Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I'm wondering if the "significant noise under high load" might come as an issue to Apple. Their Mac Pros are usually very silent even under really high loads.
Swap out the cooler for a non-reference design. A standard practice on better PC builds, and Apple is just as eligible to do so.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Tired of eating leftovers? Get a PC. ;)

Not sure why you're being voted down. But yes, I'm agree with you in case of a MacPro.

Being updated on super super slow phase, MacPro is a dish served cold.
It takes longer and longer for Apple to update the line. While something like Macbook Pro can get 2 updates (major & minor spec bump) in 2011.
Even Macbook Air get updated in less than 1 year since 2010!

It's only fair for Apple to keep MacPro line updated, even subtly. Why not silently including 6970 desktop GPU on 2011 MacPro? Keeping the same price tag for 2 years old hardware is just fishy.

So yes, if I really need a "Pro" workstation today, I'd get a PC instead. Vote me down you blind fanboys!!

Last edited:

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
No crap they don't make these just for the Mac market. Usually these kinds of GPUs aren't released until months after the initial announcement. The 7970 was just released today. I'm not saying they're 100% dedicated, but just the fact that they announced both the PC and Mac hardware on the same day is good to hear (I edited my original post to reflect this).

They haven't announced anything for Mac. They have only revealed a graphics card.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Shame it will be ruined by OS X poor opengl implementation and terrible drivers. I have 2 preordered myself and cant wait.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Interesting. I have a 2007 MacPro 8 core 3ghz and just upgraded to a nice ATI 4870 1gb x2 with 2 46" TV's and it runs my Windows 7 Games really well. So I am still trying to figure out where the left overs are? Oh an I am also running Windows 8 DP.

While the 4870 still is a decent card (I have a 4890, almost the same) you obviously don't have very high demands when it comes to setting in games and frame rate when there's a lot if action on the screen.
Or you're playing older less demanding games, I don't know.

Anyway, also the operating system and many ”graphics intensive” applications can benefit from a better graphics card.

So yes, in some ways — when it comes to graphics hardware power — we are missing out as Mac users.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It kind of defeats the entire point of upgradeable graphics when there are no cards to upgrade to. Apple sucks the big one in this department. They have NO ONE to blame but themselves for waning Mac Pro sales. They can't expect someone to shell out over $3k for something that is slower than a $1200 iMac in graphics simply because they never update the darn thing or offer any upgrades for it. :rolleyes:
The Mac Pro is the only option for expansion but it is lacking in video cards. Drives and I/O are more plentiful but that only goes so far. Not to mention that a video card is a much more flexible expansion card with gaming and computation functions in one package.

And a ton of it too, $145.00 for OEM Windows 7 Pro.
$US 124.99 around here. I like Apple's notebooks but I do not believe Apple has been worthy of my money. Not to mention the entire reason is to run Windows on it.

My Macbook is really starting to show its age in terms of physical condition and performance.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Pretty much this.

If you are a gamer and you use macbook to play games, then all I can say is that you are an idiot.

I'm beginning to not even like my MP anymore. I'm a hardcore gamer, and Apple's stuff is just too costly and takes freaking FOREVER to get an update. I'm seriously considering selling my MP and building a hackintosh/Win 7 machine.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
It kind of defeats the entire point of upgradeable graphics when there are no cards to upgrade to. Apple sucks the big one in this department. They have NO ONE to blame but themselves for waning Mac Pro sales. They can't expect someone to shell out over $3k for something that is slower than a $1200 iMac in graphics simply because they never update the darn thing or offer any upgrades for it. :rolleyes:

Because corporations, businesses & enterprise just don't upgrade their workstations on a regular basis. Its not cost effective. The field offices I've worked in would upgrade a machine maybe once in a 3 or 4 years cycle since I've been there, if that. And most likely get a new version graphics card if it was a repair.

While the average geek, nerd, tech has to get the latest and greatest just because they want it and not necessarily need it mentality.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
It's just such a shame that Apple has given up any interest in offering normal consumers any computer in their range to take these things.

It's either a giant laptop on a stand (iMac) with a mobile chipset, or a Mac Pro at the other extream outside most budgets, and at a price point no one will really develop mass market entertainment software to support, given it's price.

