Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kim Sanka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Finally the Oculus Rift is available for pre-order. The people from Oculus provided a Rift compatibility tool for Windows to find out if your PC is compatible. I ran this tool in Bootcamp, on Windows 10 and it appears the pro-level AMD FirePro D500 cards in my expensive Mac Pro (late 2013) don’t meet the Rift’s recommended specification.

OR-comp.jpg

I’m going to order a Rift anyway because I think VR is to most exciting technology since... yeah well... the internet. I just sincerely hope I’m not going to have to buy a separate computer on top of my almost €4000 costing Mac Pro to enjoy the technology to the fullest.

What do you guys think, start saving up for a new computer?

Arron Rouse

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Chichester, UK

IMO, yes. Because your expensive Mac Pro will probably last you 2-3 times longer if you don't play games on it. I don't mean that from a reliability point of view, I mean it from a work point of view.

Also, it makes far more sense to have a specific machine for games. It can sit in the lounge attached to a big screen TV/projector and go through your surround sound system. You get to loaf around on the sofa. Much more fun.

Edit: Oh, and if there are no games on your work machine, it makes goofing off much less tempting and much more obvious.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
D500's are apparently based on some 7870XT

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/meet-the-nmp-d500-aka-radeon-7870.1659453/

So are lower spec then the R9 290 that they have stated is required.

Mac Pro's aren't built for Gaming which appears to be where rift is being marketed at the moment. They are designed as FCP X video editing machines. Is what the nMP is demonstrated on as that is where it shines. They link to asus gaming machines and alienware/dell gaming machines as oculus ready.

Would always suggest that you have a separate games rig for Windows.

Kim Sanka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Thanks for your replies. I don't really understand why my Mac Pro would last longer if I don't play games on it.

I didn't buy the Mac only for work. It's my home computer, I do some "work" on it but I also use it for entertainment. I live very small. It doesn't really make sense for me to buy a second computer for my lounge because my desk is right next to it.

When running the Maxon's Cinebench tool my graphics score ends up on top of the list together with top of the line gaming machines. When I was on Windows 8 I could play fairly recent games on three screens with the graphic settings maxed out. I is just a bit weird (and disappointing) to me that one of the most powerful computers on the market is not powerful enough to run VR while others that cost about a quarter of the price can.

I'll test it first when my Rift arrives but I will start saving up for a new computer (again). Getting more and more disappointed in Apple.

Reactions: MH01 and H2SO4

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
You don't buy a Mac Pro, especially one with non-changeable GPUs, to play video games on.

If you really want VR without having to buy another $1000 computer, get a PS4 and Playstation VR when it's out in the next few months. Performance is said to be very close to the Oculus, the machine you need to run the platform is cheaper at $349, and PS VR will likely be less expensive than the disaster of a price the Oculus Rift is.

The lower pricing combined with Sony's install base for the PS4, which is currently at 36 million worldwide, means that developers are going to more strongly support developing titles for Sony's machine. In fact, according to an estimate by NVIDIA, only 13 million PCs will have the graphics capability needed to run VR in 2016. Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...re-powerful-enough-to-support-virtual-reality

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Finally the Oculus Rift is available for pre-order. The people from Oculus provided a Rift compatibility tool for Windows to find out if your PC is compatible. I ran this tool in Bootcamp, on Windows 10 and it appears the pro-level AMD FirePro D500 cards in my expensive Mac Pro (late 2013) don’t meet the Rift’s recommended specification.

OR-comp.jpg

I’m going to order a Rift anyway because I think VR is to most exciting technology since... yeah well... the internet. I just sincerely hope I’m not going to have to buy a separate computer on top of my almost €4000 costing Mac Pro to enjoy the technology to the fullest.

Get an eGPU from MVC (when avail) may be a better and cheaper option to enjoy your VR on the nMP.

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Saying he's using a pro machine wrong is crazy. It's not like the Mac Pro being intended for productivity is a great excuse for low end video cards.

And consider the alternatives... Where is the Mac with great gaming graphics cards?

The home / entertainment macs come with low end graphics chips also.

So it's only natural that one would have higher expectations from the most expensive mac.

The simple truth... Don't expect a mac to be a gaming machine. Apple always skimps on graphics cards.

