Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
TLDR: Metal/DX12 won't do anything by themselves but will require some dedication from developers, so whether the FPS gap between Windows and OS X will be smaller remains to be seen.
Sure, sure. But newer games will inevitably embrace Mantle and the likes, and Metal/DX12 don't differentiate too much from each other as far as I know...we'll see :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Definitely not, they share some next gen api principles but metal is lacking of many dx12 features for now...

Still, both APIs are out now and they'll be fully embraced in the coming months and years. I'm bullish on that tech, I think users are gonna see the benefits real soon.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
Yep, thats what im expecting swell. The 21" will come out with the rebrand M395X as found in the El Capitan code.
I assume the 27" will get an Sky-late update in Q2 2016 with AMD graphics with HBM2.
Apple is never in a hurry to put a decent graphics card in a iMac.
Maybe they will even wait longer and first bring out a new mac Pro.

Its about time apple invests in some better GPU solutions.
They always have the best of the best CPU's but combine it with mediocre GPU's.

They some times get it right

Apple put the GTX680mx in the late 2012 model - great card for the machine...

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

AsprineTm

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
Still hoping the AMD fury chip will be an option in the 27".
Hope it will show up in el capitan drivers when released

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Amd fury is a mobile gpu? if its desktop class no chance, imac always used mobile gpu for many years

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
m295X which is used in latest reina imac is rated at 250W. So R9 Nano looks like best choice for imac
Not true. Specifications list the M295X at 125 W. Its possible it can use slightly more power than this, but certainly not up to 250 W. That is in full size desktop GPU territory.

Does the AMD R9 Nano even fit into the iMac?
While Apple wouldn't use an off the shelf Nano with a traditional PCIe slot, it is certainly possible that the Fiji GPU that the Nano is based on could appear in the iMac. They would need to cut the power consumption down from 175 W to ~125 W though.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
R9 fury nano is rated for 170W so it would be possible...IF they want to do it...

Still think it's unlikely. Then again, it would be the best AIO hands down, but I guess such a move inevitably raises the price :/

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Pathetic GPU choices are the only thing that keeps stopping me from ever getting iMacs.

Would love to see a return to NVIDIA and closer to "new models" or even the Fury Nano.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
i see only CPU Max, where are the stats with GPU + CPU max?

That is what Apple are referring to as maximum load. Yes we all know that technically it's misleading but you must have heard of people referring to an entire desktop unit as the 'CPU'.

Anyway if you want more detail:-
Power consumption for this cutting-edge display and the computer that drives it was surprisingly low. The peak figure with screen at maximum brightness and CPU and GPU both under benchmark stress was 215 W.
Source:- http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-desktops/retina-imac-in-depth-review-lab-test-3581076/

But I'm not doing any more of your homework for you, I have made it clear with references that the database you linked is clearly incorrect. If you still aren't convinced then look for yourself, there are lots of other data points.

Last edited:

mosher

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Germany/Ukraine
That is what Apple are referring to as maximum load. Yes we all know that technically it's misleading but you must have heard of people referring to an entire desktop unit as the 'CPU'.

Power consumption for this cutting-edge display and the computer that drives it was surprisingly low. The peak figure with screen at maximum brightness and CPU and GPU both under benchmark stress was 215 W.
Source:- http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-desktops/retina-imac-in-depth-review-lab-test-3581076/

But I'm not doing any more of your homework for you, I have made it clear with references that the database you linked is clearly incorrect. If you still aren't convinced then look for yourself, there are lots of other data points.
in this article nothing about CPU and GPU built in the machine with 215W

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005

It is possible that the numbers in the apple support article do not include a stressed GPU. For example, the Mac Pro results are clearly not using the GPU, as the processor is rated for ~140 W and the total system power is less than < 250 W. Anandtech finds that the Mac Pro hits ~450 W at max load.

Taking a guess at the power consumption of the iMac 5k looks like:

100-150 W for display (taken from the Dell 5k display)
90 W for CPU (intel 4790k)
25-50 W for SSD/HDD/motherboard (I made this up)

This puts us at 215-290 W without the GPU. Almost at the 288 W number in the Apple support article. So it is possible that no GPU is included in these tests. However, the difference between the core i5 iMac and the core i7 is 90 W, more than could be explained by just an upgraded CPU at full load. However, part of it could be a more heat being generated by the idling M295X compared to the M290.

Also, I had a lot of trouble finding more data points measuring the power consumption. In fact, probably the best guess for determining the power consumption of the M295X would be extrapolating from the AMD r9 285/380 (they are both based on Tonga). However this would be challenging due to the differences in core count and clock speed.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Amd released R9Nano with 175W TDP, so i think it can be put in the next 27" imac this oct instead of M395x right? and i think its better too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.