Ambien

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mjstew33, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

If you ever need to take a sleeping type pill, well Ambien is your choice, trust me. I'm going through a rough time right now and my doctor said I should take Ambien about 30ms. before I go to bed.

If you use this drug... KNOW WHEN YOU WANT TO GO TO SLEEP! This thing kicks in FAST!!!

It's half life is short, very short. It's out of you when you wake up.

I've been using this. And I took the med about 30mins. ago and my head is falling into my iBook. :eek:

Just a recommendation. :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I mess up my sleep schedule every single weekend so I take melatonin which is supposed to be an herbal supplement to help you get to sleep. I took two three weekends in a row and about 2 hours later I would wake with some gnarly feelings of being crowded. Turned out it was stress...but I also didn't need to take two tablets. One worked. It doesn't kick in like yours, but it certainly allows me to feel ok in the morning. Every sleeping pill ever tried makes me have headaches in the morning.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

30ms eh? How on earth would you even know when 30 milliseconds before bed was going to be?

I finally had some time off work yesterday and went for a big-arse walk around town, from the beach, to the town, all over really. Then at work I was working a hens party downstairs so I was up and down all night with loads of plates and glasses.

I slept like a baby last night, haven't had such a good sleep in years.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

lilstewart92, you're thirteen. Are you sure you want to be taking sleeping pills already? :eek:

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Did a doctor really prescribe that dose? 30mg (milligrams) is a large dose. It's generally quite effective, so it may guarantee that you'll be out quickly, but as a rule you shouldn't take more medicine than necessary. It's worth asking
    the doctor if a smaller dose would be worth trying.

Another caution: Ambien is habit-forming, so people who are used to it will likely have trouble sleeping when they stop using it.

It can also cause small mental lapses, like forgetting something you did or said just before you fell asleep.

(Note: I know a few facts like these, but I'm not a medical doctor.)

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's what I reckon. If he's having a tough time some exercise will help to both knock some energy off him at the end of the day and clear his head at the same time.

I'd lay off the drugs.

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The precious inventory needs to be preserved for us older dinosaurs.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Amen to that. Oops, my hip just went out again....

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Somebody help that 23-year old Aussie. :) Ah, the good old days when I got up in the morning relatively pain free.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

My meds (Dosulepin) are meant to help me sleep but they don't really kick in for about 4 hours!
    Really useful when you have to take one in the morning. By 1pm I'm fighting to stay awake, which is going to be really good when I return to work.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

23 year old Aussie with a degenerative bone disease. I know all about meds....

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I'm sure you do given that condition. Not knowing about it, there was no intent to be crass or insensitive on my end.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Of course not mate, don't worry about it. It's not crippling or anything, it's under control I just sound like a freshly made bowl of rice bubbles when I wake up in the morning.

It's all good.:)

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Ambien is typically given in 5mg doses. I can vouch for how the stuff works. My doc gave it to me for a trip to China. (for me this trip is a 13 hour time difference, it takes me about 2-3 days to completely adjust) Does wonders to help you adjust to the jet lag and re-regulate your sleep patterns. And yes, it kicks in in about 30 minutes. My problem on it however is that i seem to only get a solid 6 hours out of it instead of 8. I have not had any groggy feelings or other residual effects the next day.
    In short, good stuff, but as with all drugs, especially sleep aids, there is a danger of dependency.

15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I am glad that it is under proper control.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

I generally find a couple of Vicodins and a glass or two of Merlot do the trick. :p :D

17. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I used to think I was stepping on bubble wrap when I got out of bed in the morning. Then I realized I am just getting old.

Mmmm, vicodin.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I'm happy my back problems are over and I don't take it anymore, but it did come in handy at times. ;)

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I had a funny experience with Dramamine a few years ago. It's supposed be for travel sickness, but it also knocks you out.

Well, on my way back from Germany a few years ago, I took some Dramamine (I'd been sick on the flight over :eek:), and in about 20 mins I was completely out of it. The funny part was that as we were walking to our gate at Frankfurt airport, I was literally falling asleep along the way. As soon as I got on the plane, I fell asleep.

I don't remember take off, I don't remember landing and I had to be woken up to change flights at Vienna. Again, on the next flight I don't remember take off and then woke up about 9 hours later!

Afterwards everybody told be it was hilarious to see me falling asleep as I was walking. :eek:

Anyway....

I agree with everyone else, at your age you should try and avoid stuff like this at all costs.

20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Six hours would have been a surprise bonus in my case. I have always been resistant to a wide range of medications and when I had prescriptions for Ambien years ago I was fortunate to sleep 4 to 4.5 hours.

21. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm using 5mg, not 30mg, and yes, a doctor prescribed them.

What I meant was I take it 30 mins before I go to bed, and it kicks in fast.

22. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

It's doctor prescribed for a medical reason.

23. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well that sucks. Hopefully you won't have to stay on them long. :)