Reactions: H2SO4

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
Looking at 3DMark benchmarks the D500 scores just a hair below the oculus recommended specs. It should work fine for a lot of the oculus designed games with simpler graphics as long as both GPUs are used. Obviously it won't be ideal for more demanding VR games. The D700 is the only current mac that exceeds the recommended performance for the rift.

With any luck we will get a new mac pro this year with updated GPUs that should blow the old ones out of the water.

Reactions: bernuli

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
Looking at 3DMark benchmarks the D500 scores just a hair below the oculus recommended specs. It should work fine for a lot of the oculus designed games with simpler graphics as long as both GPUs are used. Obviously it won't be ideal for more demanding VR games. The D700 is the only current mac that exceeds the recommended performance for the rift.

With any luck we will get a new mac pro this year with updated GPUs that should blow the old ones out of the water.
Yeah, it really should be fine, especially since there's 2 d500's in there.
For comparison, my windows PC has 2 GTX 780's in it. The rift compatibility checker says that my GPU is too slow to work, but since I have 2 of them in SLI, it actually works JUST FINE with the DK2 hardware I'm borrowing right now. (I've tried out iRacing and Elite with it so far)
Crossfire the d500's under windows and enjoy your VR.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Mac Pro's aren't built for Gaming which appears to be where rift is being marketed at the moment.
Why bring "gaming" into the discussion. Not by coincidence, "virtual reality" requires some of the same capabilities as gaming (such as high performance 3D graphics).

The MP6,1 (unless, for today, it has the top GPU) is below the threshold for supporting one of the most exciting new developments around.

Ask Phil "My Ass" Schiller about his innovative, non-upgradeable cylinder now, when most of them are useless for the latest technology.... (OMG, I can't believe how many hits "phil my ass schiller" gets on a web search - I just checked to make sure my spelling was right.)

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
Yes, the GPU's are old. Like I SAID, I agree with you on that. :rolleyes: Apple should feel bad about the GPU's in the nMP.
My problem is that you have now spent 3 G-DAMN YEARS crapping every thread on this board that has even the most tangential connection to this subject.
It's annoying and doesn't contribute to constructive discussions. It's a settled subject. Apple's wrong, you're right. Deal with it! :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yes, the GPU's are old. Like I SAID, I agree with you on that. :rolleyes: Apple should feel bad about the GPU's in the nMP.
My problem is that you have now spent 3 G-DAMN YEARS crapping every thread on this board that has even the most tangential connection to this subject.
It's annoying and doesn't contribute to constructive discussions. It's a settled subject. Apple's wrong, you're right. Deal with it! :D
My comments had nothing to do with the fact that the MP6,1's ancient GPUs are, well - ancient.

My comments were that the people who were saying "Ick - games. Apples don't do games." were missing a major point.

That point is that VR (and Oculus in particular) is raising an expectation of graphics performance that very expensive current MP6,1's can't meet, and can't be upgraded to meet. VR needs some of the same features and performance as games - Apple is falling further behind.

The requirements are pretty high. My GTX 960 in my home workstation doesn't meet them - but it's fairly easy and cheap to gift the 960 to another system and put in a 970 or 980.

If you have an MP6,1 with less than the D700 - the only real option is to sell and get a new box (or tube).

If you bought a PC this year with a weak graphics card, you upgrade the graphics. If you bought an MP6,1 this year with weak graphics, you toss the trash can into the (eBay) trash can and buy a whole new system.

Perhaps Apple needs to look at the gaming market from a new perspective - or slide into irrelevance.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Aiden, Explain to me then. For what reason are dual GPUs, and SLI/Crossfire setups?

If you have single R9 290/GTX970 - that is your minimal requirement for Oculus. It is illogical to think that you if you have more powerful dual GPU setup it will not run Rift.

And I agree with you. D700s are ancient, and MP should have been updated long time ago in this area.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
My comments had nothing to do with the fact that the MP6,1's ancient GPUs are, well - ancient.

My comments were that the people who were saying "Ick - games. Apples don't do games." were missing a major point.

That point is that VR (and Oculus in particular) is raising an expectation of graphics performance that very expensive current MP6,1's can't meet, and can't be upgraded to meet. VR needs some of the same features and performance as games - Apple is falling further behind.

The requirements are pretty high. My GTX 960 in my home workstation doesn't meet them - but it's fairly easy and cheap to gift the 960 to another system and put in a 970 or 980.

