AMD announces Dual Core Opteron Pricing & Shipping April 21

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ~loserman~, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

2. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Wow! Oh well, remember how much Pentiums were when they first came to the market?

I'd say 6 months after the debut, we'll see some decent price drops.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Those are full retail prices, but still ... I guess I won't be dropping them in my Tyan S2881 any time soon.

4. noel4r macrumors 6502a

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Too bad they'll still ship with windows!
    A Ferrari Testarossa being driven by a 5 year old who can't push the pedals or steer properly!

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

so for the price of a dual 2.5GHz G5 you can have a dual core 2.2GHz opteron CPU, what amazing value.

7. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point.

But it also depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    For instance. If you need a 2/4/8 way dual core system you can build it with Opterons but you can't with G5's.
    For scientific computing a 16 processor core single system image machine can be quite handy to have. And having a cluster of them can be outstanding.
    So with the 8 Way dual core opterons you can build a system with the same comparable power as IBM's 16 processor Power 5 for 1/10th the price.

Of course most end users don't need systems like I am describing but In my line of work they are great.
    The memory bandwidth they can achieve is outstanding.
    Think about this....
    Memory bandwidth for an Opteron system double's when processors double.
    Ea core/processor has its own memory controller and delivers 6.4GB/s memory bandwidth per core. So an 8 way dual core can provide 102.4 GBs of memory bandwidth. You can build a system like this for $35k to 40k.
    SGI/IBM/CRAY would all charge you $500k plus for a comparable system.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

but for the cost of the buggers you may as well buy a few xserves. and save a packet.

to all pc users who lurk in the forum in general: tiger's UI is infinatly faster than panthers, my 600MHz ibook feels faster more responsive than anything i have ever used and this is on a 600MHz G3 :eek:.

9. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have 1835 Xserves. They are fine for some things. But useless for others.
    The scenario I described earlier was for codes that have very large memory footprints that still need very large floating point. The xserves can't run them. 1st because they can't provide enough memory and second because they can't provide enough computational performance.
    16 GBs ram and 2 G5's just don't cut it for some of our codes.
    Thats why we also have several 16 and 32 Processor IBM Regatta's.

10. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

That's what many people say about Jaguar and Panther.

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

12. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Check again fellas

Thats the Opteron 8xx series they are quoting with is designed for 4 way and 8 way systems. If you want to draw any price comparisons with a dual G5 setup, you need to look at the 2xx series Opterons which are 2 way. The Opteron 8xx series has always been a crapload more expensive than the equivalent 2xx chip. For example, a quick peruse of pricewatch.com shows that the 852 is $1475 whilst the 252 is $875. The 850 is $1130, the 250 is $669 and the 150 is $404. All of the x50 chips are the same differing only in the number of HT links.