Ambrosia Releases Wiretap Studio 1.0

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As a followup to our early Preview of Wiretap Studio, today Ambrosia Software released version 1.0 of Wiretap Studio.

Wiretap Studio is a rewrite of the Wiretap Pro application and is aimed as a mid-range solution for anyone who records audio.
    Perhaps most impressive new feature is the real-time audio encoding (Quicktime demo). The product sells for $69.00 with $30 upgrades for existing owners of Wiretap Pro, Audio Hijack Pro, or Fission. Free downloadable version is available for trial.

Article Link

2. macrumors member

Looks pretty cool, just playing with the editor alone, for a minute I like more then audicity. I believe in 30 days , i be opening my wallet. I like to edit and audio jack music off dvd for my next ring tone , now when itone is up and running will be buying that to .

-A4H

3. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Try Audacity Pro as well. ;)

4. macrumors 6502

Oh rob me pleaz

5. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

$69.00?! :eek:

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So why should I buy this over Audio Hijack Pro? :confused:

7. macrumors regular

Because it does much more than Audio Hijack Pro. It does what AHP does, includes an editor (no need for Fission), and has features like LivePreview and lossless master editing that AHP lacks.

Download it, try it, and I think you'll agree with me. If not, no wuckins! :)

8. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Feedback on the presence of this story on MacRumors.com at all should be directed to:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367570

all existing posts on this topic have been moved to that thread. Sorry if it offends anyone.

Please try to keep posts on this thread about the topic itself.

arn

9. macrumors regular

Its to bad none of the links to their site currently work.
    Its 8:00am GMT+1 Time, so who knows...maybe their server is down for maintenance? Not even the home page comes up.

Peace

dAlen

10. macrumors 603

Multimedia

I'm Tracking This Product For Review

Should have a review up in the next week.

11. macrumors regular

No one else having trouble getting to the site?

Suppose its just my internet service - thats kind of weird. But I do live in the middle of nowhere in the country of Hungary, so it could be...mighty curious to try the program though. :)

Peace

dAlen

edit: just saw the update after I posted, thanks for link - i will try now.

12. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors newbie

I own Fission/Audio Hijack Pro along with WireTap Pro. And all I can say is WireTap Studio puts them all to shame. Its very simple to use, yet incredibly powerful. Not to mention elegant, which is a huge selling point to me. If a program looks ugly, my mind assumes it works ugly too.

15. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Ambrosia site is back up.

16. macrumors regular

One thing Im not totally clear on after watching the videos, and it has to do with layers.

If I understand the concept correctly, you can record from 2 different sources.
    Each source will be recorded separately, not picking up any computer noises - or any noise, for that matter, that doesnt come from the app that being recorded itself. (that is cool)

Now when you go to edit these two sources they are in the same window - new concept - but in theory you can add effects, ect. separately.

But do you have fine control over the edits? Fades, cuts, trims, etc.
    The ability to drag one clip up a few notches in the time line to fill in the 'gap' you make in the 'music' clip (for example.) If you can do this, than this is really sweet.

The app is looking to be pretty cool, its the app I wanted 7 years ago. :)
    Ad multilayer editing support and throw in 'insert tone' (various wave patterns with low frequencies) and this would be 'prime' ...that is for me. :D

Peace

dAlen

17. macrumors P6

twoodcc

so it can record directly from iTunes and Quicktime? that's pretty cool

18. macrumors regular

I won't buy this personally. Not because I wouldn't find it useful, quite the opposite, but their licensing methods get in my way. I frequently reinstall my machines (since I work in IT and frequently test things on my laptop, reinstall to build images, etc) and they require me to contact them for a new serial number every time I want to reinstall. The serial numbers expire after like 2 weeks. (Note: your license doesn't - just the serial number.)

It's been a pain with Snapz Pro, and my current system doesn't even have it installed anymore. I just got tired of the hoops. I understand why they feel they need to do it, but it's not very customer friendly.

19. macrumors 603

WireTap Studio eh.. must be Bush's favorite new app

20. macrumors regular

Uh...yes, that is pretty bad if that is the case - having to put a new serial number in every 2 weeks...Ive been playing with it most of the morning, trying to get a feel for what it does and does not do, but such a 'licensing plan' would turn me off from a purchase also.

In a follow up to a question I posed earlier concerning editing 2 tracks.
    It appears that you can only record 2 tracks, and though you can do a 'basic' edit of them in the same time-line (interesting, yet cool at the same time), you cannot do more advanced edits available within wiretap studio, let alone trying to slide and adjust the tracks (sync) to one another.

I feel that perhaps I may be missing something, as the whole point of having 2 tracks is useless if you cannot adjust them individually - in time - so that portions of them can sync with the other audio clip you have.

Also, it does not appear that you can drag a clip from another recording onto a single recording. If you want dual tracks, you must acquire them, from what I have seen, through recording from 2 different sources at the same time.

Im not explaining this clear enough, but perhaps one of they guys at wiretap, since they know the program inside out, kind of see where Im going with this.

Overall, its an interesting program that seems to have some potential...just trying to uncover the ins-and-outs of the program to see if it can do what I would like it to.

Peace

dAlen

21. macrumors 6502

Assuming it's like Ambrosia's other titles (Redline, EV:N, Snapz Pro), you don't re-enter a new serial. The one you're given is time sensitive. If you have to re-install it, it will go get you a new (valid but time sensitive) serial number if you're on the internet, or you can call them if you aren't.

Assuming you don't give out your serial on the internet, everything will go smoothly when you have to re-install. It's an anti-piracy measure, and I believe it works to an extent, and is totally non-invasive to me as a legitimate end-user.

22. macrumors newbie

licensing model

So what happens if Ambrosia's licensing site is down and I'm trying to do a reinstall at some odd hour? Will I have to call them in the middle of the night to get a new serial number? What happens if (unthinkably) Ambrosia ever went out of business? If I ever had to reinstall after that, their software would no longer work, if I understand correctly.

23. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Still cheaper to get Audio Hijack Pro + Fission.

24. macrumors member

Presumably, like most other small companies, if they went out of business they would find a way to open the software up. There are several products where when the company went out of business or discontinued the product, they'd either post a permanent key or let you download an unlock or something.

While I'm not a supporter of DRM, it's not anywhere near as invasive or annoying as most models of DRM are. Ideally, it would be unnecessary, but they don't have the time to go around voiding every CD key that winds up on the Interwebs.

25. macrumors 68040

iSee

LOL, that's exactly what happened to me--I own Snapz Pro but don't have it installed anymore. When I got my MBP, I just never installer it. I just didn't what to go through all that trouble again. They have some kind of auto-get-a-new-serial-number button, but of course it did not work. They should really work out a better system. Say, an activation limit.