AMD files antitrust suit against Intel

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jun 28, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I wonder if Apple could be involved in this somehow.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm sure it's possible, but I think Apple, of all companies, would know what it's like to be on the other end of this.

5. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

I didn't know Intel was a italian mob company
    :eek:

Apple better watch out particularly if they ever want to do business with IBM or Freescale in the future again. :p

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

This is an interesting story. I wonder how it will pan out.

Is AMD just crying foul becuase their business isn't so hot? Or perhaps Intel did something (close to) what they are accused of.

I hope it doesn't affect future Mactel machines, that's for sure.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Not at the moment. AMD have posted an open letter and the complaint itself. The deals they specifically mention in their initial complaint are Hewlett-Packard, Dell, IBM/Lenovo, Fujitsu/Siemens, Acer, Toshiba, NEC, Sony and Gateway/eMachines. Oddly, there are several sellers of AMD-based systems in their list.

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Else Jobs wakes up with a G4 logic board in his bed. :eek:

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

What's the problem!? AMD can't take a little competition? ;)

10. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Is Intel actually a monopoly though? I don't know their current marketshare but I'm guessing it's "only" in the 75% area.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

According to the AMD complaint, Intel have 90% of the market in dollars, 80% in units.

12. iceTrX macrumors regular

Even if Intel didn't have a monopoly, their business practices as described by AMD are not only sick but very much illegal.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What happens if AMD wins this one? What can the government do?

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Intel will get a ticket. And a warning from the officer: "Now don't do that again."

irmongoose

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There are a lot of things that can be done.

I don't think the law allows for jail time. There are fines, censure and condemnation.

3 antitrust suits come to mind. AT&T, IBM and Microsoft.

IBM was forced into some consent decrees which wound up crippling its computer operations and are responsible for it current situation. The Hardware people could talk to the software people or the peripheral people. There was actually better cooperation between IBM and 3rd party providers than there was between business units. This was enforced by audits and anal probes.

AT&T was split into 9 companies. Many have been renamed. A couple are in the process of merging (!) In general they have almost all done well, probably better than they would have as a whole.

Microsoft was forced into a consent decree that said they would ship a version of windows 98 without Internet Explorer...

If something like IBM happens to Intel look for wild marketing plans based on physically impossible chip designs, insane production faults, and 2*2 being officially redefined as 5... Truly dark days.

In the AT&T scenario Intel would be split into a sales marketing company that would buy chips wholesale from the foundry and resell them. The foundry would make chips under license from a design company. The marketing company would own the Intel and Pentium names as well as the rest of the trademarks. It would also have the bulk of the cash. The foundry would own the chip buildings and process patents. The design company would have a chunk of the cash and design patents and copyrights. There might even be 2 or 3 design companies based on different chip families with cross-licensed IP. This would lead to a lot of innovation and far fewer marketing shenanigans.

In the microsoft scenario Intel would stop providing marketing money for companies that only ship computers containing the Pentium3...

Looks like the MS scenario will happen

16. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Keep an eye on overclockers.com. The owner usually writes well
    thought out articles on AMD vs Intel issues. He is saying he will
    have some thoughts on it in a few days. (You may want to avoid
    any Apple articles you see there unless you like to have you blood
    boil )

Cheers - Greg