AMD acquires ATI for $5.4billion

Discussion in 'Games' started by seenew, Jul 24, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I doubt AMD would force ATi to stop selling to customers that don't use AMD processors- they'd essentially kill ATi's value, since Intel is still the majority (Dell doesn't use AMD, neither does Apple) and Intel just came out with a line of processors faster and cheaper than AMD's, meaning there will be even more adopters. It wouldn't be worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see AMD motherboards with integrated powerful ATi cards though. Who knows? Maybe even GPU sockets someday.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Here's hoping for a complete overhaul to nVidia.

Cheers.

5. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

*Lame guy from Dell comercial voice- "Dude, Dell's totaly have AMD's now.":D

Hmm, I wonder if ATI will still be the "media card," nVidia being the "gamer card," since AMD is like, the gamer chip.

6. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I definitely see Apple moving to AMD + Nvidia chipsets in the future.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I doubt it as well, but it's still a scary thought that it could potentially happen. Choice is always better for the consumer; without it, we are at the whim of the controlling companies.

I like the idea of the GPU socket, though it might make accessing the monitor in/outs a little difficult. Maybe it's just routed to somewhere else?

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

yeah i'd like to know 2 why?

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Uh...what?

AMD bought ATi. Why would Apple switch to AMD w/NVidia and not AMD w/ATi or Intel w/NVidia?

11. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Apple is in agreement with Intel. They get a good price cut from Intel (mostly due to Steve's great bargaining skills). If Apple were to ever use AMD, Intel would get pissed off and stop giving Apple a price cut. Apple and Intel have a good "buddy-buddy" thing going on right now, so if we see an AMD Mac, it won't be for a long time.