Ambient Light Sensor on 15" AlBook stopped working!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illumin8, Dec 4, 2003.

1. illumin8 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure when this happened (sometime in the last few days) but the Ambient Light Sensor stopped working on my 15" AlBook. When I turn the lights off, my screen used to dim and the keyboard would light up. When I turned the lights back on, the keyboard would unlight and the screen would brighten. This no longer happens. I checked my preferences and both features are still enabled. I also tried shutting down my computer and restarting it just in case there was a daemon that had died or something.

OMG, as I was typing this, I held my hand over the grill on the left of the keyboard for a second and the screen brightened a little bit. I decided to try the "turn the lights off" thing again and it works. Has anyone seen this happen where the ALS system stops working for a few days and then just starts working again? Could it be dust getting in the grills on the left and right of the keyboard?

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This has happened to me a few times, but only lasted for a few hours at most. In fact, it happened to me last night.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

When this happens to me, I have found that closing the book to out it to sleep and opening it again, the sensor will work perfectly. I wonder if it just powers down or something. I'm guessing we'd need a firmware and not OS update to fix the problem then.

5. illumin8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice but I don't think I need to do anything that drastic yet. The fact that others in this forum have had the same problem seems to indicate to me that it must be either a Panther bug or a Firmware bug that will probably be fixed at some point.

Stoid: Thanks for the confirmation that this happens occaionally to you too. Usually I found it starts working again as well if you put it to sleep again, but this time it happened, it was being really quirky and not even a shutdown or a restart would make it work.

6. cliffm macrumors member

cliffm

The ALS semsers stopped working on my 17". Restarting, resetting the pram and even reinstalling Panther didnt fix it. I took it to an apple store and they sent it in for repair. :mad:

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, happened to me again last night, and it worked this morning... Maybe it's a heat issue?

8. illumin8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Must be firmware...

This must be either a Firmware issue or an OS issue because it seems to happen to everyone that has either a 15" or 17" that supports it.

Just to get a data point or two, is everybody here running Panther? I'm running 10.3.1 from a clean install on mine.

9. cliffm macrumors member

cliffm

17" 1.33 with a clean install of panther here.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It happened again last night :( I'm running 10.3.1, from a cleans install of 10.2.7, upgraded to 10.2.8, then archive and install to 10.3, then upgraded to 10.3.1. This didn't start happening until the 10.3.1 upgrade. I have yet to try resetting the PRAM.

11. bowti1 macrumors newbie

Ok, so mine was doing the same thing and I found that putting it to sleep fixed the problem. NOW...........

This morning I'm using the thing and it was a bit dark so I hit F10 to turn the backlight up (I thought I had turned it down). When I hit F8, F9 or F10, I don't even get the screen to tell me the backlight function isn't available. I also checked under System Prefs and I can't even turn the backlight function on or off and I also can't turn the display to automatically change with light conditions. Basically, I now have the basic 15" Powerbook instead the one I bought!!

So I've done a firmware reset and also the PMU reset and neither helped. AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sorry to hear that, mine's been behaving prefectly since my last post :rolleyes: