Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
That is not the question.

The question is what do developers do when you use an AMD card.

Proprietary APIs restrict portability and customer choice.
Switch to lower fidelity AMD mode? ;)

pong.jpg

Reactions: pat500000

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
I could swear you really must have something against AMD.
I never used their stuff and you don't see me (or other people here) constantly putting them down.
Did they hit you as a child?
You don't have to use anything from their portfolio you know?
But at least don't keep bashing, no need.
We all know by now that you buy loads of Titans and all. Good for you.
But please stop picking on what you seem to hate or something.
Have you realized that the only times you post is to make some stupid remark regarding AMD or saying how great NVidia is?
Man up already!! Wrong gender I guess.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I could swear you really must have something against AMD.
I never used their stuff and you don't see me (or other people here) constantly putting them down.
Did they hit you as a child?
ATI's poor drivers and quick abandonment of recent hardware soured me on them at an early age. ("You mean that I have to buy new graphics cards to upgrade from NT 4 to Win2K - cause you're not updating the driver?" I did buy new cards - from Nvidia.)

You don't have to use anything from their portfolio you know?
Somewhat true - but often with laptops the most you get a choice of integrated GPU or separate GPU. You seldom get to choose the manufacturer of the separate GPU.

But at least don't keep bashing, no need.
Malfunctioning funny bone?

Man *** I guess.
Apology accepted.

Last edited:

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
It was not meant to be offensive, if that's what it sounded like I'm sorry, really.
Sometimes not being native to the lango might get you into trouble without being intended.
Again, sorry for that.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It was not meant to be offensive, if that's what it sounded like I'm sorry, really.
Sometimes not being native to the lango might get you into trouble without being intended.
Again, sorry for that.
Accepted, and I deleted my reply to that line. And my message was low-key because I recognize the language and culture differences.

Younger people in the US are moving to reject phrases with inherent gender bias. There's probably no clearer example than the phrase you used.

No hard feelings, case closed.

Reactions: Mago and pat500000

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
zen is not out yet so we don't actually know how viable it is. AMD says it's great but they have to say that.

I respond quoting my own post:

A warning about AMD Zen, remember AMD promise on Polaris Power Efficiency, and lately nVidia with its 1070 won by knockout, same could happen to Zen, despite Intel announcements to be focused on efficiency and not IPC, it maybe a bluff and they have something special waiting for Zen to ambush and humiliate AMD.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
http://semiaccurate.com/2016/08/31/amd-goes-7nm-new-global-foundries-agreement/

And to add to all this, today is the day, when 14nm HP process production started. This is the process on which Zen, end product, will be produced. It is hybrid between FinFET and SOI technologies. It is 20% better than LPP. This is also process on which can be Polaris respin produced, and named as RX 4X5 GPUs.

It is the same process on which IBM Power9 CPUs are produced ;).

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
http://semiaccurate.com/2016/08/31/amd-goes-7nm-new-global-foundries-agreement/

And to add to all this, today is the day, when 14nm HP process production started. This is the process on which Zen, end product, will be produced... .

This is very similar to the slippery slope that helped get AMD in trouble in the first place. When they spun out the Fabs (Global Foundries) they had agreements in place to consume the wafers from the fabs ( so they had a fixed base line business ). This looks like similar context where GF bought the IBM fab and needs volume to "fill it up". (IBM's Power can't do that all by itself.).

This works fine as long as AMD has successful product which generate at least as much wafer production as they are precommitted to. Not so great if AMD can't get design wins to generate that demand. ( that 'deep-pockets' oil money is more of an upside mechanism for the foundry. I suspect they will run for the hills if AMD gets into trouble. )

"Go straight to 7nm" probably means they'll likely be on 14nm longer for most of the their line up. .

It is 20% better than LPP. ...
It is the same process on which IBM Power9 CPUs are produced

Better at top end performance (e.g., high clocks and willing to bleed a bit more leakage.). May not be better at Perf/Watt.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
This is very similar to the slippery slope that helped get AMD in trouble in the first place. When they spun out the Fabs (Global Foundries) they had agreements in place to consume the wafers from the fabs ( so they had a fixed base line business ). This looks like similar context where GF bought the IBM fab and needs volume to "fill it up". (IBM's Power can't do that all by itself.).

This works fine as long as AMD has successful product which generate at least as much wafer production as they are precommitted to. Not so great if AMD can't get design wins to generate that demand. ( that 'deep-pockets' oil money is more of an upside mechanism for the foundry. I suspect they will run for the hills if AMD gets into trouble. )

"Go straight to 7nm" probably means they'll likely be on 14nm longer for most of the their line up. .

Better at top end performance (e.g., high clocks and willing to bleed a bit more leakage.). May not be better at Perf/Watt.
Well, this is just part of the story. When AMD spun off their fabs, they had to sign the WSA(Wafer Supply Agreement) with GloFo. And it was signed to the end of... 2024 year! AMD with WSA HAD TO buy certain capacity, whether it will go out to shops, or not, and that was driving their last losses in previous months, because until Polaris, everything AMD made was made on TSMC fabs, because they were cheaper to run, and... better. So AMD had two deals: with GloFo from amendment of WSA, and TSMC from technological perspective, and business perspective.

14 LPP process from Samsung, that GloFo used was good enough for Polaris as a pipe cleaner for the WSA.

From business perspective it was right move. Right now, yesterday, or two days ago mass production started of new 14 nm HP process, that Zen CPUs will resemble.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
How many cores will a 7nm AMD ARM CPU have then?

We could be talking about 400 cores (A53, not APU).

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
We will see when 7 nm process will come out. 28 nm was with us for last 4 years, because of the 20 nm Failure. Similar thing will happen with 10 nm. So we can expect 7 nm around... 2020 year.

So better be prepared for marginal breakthroughs ;).

PBRsg

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
It is not my perception. The main reasons people choose AMD are:

- They are against Intel having a monopoly and their improperly punished anti-competitive behavior.
- They are against Intel requiring a new motherboard to upgrade to a newer CPU generation.
- They are against Intel requiring a newer CPU to upgrade to a newer motherboard generation.
- They don't want to pay exorbitant prices.
- They believe ECC is for everybody.

Well said. In the absence of competition, the behaviour of these corporation becomes worse and worse. You can set your clock by that. I hope AMD can make a comeback.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Well said. In the absence of competition, the behaviour of these corporation becomes worse and worse. You can set your clock by that. I hope AMD can make a comeback.
Do you refuse to allow Google apps on your systems, and use other search engines?

Did we not learn anything about mono-culture from the Microsoft monopoly trials?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.