AMD: 64 Notebook News

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Chad4Mac, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Maybe this is old news, but AMD is geared to produce the Mobile 2800 which would let the PC world produce the first 64 notebook.

"Athlon64 launch targeted for September 24th. Based on our discussions with
    motherboard manufacturers and distributors, AMD is slated to launch three new Athlon64 processors on September 24th. The Athlon64 3200 operating at 2 GHz and Athlon64 5400FX operating at 2.17 GHz are targeted at the desktop PC market while the Athlon64 Mobile 2800 operating at 1.67 GHz is targeted at the notebook PC market. Prices for the Athlon64 3200, 5400FX, and Mobile 2800 are $404, $750, and $285, respectively."
    Source: First Call

The only thing this tells me is that Apple has got to have 64 Powerbooks in prototype, and wants to release them ASAP. I mean if, AMD is producing 64 Mobile, why can't IBM?

Chad4Mac

2. dxp4acu macrumors regular

every day that goes by without a new powerbook makes me believe that something more, something bigger is in the pipeline...

3. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously.

I really believe that something is up with the 15. What's with the delay? Inventory to big to release a major update? Problems fitting all that good stuff into the casing? Motorola shipment problems? Or they are planning to release a new 15 with the 670?

I'm not really sure, but it seems that inventory would be a serious issue in that I do not think it would make ANY sense to release a 15 1Ghz (same specs as Ti) only with a Al shell; that makes no sense at all.

I highly doubt that Moto could not supply the 1.25; though, the 1.33 is sounding like they are snails in producing it.

Fitting it in the case: Nonsense. They can fit that stuff in the Al. They most likely have been waiting for inventory.

I think that a 64 is going to be put into the powerbooks very shortly, as opposed to what Apple is letting us think. I think that they are waiting for enough 670s supply to go into the PB and Xserves.

Chad4Mac

4. dxp4acu macrumors regular

Yeah, i don't know. We shouldn't get all excited only to be disappointed, but it has been a while. Luckily I got my 12" in May!

That 970 looks huge in the new G5s, is it really that big? I didn't realize the g5 was so huge ( the enclosure compared to the g4).

The 970 doesn't look like it could fit in a PB. Is it just encased in that G5 box (inside the enclosure), or is that the real size?

5. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

The point to take with this AMD news is that they are making a mobile processor, and it should be out in September. If they are making a mobile processor, it would make sense that IBM would have considered a mobile processor -- and have been in development for some time.

Is it possible that IBM has developed a mobile processor, but the information has not been released?

How do we know that Apple hasn't created a unique cooling system that can cool the heat coming from the 1.6 G5? Maybe that is why the 15 is taking so long. They have been trying to prefect the cooling system for the powerbook enclosures.

I don't know, but I think that Apple has got something up their sleeve here with the Powerbooks...

Chad4Mac

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

man, thats just the heat sink, cpu's are usually very, very small

i've never had a look at the G4 in my imac, or a G5, but the P4 in my pc is the size of a quarter, and with the heatsink and fan on it, looks even bigger then the G5 heatsink

and i personally doubt the G5 is any hotter then the G4, keep in mind, those nine case fans are extreamly slow so as not to make noise, but still cool the thing, i guarentee they could have done it with 1 or two fans, just wouldn't be so quiet then

7. acj macrumors 6502

The actual die of a CPU is seldom over 1/2" by 1/2". So the G5 would fit in a notebook, just be too hot.

The athlon 64 is a very cool processor. They've already shown a working prototype laptop. The ppc970 is just too hot right now.

8. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, so the AMD 64 Mobile is cool. I see.

Well, if the 670 is that much hotter than the AMD Mobile, then maybe we won't see a 670 mobile. However, I have to say that Apple does have a 670 in a prototype Powerbook. They might be having some serious problems with the heat...

The next question is, why is the AMD 670 so much cooler than the 670?

Chad4Mac

9. acj macrumors 6502

Even the desktop version is remarkably cool, cooler than the G5.

10. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

That's just amazing.

How can it be that these processors run at different temps, even though they are so comparable (not techincally, but in 64 bit/32bit)?

What are hte running temps of the AMD 64 compared to the 670?

Chad4Mac

11. CooCooCaChoo macrumors newbie

1) 970 is based off the Power4+ core. Having used a Power4+ workstation loaded with AIX, if the 970 is anything like the Power4+ then any one with the idea of running a laptop with a 970 CPU is really deluding themselves.