I wonder if Apple will ever make a "Proper" home computer again like it used to?
I hope they do as I'm sure it would sell really well.

While I agree with your sentiment, I suspect most "normal" consumers never upgrade their graphics cards. I imagine they use their computers until they break or are no longer "fast enough" for whatever reason (not enough memory, spyware, viruses, graphics card, etc.). Then they just buy a new one.

Remember, the fact that we're on this board suggests we're not normal consumers. As much as I would love a graphics card swappable iMac or iMac equivalent (or the much sought-after xMac), I suspect most users would never use the feature. At least, not enough to justify the inherent costs to Apple.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I wonder if Apple will ever make a "Proper" home computer again like it used to? I hope they do as I'm sure it would sell really well.
The folks that say this interest me.

Apple has lower price points in dollar terms and dollar value terms than ever.

Apple delivers more value per box than ever, in more locations, ways and methods than ever.

The cost on any measure is about half than at anytime in the past 5-7+ years.

OBTW they sell uber well.

So WTF are you saying again?

:D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This GPU looks big and ugly. And it's probably runs hot and noisy. But hey it's fast right?

I'll wait for a new mobile (iMac/MBP) GPU comes out thanks.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow! I thought the rumours were all set that Apple was going to update the Pro line! But now even this site is stating they are yet to show a commitment to the line!?
At least these cards are nice, lets hope the drivers are a good clue.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
MacBook pro

Laptops are 2/3 of computer sales

It's just such a shame that Apple has given up any interest in offering normal consumers any computer in their range to take these things.

It's either a giant laptop on a stand (iMac) with a mobile chipset, or a Mac Pro at the other extream outside most budgets, and at a price point no one will really develop mass market entertainment software to support, given it's price.

I wonder if Apple will ever make a "Proper" home computer again like it used to?
I hope they do as I'm sure it would sell really well.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Tired of eating leftovers? Get a PC. ;)
Amen brother!! Sorry but Mac's just aren't gaming machines people.

How about a $200-$250 GPU that is on a 1:1 price ratio for the Mac? I don't need a $500+ card just something modern without an inflated Mac price tag.
You paid a premium for a Mac, why not pay premium for a vid card for that mac?
OMG! Apple is copying Windows.
Not copying, just trying to catch up.... not doing a very good job IMHO but hey, it's a start.
Interesting. I have a 2007 MacPro 8 core 3ghz and just upgraded to a nice ATI 4870 1gb x2 with 2 46" TV's and it runs my Windows 7 Games really well. So I am still trying to figure out where the left overs are? Oh an I am also running Windows 8 DP.
Didn't you buy a mac to run X.... why would you wan't to run PC software on a Mac? Grass not greener?
So you are using a PC thus confirming the statement in the original post.
Bingo!
Pretty much this.
If you are a gamer and you use macbook to play games, then all I can say is that you are an idiot.
I won't call them an idiot but I will laugh at them....
Why not have both?
Why spend the money on both when you can build a PC for half the $$ that will do what both machines will do?
Keeping the same price tag for 2 years old hardware is just fishy.
So yes, if I really need a "Pro" workstation today, I'd get a PC instead. Vote me down you blind fanboys!!
Oh, don't worry, they will. FB can't stand being told the truth.

Sorry guys you can say how great your Mac is and how much better it is than a PC..... Nope, sorry, go to jail and don't pass go. Sure they're great for some things but when it comes to gaming it just can't hold a candle to a PC. PLUS why are all you guys running horrid windows on your mac? I always love when you talk crap about PC's yet mirror windows on your machine. IF it was so great you wouldn't need to run windows. Just saying.

Last edited:

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Does Apple ever announce that they're going to discontinue something? I mean what a dickish move it would be to have people wait around for over a year in anticipation of something that's never going to come.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I'm looking to upgrade the video card on my Mac Pro 3,1 from the HD 2600 that came with it so any new entrants to push the price down of what's currently out there would be nice. I really don't want to pay $275 for a 2+ year old card with hacked firmware that only shows a boot menu once I've completed a connected display checklist. :(

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Like the new Graphics card design for the Mac Pro line hopefully they still continue the Mac Pro Line for awhile more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.