Amazon's Apple TV Competitor Expected to Debut at April 2 Media Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following rumors of a March launch, it looks like April 2 will be the day Amazon introduces its Apple TV competitor, as Re/code notes that the company has sent out invitations to a "video business" media event for that date. The invitations feature a photo of a couch and popcorn, strongly suggesting that the event will indeed involve the rumored streaming video device, and Re/code's sources indicate that this will indeed be the topic for the event.

[​IMG]
    A recent report from TechCrunch indicated that Amazon's device is expected to be a dongle similar to Google's Chromecast, which plugs directly into an HDMI port on the back of the user's television and then connects to either a USB port or outlet for power.

Amazon's launch comes as Apple users continue to await the introduction of a revamped Apple TV. Rumblings had suggested Apple was considering a launch late last year, but nothing materialized. Newer rumors have suggested that Apple might make a March or April announcement ahead of a launch later in the year, but there have been no specific signs of an imminent event from Apple.

Article Link: Amazon's Apple TV Competitor Expected to Debut at April 2 Media Event

2. macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

Thank you amazon, quite happy with my apple TV. Despite being an amazon 'prime member' I detested love-film, and am quite happy and content with my current iTunes/icloud set-up.

I suspect those not in a matrimonial union with iTunes-family may be swayed; personally, i do not see this as a viable alternative for my needs and usage.

3. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

hurry Apple...:apple:

4. macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Its about time one of the big boys made a push with a small streaming/casual gaming device. Now if they could only get decent content streaming in the UK. Amazon prime/lovefilm is utter crap at the moment. I got it off the back of my prime membership and its painful to use on ANY device and the content available is terrible.

5. macrumors regular

Amazon's pretty late to this game.

If they're moving in the direction of the Chromecast -- toward being a bargain option -- that would be completely the opposite of what Apple seems to be planning -- the only hard evidence being that the Apple TV is now listed as a main product on the Apple website. ATV used to be a "hobby," but it isn't anymore, and that should set the bar high for Amazon's announcement.

6. macrumors 6502

What? Was April 1st to obviously ominous lol? :D

7. macrumors 68000

MartinAppleGuy

Ugly image lol Looks like something a school pupil would make.

8. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh no, not those suggestive rumblings again.

9. macrumors 65816

The more options for people to move away from cable/satellite the better.

10. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Like the old saying, Competition is good. Because we as the customers wins.

11. macrumors 6502a

MKV support :D

12. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Following Amazon's current naming strategy, we can all be anticipating the Amazon Kable Fire!

13. macrumors 68020

Never cared much for the Amazon Prime Movies. Nor do I want to buy any that weren't free. I only enjoyed watching past TV episodes but I won't be renewing this year since I don't buy that much from Amazon anymore.

14. macrumors member

Amazon Prime Dropped Scripps After Price Increase

So much for customer service. After announcing a 25% increase for a Prime membership, last week Amazon dropped Scripps and all the shows that came with it: HGTV, Food and Travel networks, etc.
    So pay more and get less.
    Just FYI.

15. macrumors 68020

Just because sales are higher doesn't prevent it from being a hobby. It can still be a hobby, ie (a very small team putting resources into the project vs everything else Apple works on.

16. macrumors newbie

The couch is quite ugly.

17. macrumors regular

Should be interesting. I wonder if they will have channels like Roku and the Apple TV or will it only be Amazon services.

18. macrumors 6502a

Wondering if Apple has been waiting for Amazon to announce their products so that they can't update it to copy whatever Apple has planned.

----------

Judging from the Kindles, it will be Amazon only unless you root it.

19. macrumors 68000

You mean early? Amazon's distribution deals with the studios is pretty vast and they have a Amazon Prime app on many devices. They are ahead of the game compared to many companies.

20. macrumors 68020

Ouch - that's how most cable companies are too.

21. macrumors 68000

Huh? The Kindle Fire family of tablets allows any app on their platform. It is just a forked version of Android with their own App Store. Clearly they will have Netflix and probably Hulu Plus at launch.

22. macrumors 6502

Free with Kindle purchase!!

23. macrumors 65816

why would anyone want this when apple tv already does everything we need as consumers? the amazon experience is substandard and has much less content than the iTunes store.

24. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Wow - so has Amazon actually mastered the art of product reveals as demonstrated time after time by Apple? Do we not actually already know exactly what Amazon is revealing, and will they be shipping a product shortly after revealing it? Those concepts are completely lost on most companies - most companies announce things months before revealing them, and then ship them months after revealing them. Only Apple announces and reveals simultaneously and starts shipments within a week of that, as far as I know.

25. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Better late then never, never late is better.