2) Motorolla is still going to supply a good lot of G4 and G3s, however, it depends on whether Apple simply says to Motorola to go screw it, and get IBM to produce G4s. It would be a relatively easy task. Grab a G3, push the pipeline out to 12steps, throw 512K cache on board, chuck some Vector extensions and voila, you have a G4+, FSB of 200Mhz and will most likely be able to scale up to 2.5Ghz without too many issues.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I thought IBM was the one who is making the G3s for Apple now? As far as a G5 PowerBook, who knows, but it seems like wishful thinking that we'll get it anytime before next year. Heck, look how painfully difficult it seems to be just to get a new G4 PowerBook!

13. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

True that!

Everything is just wrong here. Do you think that Apple wanted to release a Al Powerbook line without including the 15! Something is up here! And, even though people clearly have pointed out the 670 is too hot, too big, or whatever, I think that Apple will release the 64 Powerbook -- and it will be a really big deal. I think that one of there goals is too release a 64 Powerbook -- and be the first to do, like always.

Who thought that they would release a 17 Powerbook? If you would have asked people about a product of that nature you probably would have received the, 'it is not possible, the sheer weight and size would make it unmarketable...you can't fit a 17in screen on a laptop..."

So, even though there are a lot of super Mac educated people commenting on NO 64 Powerbooks, I think there will be one -- in additon to a release of a 1.33 Ghz model. I think that the 64 will be a tad thinker, with a 15 and 17in screen.

But who knows?

Chad4Mac

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: AMD: 64 Notebook News

It's funny.. who's fighting the gigahertz myth now? Those poor chaps have dug themselves a hole (hopefully for MS's grave), its just a shame the pc users hadn't seen it all along.

15. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

It's a PowerPC 970, not 670. 970! :)

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Re: Re: AMD: 64 Notebook News

not entirely. AMD started the PR system pretty far back (at least 2.5 years ago).

Back then, AMD was already doing very well again Intel. P3's and the Williamettes couldn't beat processors that were clocked 100-300mhz less than them. Ditto for the 1.4ghz duron in its prime that took out higher clocked celerons.

I think it worked just fine. My 2100+ will easily dismantle a 2ghz or less williamette w/o a 2nd thought. And the 2100+ was probably at least 100 bucks cheaper. A 2.2ghz P4 B aka Northwood? i'm not as sure. But the 2100+ was MUCH cheaper than a 2.2ghz p4 (in those days).

The 2600+ were priced between the 2.53 and the 2.66 P4 B's and competed pretty well with the 533 fsb pentium 4's.

ASIDE from the the 3200+ or 3000+, the PR system has worked pretty well.

17. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Must have switched the 6/9! That's a boob!

chad4mac

18. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

does anyone have any figures on exactely how much heat the G5 puts out, because if everyone here is just basing the G5 being hot off of the 9 case fans, your probably wrong

19. mazda_rx7 macrumors newbie

Well, AMD has done it ! They have a 64 bit Athlon 64 notebook available. To be honest and give credit where credit is due, they have 3 lines of Athlon 64 bit cpu's for the future of 64 bit computing to meet the needs of the various user levels.

Link 1
    Link 2

AMD has Opteron (1st 64/32 bit cpu for the masses), Athlon 64 FX (900+ pins) and Athlon 64 (700+ pins). At one point, Apple even entertained the idea of using AMD cpu's in it's hardware (rumor ?).

Imagine the possibilities, OS X would have code written to support AMD cpu's, which would in turn have to be written for Intel and the computing world would be able to run on several OS platforms without the aid of other software that emulates another's OS boot.

For all intents and purposes, AMD is the leader over Intel and Apple at this stage of the game. Don't get me wrong, I like features about everyone's hardware, but this next link shows AMD is back on top performance wise and with 3 product lines of 64 bit computers, they are slotted to meet every need of the user segment/markets.

Link 3

This post may be my first, it's not intended to troll, just add to the discussion.

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Voodoo PC have had an Athlon 64 laptop for quite some time. This is old news. go to www.voodoopc.com and check it out.

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Those Voodoo laptops are insanely awesome. I have to admit that they tempted me during my long, painful wait over the summer for the new 15" PowerBooks to come out. I almost started getting wet dreams of an AMD 64 laptop running a 64-bit Linux. In the end, I just had to have my PowerBook, though, OS X is just too good to pass up and I love my baby.

22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ya but 8LBS?!?!?! and they don't even say if that is with or without the power brick. Holy! :eek:

Thanks but I want to carry a laptop not drag it on the ground behind me. :p

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I remember back in 1998/1999 8 lbs was considered on the lighter side of the laptop weight spectrum. Back then when I got my PowerBook G3 (6.4 lbs!) I was amazed since the Dell Inspiron I was looking at was a "mere" 9.4 lbs and on their website they claimed it was "lightweight and portable".

24. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

The casing is the heat-sync.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5