America 'faces worst disaster in its history'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link.

The basic needs of the nation have been ignored for far too long, and it is starting to show.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

should i infer from the headline, and from the UK-based source, that the US is particularly susceptible to such an outbreak? are all other countries better prepared?

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Don't believe it, most other countries don't have the capacity that the US has, even if that is woefully short.

Blair has arranged to buy a couple of million extra shots, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough, if Avian Flu hits the UK, my daughters getting a shot pronto, it kills the old and the very young, but I'm taking no chances.

Worldwide this will kill millions if it really takes hold, it's in the very early stages of transmission right now and is probably pretty hard to catch from a bird if not from a human.

I think we'll see countries closing borders before this is over.

5. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No it was written about a leaked plan that reveals exactly what the situation is here concerning an event like this happening. Which is news I would like to hear about it, even if I have to go to sources from overseas to hear about it.

6. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of current influenza vaccine made by one (or two) companies based in Europe?

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The IndyStar released an article about 12 hours ago. I don't know that it's to be compared with the 1918 virus which killed millions since it's not shown to be contagious (spreading from person to person) at this point. Still, I believe the pandemic of 1918 was related to a bird flu virus.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

shhhhh... it's actually an NYT piece...

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think you're right, but I do recall an article in the Grauniad that stated the reason there was so few doses available was that most were bought by customers in the States.

Still, with the pharmaceutical industry in the US being such a sucker for the fast buck, I'm sure it won't be long before we see vaccine by the truckload (at a price obviously).

it certainly won't be the rich who'll be scrabbling for a shot will it?

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Even with last year's shortage, there were millions of doses thrown away after the season.

But I think you're onto something with the profit angle. They need a flu vaccine that also, as its primary function:

a) makes men's hair grow

b) makes dicks
    1) hard
    2) harder
    3) grow bigger

c) allows people to eat 4000 calories of ice cream/day and still lose weight

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Where do I sign up....?

There's $1,000,000,000 right there for the taking.

Where'd I put my chemistry set?

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What really pissed me off is that my 22 month old was supposed to get a flu shot this year, but the doctors office messed up and didn't get the non-inhaled version for kids under 5. So unless they manage to find something, he's out of luck.

And I can't get them anywhere else unless he's a patient - which means we might change pediatricians - I'm not sure.

And when/if the big pandemic hits, the deaths and hospital cases are mostly going to be the very young and the very old.

D :mad:

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

So this flu is particularly dangerous to the very old, ehhh?

Maybe that's the current administration's plan for solving the upcoming social security crisis.....

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

ha i get free flu shots from the hospital :p no horrible disaster for me

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

flu shots won't guarantee you won't get it - especially if its a mutated one, but it does give you better odds.

D

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I know that and i don't even have a flu shot, but i never get sick, and when i say never i mean never.

I just get terminally ill from whatever illness of 12 months i have.

But regular sick, never in my entire life have i been sick. I have like the most kick ass immune system of all time.

I hope you get your flu shot for your son

17. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

So, wait. I'm confused.

IS there a serious problem here with a disease, or WOULD there be SHOULD a disease break loose like wildfire in the US?

Should I, like.. go get a shot or something? lol

18. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I really am wondering when Bush is going to get pissed off enough to just add God to the top 10 most wanted terrorists list? :eek: Considering all the various natural disasters that have happened in the last 5 years...

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

450 billion? That's nuthin'...

After all, we can pull cash out of our asses, right? :rolleyes:

_Emerson

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Our Chinese masters do not approve of your calling them asses.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm... avian flu and other viral epidemics... something ralph nader has been trying to get bush to talk about for well over a year....

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    a couple of weeks ago i caught an episode of( nightline, dateline, 20/20, whatever ?) that basically went over the scenarios of this possible pandemic.

they were talking about putting plans in place to quarantine sections of manhattan and other metropolitan areas that were affected by the virus. the cities that have the most international air traffic ( NY, LA ) would be the most heavily hit. it was pretty shocking the number of people they thought would die if (when) this virus evolves.

23. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

yawn. scare tactic of the week.

next week it'll be a possible flying space-monkey invasion, and the need for us to spend hundreds of billions of dollars hurling banana creme pies into orbit.

let's play a game: name every national "this problem will kill you and your children if you don't watch the news at 10" story that's occurred since, say 1998:

the "road rage" epidemic
    the "cell phone driver" epidemic
    the "shark attack summer" of '01

this story will disappear in a month when it's run out of gas and the media finds some new excuse to get us to watch commercials for penis-hardening pills.