Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-naples-server-cpu-vega-gpu-platform/

"Ask and it is given..." ;)

128 PCIe lanes. If this 32 core/64 Thread chip is made from four 8 core CPUs connected together with MCM's(which appears to be the case) 8C/16T CPU should have dual channel memory controller, and 32 PCIe lanes.

I think you are mistaken on this. The configurations in the article are all dual processor models. That means the 128 PCIe lanes are split between 2 processors, so we get 64 each. Also the rumors have the 8C/16T Ryzen processor having only 16 lanes (with 4-8 more lanes going to the chipset). This makes sense if Naples 32C is really just 4x8C model (i.e. PCIe 16x4=64 lanes).

If this is true and the next mac pro were based on it, it would make for some weird SKUs. The PCIe bandwidth scales with the number of cores, so the 8 core mac pro couldn't have the same number of GPUs, SSDs and TB3 controllers that the 32C variant could.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Should have asked sooner :)

This discussion on the number of lanes is an old one already. It seems AMD is doing on purpose not to mention the real number exactly. I'd say each module has 2 channel mem and 16 lanes, for a total max of 8 ch mem and 64 PCIe lanes, 128 in a 2P configuration.
But I might be wrong here.

Stacc has touched a nerve: how is it going to be, if Apple goes with Naples in nMP, regarding the number of lanes in each SKU?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I think you are mistaken on this. The configurations in the article are all dual processor models. That means the 128 PCIe lanes are split between 2 processors, so we get 64 each. Also the rumors have the 8C/16T Ryzen processor having only 16 lanes (with 4-8 more lanes going to the chipset). This makes sense if Naples 32C is really just 4x8C model (i.e. PCIe 16x4=64 lanes).

If this is true and the next mac pro were based on it, it would make for some weird SKUs. The PCIe bandwidth scales with the number of cores, so the 8 core mac pro couldn't have the same number of GPUs, SSDs and TB3 controllers that the 32C variant could.
Nope ;)

AMD-Zen-Naples-Server-SOC-2.png

1U is single socket, and it has 128 PCIe lanes.

1U rack has 32 cores. And 128 PCIe lanes ;). And 8 channel memory. 2x4=8 ;). 32PCIe lanes x4 = 128 PCIe lanes ;).

P.S. I do not believe next Trash can Mac Pro, if ever will appear in real world, will have Ryzen chips. Those CPUs are iMac CPUs, not Mac Pro. If anything, expect 16 core setup, for MP 7.1 as base config, or cut down parts of it. Then we can look at 24 core, and 32 core versions of it.

Last edited:

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
Nope ;)

AMD-Zen-Naples-Server-SOC-2.png

1U is single socket, and it has 128 PCIe lanes.

1U rack has 32 cores. And 128 PCIe lanes ;). And 8 channel memory. 2x4=8 ;). 32PCIe lanes x4 = 128 PCIe lanes ;).

P.S. I do not believe next Trash can Mac Pro, if ever will appear in real world, will have Ryzen chips. Those CPUs are iMac CPUs, not Mac Pro. If anything, expect 16 core setup, for MP 7.1 as base config, or cut down parts of it. Then we can look at 24 core, and 32 core versions of it.

From the article...

In another slide, AMD has listed several validated platforms which they are working with OEMs to bring to the market when Naples launches.These range from 1U (2 CPU / 4 GPU), 2U (2 CPU / 8 GPU), Sled: 2P (Multi CPU / 1 or 2 GPU) and Blade: 2P (Multi CPU / 1 to 3 GPU) systems.

Every configuration discussed has 2 CPUs, in both 1U and 2U configurations.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Yep, I believe AMD is somewhat not being straight about it, just leave it in the air so to create the wow effect but can't be blamed for it later when the true specs are out.
Marketing working...

I can imagine the size of the thing with all 4 modules.
Anyway, wouldn't you say 128 lanes is overkill for 1 CPU? And the complexity of it.
64 is spot on, enough for 2 full width GPUs, a couple SSDs, 4 TB3 controllers and some extra for the rest of the stuff. No need for a PCH anymore.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Stacc, you may be actually correct on this. It appears that Naples will have 64 PCIe lanes in 32 core version.

In another news. 4C/8T Zen will be also 35W CPU, with over 3 GHz core clocks.

Reactions: PortableLover

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
If Aiden would pay more attention to the thread, he would see that this graphic he quoted is from the link posted above...

