who casually want to listen to music.

I think you are looking at this the right way--and the way Amazon wants their Prime customers to look at it. Not really in competition with Spotify (I am a paid Spotify subscriber)--but really a music version of their Prime movie and TV collection. And it gives those 20 million Prime customers something else added to what most really wanted when they signed on to Prime--free two day shipping.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Free?

This is pretty good considering how it is essentially free (I already have a prime subscription). Sure can't get the latest, but not too bad.

In what universe is this free? Considering Amazon just increased the price of Prime by $20, this is hardly "free." You are defacto paying for this crappy service through the increased fee.

dstankus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Sounds even more limited than "songs >6months old."

"...offering a potluck of select songs and albums it has licensed from labels at a discount."

I guess that if you're already Prime this is "free," but it doesn't sound all that great.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Really, 6 months and older is not bad. To be honest, I usually just buy the music that I want, as I have never gotten any of the subscription sites to offer me the music that I want to listen to.

But then again, I tend to stick with mostly musical soundtracks with some bluegrass and clean comedy.

As for Amazon's video content, I find it suits my tastes well, so I am hopeful that the music will as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.