AMD Radeon HD5770 with official AMD driver

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stingray, Sep 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2006
    Hi all,

I just installed Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium on my new 6-core Mac Pro with Boot Camp. So far no problems, except that I can't install the official Catalyst drivers from AMD/ATI's homepage - the installation goes through, however it fails with en error saying that the Video Driver couldn't be installed. I previously installed all Boot Camp drivers.

Anyone had the same problems already? I need the official AMD drivers because I have more than one display and want to group them with Eyefinity for gaming.

Thanx in advance,
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2006

Uninstalling all ATI drivers and reinstalling from scratch didn't help - somehow the latest ATI display driver has an issue with the Mac Pro - however what helped was intalling the shipped Apple ATI driver (from Bootcamp) AFTER installing the latest official drivers - that way only the control manager installed first and after the error message the ATI driver that Apple delivers installed fine. So now I have an Eyefinity display array working flawlessly over 2 displays!

Maybe installing only the control center after the Bootcamp drivers would have also worked.

3. aki
    macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2004
    Great to hear you got it working the way you wanted. Bit disappoitning that video card manfacturers aren't yet writing their drivers taking mac hardware into account (bootcamp is pretty common these days).

Oh well.