Ambush Television

Discussion in 'Community' started by voicegy, Jul 5, 2003.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Shows such as "Scare Tactics" are becoming big business for network execs.

Taken from a recent article:

"Today's reality shows are pulling pranks on people that are more daring, more outrageous, and scarier than ever before Ñ and everyone is fair game. "This new kind of programming is designed to be shocking.Ê This new kind of programming is designed to be É just about over the edge," said Bob Thompson, who heads up the Center for Popular Television.

Thompson says he thinks some of the shows are morally bankrupt, but says there's a simple reason for all of this nasty ambush TV: it sells. "If we had lions and Christians devouring each other in the É Coliseum today in America, you would sell it out.ÊPeople would go. I think that's an absolute no-brainer."

Take an intro to 'Scare Tactics,' for example. "If you're like me and you enjoy seeing the pain and suffering of other people, then you've come to the right place," says Shannen Doherty, the host and chief prankster. In one hoax, Doherty has a kidÊbelieving he has shot someone.Ê"Oh my God!" she says. "What did you just do?"

:rolleyes:

OK, I just don't get it. First, I have to laugh at the stupid quote above "If we had lions and Christians devouring each other in the...Coliseum..." well, I, for one, don't recall that the Christians had a turn to eat the lions, but what do I know? As for Shannen's quote, "If you're like me..." well, sweetheart, I'm NOT like you, thank goodness, but what horrifies me is that apparently there are a lot of people who are.

What's up with kind of stuff, folks? Is this an "age" thing, because as a mid-lifer, I don't find ANY humor or interest in watching nor supporting such mean spirited trash. What happend to us? I recall the weeks after 9/11 when everyone, I mean EVERYONE around me were treating each other with respect, kindness...even love. People let others' in front of them on freeways. We said "Hello" to each other. We opened doors for each other. Volunteer organization memberships went through the roof. And now, a scant few years later from one of the most shocking episodes this country has ever faced, we sit like goons in front of the tube watching others' being trashed, humiliated, scorned and terrified...for ENTERTAINMENT?

Enlighten me.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Ambush Television

As a represenative of the teenage population I can say that not everyone is into this type of 'humor'. I like shows like triggerhappy TV because they freak people out sometimes, but its always in good taste and funny. Its nothing like punk'd on MTV, where they make celebrities believe they have done something horrible.

I think that this is just one step closer to the ultimate 'relaity' show, die on tv.

3. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

There is serious evidence that we are going the way of the Romans, and this is just another symptom of it. I'm not middle aged, and I don't find it funny either.

As far as the Roman thing goes, history tends to show that the major downfall of the Romans was when they started to rely on foreign conscripts to defend them, and we're doing the complete opposite.

So, societally we're losing our sense of morals as a whole, but I guess as long as we're defending everyone else's ass we haven't reached the most damning symptom of being ready to fall.....

Hey voiceguy, I didn't know you were the one who did the voice of the bad guy on "Gargoyles"?

4. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

This is called commercial television, what is new and up-to-date is what sells best with the main audience.

9-11 kicked everybody and made them realise that they are lucky to ba alive, thus the whole kindness thing you talked about.

But television can't stay sad forrever, they can't have memorials everyday to those lost, it's good for people and TV stations to put the past, as horrible as it may be, behind them.

5. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

I never heard of Gargoyles until you mentioned it, so I did a web search and I'm sorry to say that I missed what was obviously a quite a gem Disney series. Apparently the series had excellent music, and the voice acting was done by an incredibly talented and high profile cast, consisting largely of actors from the TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation. Guess I'll have to check out the DVD's!

I'm not sure if your reference was an "inside" thing...you don't know what I sound like, so I was surprised by the comment.:)

(I do mostly industrial narration and interactive cdroms...Kovacik is my last name...http://www.shamonfreitas.com/malevoices.htm)

I've silently thought that to myself. Can such a thing be too far off?:(

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Is that your primary job? Voiceovers? I listened to your voice, very cool :)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

From what I've heard the main attraction for producers to Ambush/Reality TV is that they are inexpensive to produce. On a program about them, one cost that they figure on is law suites. They just consider it a cost of doing business. At some point it's bound to hurt!

8. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Voiceguy -- unless I am mistaken it is Jonathan Frakes who did the voice of the chief badguy. The first season was pretty stellar IMO, but I didn't follow it after that for whatever reason.

BTW, I've always been interested in voice acting, as I'm pretty good with my voice and have acted in several shows but don't really have the look (or desire) to pursue conventional acting. I think I'm in the wrong part of the country for it, as far as entertainment-oriented voice acting goes.

Eventually I'll probably pursue making flash cartoons ala Joe Cartoon or something :)

"It's not what you do to live, it's what you live to do..." right?

Anyway....shame on those TV people/audience.......

9. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

Thanks, tazo. No, it's not my primary job...I'm the Information Technology Liaison for San Diego Unified School District...I work with vendors, school sites and district departments for technology needs, concerns, service and support, and making sure that our 70% install base of Apple products remains that way.;)

Oh, geeze, no wonder..."voicegy" and my avatar pic...well, I guess the cat is out of the bag. Yes, I'm Jonathan Frakes. Hi everyone! (not!) I picked the 'tar 'cause I resemble him a bit, but he's more handsome (but lately he's gained like 1000 pounds so...):eek:

OK, OK....back to it. What's next, gang, Death TV? Is this the beginning of the fall of Rome? Is history repeating itself? Or will the country REALLY swirl down the toilet if and when a couple of guys can say "I do" in a church, as the fundies have been screaming about lately? Sorry...I think they're screaming about the wrong thing...take a look at Ambush Television, folks; scares me a heck of a lot more. (not that Gay marriage scares me at all, but that's another thread!)