But hey, you are asking to pay attention to the thread a person who deliberately ignores any links with information, and then asks for them.
By the way, the 4 core seems to be sampling already:
http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-ryzen-gdc-2017/
This sort of confirms what I have posted before ;).
Secondly, AMD started shipping 8C/8T CPUs with B1 stepping, however we may not see them until Q2 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: xsmi123

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Unfortunately some people here just chip in in certain specific occasions, and not to add anything useful.
I wish we could just talk without attacking each other. this is supposed to be a place where we can discuss matters of interest peacefully. Without always worrying that someone will be waiting for an opening to make some damage.
I for one like to read the new stuff coming up, even if the info isn't exactly confirmed. It can anyway provide some hints and you don't exactly have to vouch for it. It's fun to speculate all along too.
But hey, that's just me I guess.

I'm not an AMD fanboy, said it before, never had anything AMD in my entire life by the way, but I'm hoping they do good. They seem to have solid products finally and they might do good this time around. Hope they come back strong.
They seem to have good engineering guys there, skilled, and have the desire (need) to develop great tech. Intel, on the other hand, seems to be asleep for a while. It's time they wake up.

Still, at this time I guess no miraculous breakthrough is expected that will completely change the current tech landscape.

Reactions: Dreadnought

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ecture-details.2465645/page-161#post-38678260

The Stilt, who leaked quite a lot of information about Ryzen already, claims that there are 32 PCIe lanes in the CPU.

Interesting. I guess we have to wait and see what will happen, in the end.
32 is a lot more believable than 128 - just for bandwidth considerations. If your PCIe bandwidth exceeds the memory bandwidth you may as well have a PCIe switch. (Or you *do* have a PCIe switch, but it's on the CPU die.)

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
32 is a lot more believable than 128 - just for bandwidth considerations. If your PCIe bandwidth exceeds the memory bandwidth you may as well have a PCIe switch. (Or you *do* have a PCIe switch, but it's on the CPU die.)
Aiden, come on, you are more intelligent than you show in your last posts!

32 PCIe for Ryzen, 8C/16T CPU consumer products. Naples, server 32C/64T is supposedly made from 4 Ryzen chips, connected through MCM package. If Ryzen has 32 PCIe lanes, then 128 PCIe setup for Naples makes sense.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I hope this would only be done to allow selling flawed dies.
Selling "flawed" dies is an essential part of the business model.

Some chips will work flawlessly if defective bits are disabled. Why throw away an "8 core" CPU if it has 6 or 7 good cores? Sell it as a 6-core CPU and make some profit.

It's not a "flawed" 6-core CPU - it just has a billion or two transistors that are never used.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
4C/4T chips are supposed to be entry level Ryzen chips, if that what you are talking about.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Aiden, come on, you are more intelligent than you show in your last posts!

32 PCIe for Ryzen, 8C/16T CPU consumer products. Naples, server 32C/64T is supposedly made from 4 Ryzen chips, connected through MCM package. If Ryzen has 32 PCIe lanes, then 128 PCIe setup for Naples makes sense.
I can't keep all these vapourware CPUs straight - maybe when ATI actually announces and ships some products it will be easier to understand.

Will the Naples MCM have 16 memory channels and 64 DIMM slots?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
It has 8 channel memory controller. Because each Ryzen CPU has dual channel memory controller.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It has 8 channel memory controller. Because each Ryzen CPU has dual channel memory controller.
What is "it"?

Ryzen, Duozen, Trizen, Quadzen or something else that your dark-net spies haven't told us about?

Nouns help people understand, pronouns lead to confusion. Vapourware CPUs are all about increasing the level of confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuxon86

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
What is "it"?

Ryzen, Duozen, Trizen, Quadzen or something else that your dark-net spies haven't told us about?

Nouns help people understand, pronouns lead to confusion. Vapourware CPUs are all about increasing the level of confusion.
Its only your problem that you are not following the discussion. You have been asking about 32 core, chip. It is named Naples. And that is what has 8 channel memory controller.

Why do you blame everyone around you for your failure which is not following the tech, and its naming, that maybe end in Mac Pro in quite short future(Naples, that is)?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Its only your problem that you are not following the discussion. You have been asking about 32 core, chip. It is named Naples. And that is what has 8 channel memory controller.
It is your problem that you think that you control the discussion, and you ignore questions that are outside of your narrow viewpoint.

Just a few posts back you said "4C/4T chips are supposed to be entry level Ryzen chips, if that what you are talking about".

So, the discussion isn't about Naples. The subject is Zen - not Ryzen or Naples. Can't you see that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.