Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I'm using HDMI which isn't an issue with my old AMD Radeon HD 6800

At some point when you have problems like these, it's really worth looking at the stuff we normally assume to be working.

I wanted to tell you to toggle through the inputs of your monitor, but it sounds like you're using the same cable (not switching from DP to HDMI) and same monitor input that you previously used? Then both cable and setup should be OK.

On my MSI RX 480, I can switch between DP and HDMI and both work fine. But since we're talking about an unsupported configuration, I would tests a DP cable if I were you. Just borrow from someone to test...

Newtsrock

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
At some point when you have problems like these, it's really worth looking at the stuff we normally assume to be working.

I wanted to tell you to toggle through the inputs of your monitor, but it sounds like you're using the same cable (not switching from DP to HDMI) and same monitor input that you previously used? Then both cable and setup should be OK.

On my MSI RX 480, I can switch between DP and HDMI and both work fine. But since we're talking about an unsupported configuration, I would tests a DP cable if I were you. Just borrow from someone to test...

My monitor however only supports HDMI do you think a converter would work???

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
My monitor however only supports HDMI do you think a converter would work???

I think it was my previous graphics card, the 280X, that came with a mDP tp HDMI plug... my current one didn't.

But yes, a plug like that would allow you to test using one of the mDP or DP (which is what you have I guess) outs of your graphics card. It's a annoying since everything is trail and error. I'd would be nice to at least test it without having to buy an adaptor.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
I just enabled some more CU's with a script i found in another thread (End of first post). It seems that the CU's are hard coded or something like that as my RX470 should have 32 CU's as far as i know and not 36 CU's.

Compute Score got better:

Geekbench:
Geekbench.png

up about 33% from before (Geekbench Open CL score with 16 CU's was 86189).

Luxmark:
Luxmark.png
I do not have the Luxmark score from before.

Open GL Score (Valley / Heaven) seems to be about the same as before.

Edit:
Did some more tests with Luxmark.

Hotel Scene:
LuxmarkHotel.png

Luxmark Mic:
LuxmarkMedium.png

Peak Power Usage (Slot 2 & PCIe Boost combined) about 10,89 A at 12 Volts = 130,68 Watts.

Last edited:

Newtsrock

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
What if i try using my iGPU? I see other people are having black screens without accelerating it... should I try?

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Do you have any other PCIe cards in your Mac Pro? Try swapping the GPU between Slot 1 and Slot 2.

Jackdown_101

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2017
Do you have any other PCIe cards in your Mac Pro? Try swapping the GPU between Slot 1 and Slot 2.

Hi again!

Nope nothing else plugged in and it's reading the same in 1 and 2. I know that when my 5770 was in it was being read as a 16x card so I think all that's ok. So now wondering if any of the pins are damaged or somesuch.

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Can you post the screen shot of PCI section in System Information? I remember when I had 2 Polaris cards in my Mac Pro, one of the GPUs show 8x 5.0 Gt/s while the other one show 16x 2.5 Gt/s.

Jackdown_101

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2017
Can you post the screen shot of PCI section in System Information? I remember when I had 2 Polaris cards in my Mac Pro, one of the GPUs show 8x 5.0 Gt/s while the other one show 16x 2.5 Gt/s.

Unfortunately I just get the "There was an error while gathering PCI card info" message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.