Amazon to Start Charging Sales Tax in Texas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by toxictrix, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Technically, you're supposed to pay sales tax on online purchases directly to your state. Physical stores just collect the tax for you.

3. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

I heard about this last week...what a huge bummer.

Time will tell if my usage changes. Free 2 day shipping + no sales tax made it a no brainer - even if the price was the same as a B&M. All good things must come to an end, I guess. :(

----------

This is true - I have an accountant friend who never failed to remind me of this when I bragged about how much money I saved on Christmas. Problem is, nobody actually ever paid it - I know I never did.

4. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

I'd like to meet the person who actually pays sales tax on online purchases to their state. I don't know anybody who does.

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They've been charging sales tax in NY for a few years now. Hasn't changed my buying from them and it hasn't hurt their business in NYS, so they say.

Want to bet that we'll get posts in here from people blasting this and swearing off buying anything from Amazon while at the same time they're over in the Apple taxes thread posting how bad Apple is for using loopholes to avoid paying their taxes?

6. macrumors P6

MacDawg

:D
    Ain't that the truth

7. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Well...Amazon can thank Texas for costing them a lot of sales from a loyal customer. I was with them when they first started up and only sold books. They were always my first choice when online shopping. Now it'll be mostly low ticket items from them from now on... I guess I'll get a Kindle Fire next month, before the taxes kick in.

8. macrumors G5

yg17

I bet on most things, the Amazon price plus sales tax is still cheaper than a B&M store. Especially electronics. Places like Best Buy gouge up the prices.

9. macrumors 6502

That's not always true. Amazon may charge less for a product until you add shipping, then it can be more, and often it is. Buy a book(used) for $5 and find the shipping is $4.95. No bargain there. Like anywhere else, you need to shop total prices.

10. macrumors 603

Yep. For some people, it seems that it's always up to somebody else to pay the taxes to support the services that they use.

11. macrumors 601

Don't panic

true but there is a big difference between the actual amazon and all the 'associated stores'. some of them are truly horrible, basically scams.

12. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'll admit that I don't - unless the site collects it.

13. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

Exactly. I'm not sure I've ever purchased anything that wasn't actually offered by Amazon themselves.

Amazon is still extremely convenient. I did almost all of my Christmas shopping last year...and having to pay taxes or not - Even paying a little more is probably worth not having to deal with all of the crowds during the Holiday craziness.

14. macrumors 601

The new iPad 16GB site is $564.99 (Free Super Saver Shipping!) at Amazon or $499+Tax at Apple. Next month it will be cheaper to buy it straight from the Apple store (or Best Buy or WalMart or...).

15. macrumors 601

Don't panic

possibly, or maybe amazon will reduce their price?

16. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Then you have no choice except to shop elsewhere. Unfortunately New York State requires Amazon to collect sales tax with items sold directly by them. I have to say Amazon has the absolute best customer service out there from my experience. It makes it almost worth paying tax for their superb service..

17. macrumors 65816

senseless

A level playing field is fair. Have you seen all the empty retail stores in your local shopping center?

18. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just going to point out that I believe what Apple and other big companies are doing in tax dodging is highly unethical. I also think that this was a long time coming and should of been done a long time ago. It was really hurting brick and mortar stores as they had to pay sales tax so prices there were for me 8.25% higher. Much less the the fact places like Amazon generally are cheaper any how. It is not like Amazon needed another 8.25% edge.

I am honestly glad this happened. It makes the playing field a hell of a lot more fair.

19. macrumors 6502a

Virginia sales tax coming

Amazon is said to be building a distribution center is VA and as a result will have a physical presence in our state and will start charging sales tax. VA law says citizens are supposed to estimate sales tax that would be charged by retailers like Amazon, but good luck with that.

20. macrumors G5

jav6454

It's when people's wallets are hurt is that collecting taxes is bad; otherwise, tax like a madman.

21. macrumors 601

mscriv

Bummer... :(

I didn't buy a lot from Amazon, but did make a few purchases a year through them. I'll still check their prices and compare even after they start charging tax. It is what it is...

22. macrumors G3

rhett7660

How is it unethical if it was legal? If it wasn't legal shame on them. If it was legal than good for them for being able to expand their business.

I hope you are not getting the tax item with Apple and other big tech companies for shelving their money off shore mixed up with this.

23. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

legal never has and never should mean it is ethical.

It is is a cake walk to be unethical and legal. Problem is in business ethics have gone out the window.

24. macrumors 68000

bobr1952

I for one won't change my buying habits if they start charging sales tax here. I hate to go into B&M stores and love the two-day shipping--if I pay sales tax, so be it, but Amazon won't lose my business because of it.

25. macrumors 601

For some things I will continue to shop at Amazon but this will likely drive me more toward the local B&M stores. For me the only reason for shopping online is if the price is enough cheaper to make the hassle of returns worthwhile. And yes Amazon is certainly the best online retailer when it comes to returns, but a local dealer is always preferable IMHO.