If you have an MP6,1 with less than the D700 - the only real option is to sell and get a new box (or tube).

If you bought a PC this year with a weak graphics card, you upgrade the graphics. If you bought an MP6,1 this year with weak graphics, you toss the trash can into the (eBay) trash can and buy a whole new system.

Perhaps Apple needs to look at the gaming market from a new perspective - or slide into irrelevance.

Not missing a point at all.

http://www.alienware.com/landings/oculus/

http://www.asus.com/event/2015/ocul...m&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=oculusmember

Are where gaming comes into it. These are the links for the Oculus Ready systems from the Oculus Site.

Whats been bundled with All Pre-Order, Yes you guessed it Games.

As such it seems fairly obvious (to me) that they are promoting this with gaming! even if only initially. Of course VR has other uses but at the moment with giving away games and linking to gaming systems, then that is where the vendor seems to be focusing on at the moment.

Hence the comments about gaming.

The option if you have an nMP is to actually use the appropriate systems for the tasks you require. Not bin it and buy a new one.

Is why I run 3 systems at home

iTunes/Elgato PVR System - mini 2009
Video Editing/Photo Editing/DVD Ripping etc - Mac Pro 2010
Web Browsiing/Forums/Light Gaming (old games ported to OS X YEARS after Windows ) MBP 2008

There used to be windows gaming system in a Lian Li 343B as well originally but don't bother with gaming anymore other then Total War: Rome and Command & Conquer Generals on OS X, hence no longer need a Windows machine alongside the Mac Pro.

This is in a 1 Bedroom Flat so hardly the most spacious area into which put multiple systems either.

Oculus hardly seem interested either as don't support anything other then Windows, you can argue is a Chicken and Egg, with so little OS X machines being of the necessary spec then why develop for OS X. On the other hand why would Apple care to bring such machines to market as no support from the vendor.

Perhaps it is time for the posting of the "why MVC Cards are epic failures" with the constant posting of the same thing over and over again of the nMP.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Aiden, Explain to me then. For what reason are dual GPUs, and SLI/Crossfire setups?
Hence the comments about gaming.
Is Oculus Rift a game? Badda Bing!

VR needs graphics performance similar to many games, so no surprise that "gaming systems" meet the requirements.

Anyway, sad that whatever it is, most MP6,1 systems (in fact, most Apple systems) don't meet the requirements, and never will. On the other hand, a simple GPU upgrade will add support for older cMP systems and those systems running the more popular OSs.

Do you not see the pattern here?

Last edited:

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
Is Oculus Rift a game? Badda Bing!

VR needs graphics performance similar to many games, so no surprise that "gaming systems" meet the requirements.

Anyway, sad that whatever it is, most MP6,1 systems (in fact, most Apple systems) don't meet the requirements, and never will. On the other hand, a simple GPU upgrade will add support for older cMP systems and those systems running the more popular OSs.

Do you not see the pattern here?

Relax. None of the VR headsets are even out yet. This year will be a big one for GPUs and Apple like the rest of PC manufacturers are sure to use them in their systems. At the very least thunderbolt 3 should bring support for external GPUs in bootcamp.

There is certainly creative potential in VR and if its one thing Apple likes it is to appear "cool" to creative people. It wouldn't surprise me to see some VR related APIs announced at WWDC this year. Maybe at the very least driver support for VR.

TheRacerMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
As koyoot & MacVidCards stated, the FirePro GPUs in the nMP are not exactly workstation GPUs - they are just rebranded Radeon HD 7xxx series cards with extra VRAM that are underclocked (they have the same device ID). D300 is 1002:6810 (same as Radeon R7 270X, which is Curacao XT [like Pitcairn]); D500 is 1002:679E (same as Radeon HD 7870 XT, which is Tahiti LE); D700 is 1002:6798 (same as Radeon HD 7970, which is Tahiti XT). They don't even have ECC RAM - it's just standard GDDR5.

Anyways, D500 should be playable with the Rift at lower settings & D700 CFX would be recommended - that is, for the Mac Pro. Obviously a newer GPU, such as a R9 390X/GTX 980 or R9 Fury X/GTX 980 Ti (or Titan X) (again, preferably in CFX/SLI) would be a better choice for VR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.