AMD Launches Turion64 Mobile Processor

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JCheng, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JCheng macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    Heard the news this morning. Looks like AMD is finally getting serious about competing with Intel (and specifically, the Pentium M) in the mobile market.

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Somebody's bound to say it: If AMD can make a 64 bit laptop CPU, then PowerBook G5s must be here on Tuesday! :p
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Or Wednesday. ;)

But it's nice to see another electronics company decide that, Apple's dark days of the Performa and PowerMac confusing Model Numbers and differing CPUs thrown in, is a good idea.

This should royally confuse the heck out of end-users at the store.

Errr, which one is better know nothing Mr. Salesman?

This One (as he points to the floor stock unit that Mr. Manager says he want cleared out).
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    Don't be modest, Saturday along with tiger :rolleyes:
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Well, do you want kids or not? :p

And it takes quite a bit of skill to make a laptop with only 1 or 2 fans than it does to make a laptop with 5 fans in it that gets 40 minutes of battery life....
  6. elevenpower macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2005
  7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I have to say that, while I am very impressed with AMD's CPUs, I am rather less impressed about their silly "smoke and mirrors" naming system that amounts to a super-disingenious attempt to mask actual clock speed.

I'm sure it will be quite a performer, if any of their other hardware is a good indicator.

Maybe Apple should institute a new naming system: All new Powerbooks will ship with a new renamed G4 called a "3GHz" or "4GHz", which will clock in at 1.5 GHz or 1.67GHz respectively.

8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i am not surprised amd is at the forefront, again

they hit 1 ghz first on a desktop chip and now they have this mobile processor

when in bought my pc laptop in 1999, it had a 366 mhz k6-II mobile processor which not only was cheaper than the mobile celeron, but also had more level 1 and level 2 cache

it benchmarked close to that of the much more expensive mobile pentium II of the time and a laptop with the k6-II cost about five hundred dollars less with similar appointments in the screen, hard drive, and ram

and when i upped the ram from 32 to 160 mb, the whole computer just zipped and it ran microsoft flight simulator with no problem

as the years went by i was really impressed with the mobile athlons in laptops and their better price point than the equivalent pentium IIIs and 4s, so i do look forward to seeing what the turion 64 offers and if i get a pc, to keep company with my mac (of course), i may just buy a laptop with this new amd mobile processor