America is Accelerating the Apocolypse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TedM, Jun 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 6502

DUCKofD3ATH

3. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Noam Chomsky is one of the few actual leftists in the U.S. As a moderate, I find it uncomfortable not to be in the middle, so, it is nice to have someone out there. On the other hand, I have always found Chomsky's selective stringing together of facts to be extremely misleading.

For example, it is a fact that the Reagan Administration was greatly alarming the Soviet Union in 1982-1983, creating an extremely dangerous situation. The sequence of events was described in Oleg Gordievsky's (first) book, and, the sequence of events is something that everyone should know about. But, given Chomsky's strange slant, who would know what to believe in what he says? One minute he is describing a very dangerous period in the history of the Cold War, the next he is rationalizing the craziest actions of North Korea.

4. macrumors 68020

localoid

I'm disappointed he didn't mention the Grey Goo scenario...

5. macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't the correct term "immanentising the eschaton"?

6. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Now that's not a phrase you hear everyday.Though it doesn't surprise me that the right wing nuckfuts have a term to describe "any attempt to improve the conditions of humans is against gods will.

7. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I must admit I really did have to Google that one.:eek:
    Still it shows that you really do learn new things on this site.:D

I agree, it's how I view these overly religious types.
    I have stored the phrase "Immanentising the eschaton" and cannot wait to use in a sentence.

8. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I hadn't heard is phrase but it's a definite keeper :)

9. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It was an everyday thing back in -- 1965 was it? William F. Buckley, Jr. made it popular-- in the negative form. "Don't immanentize the eschaton." I think it was even on a bumper sticker. It was kind of funny, but, not totally, since, as you say, it was taken up as a slogan by young conservatives who wanted to excuse the way things are. At the time, "they way things are" included, in particular, the social acceptance of the lack of civil rights for people of color. I had forgotten all about that little slogan.

10. macrumors 68040

Without America, imagine how many World Wars would have become. Imagine how much land would be destroyed globally for profit compared to now. It's easy to point to any cause, but nobody gives prevention the respect it deserves.

11. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 68040

13. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Then for the last 24 years as the only superpower you've been the bully on the block. You set such a bad example of using arbitrary force that other countries have started to to use it as the blueprint of normality.

Iraq 2003 a war waged because of Oil and nothing to do with WMD.

Prevention you joke, Afghanistan you moved in to drive out the Taliban, you fought the longest war in US history. The whole world and his dog knows the second you leave the Taliban will be back in power within weeks if not days.

The world is not safer than it was 25 years ago in the cold war, if anything it's got worse.

Compare life in the US back in 1980's and now look, TSA at airports, DoH's wide ranging powers, the militarism of you police departments. Do you honestly feel safer.

14. macrumors 68040

You just proved my point about prevention. Your more focused on the wrong.

For example ....... You think Israel and South Korea would still be in existence if wasn't for America?

15. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

It might be different.

It might even be better.

It's impossible to say.

16. macrumors G4

skunk

Israel would have had to reach an accommodation with their neighbours, and Korea would have been united under the democratically elected Kim Il Sung. The Iraqis would eventually have got rid of Saddam Hussein and his horrible sons, and Iran would be totally different - and probably a lot better. Cuba, Chile, Central America, all these might have been spared decades of strife. The list is long.

17. macrumors 68040

True, but it's not hard to come up with a most likely assumption. We are pretty decent in predicting the future, I think were just as capable when it comes to an alternate past.

I disagree with that. But hey, none of us can prove it. Which happens to be my point about the lack of appreciation for prevention. I truly believe America has prevented much potential disaster in this world financially, influential, socially, and from a military standpoint. But the average person will only see what happens as supposed to what else could have happen.

18. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Of course you committed the two greatest crimes against humanity, by giving us the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo. There is no denying that they did happen.:p

19. macrumors 68040

Ok, you win by unfair default. :mad:

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, it's the fault of your country and Endemol, the de-facto creators of reality TV programming we know today.

21. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

While it's true that Endemol started it all, all they can be accused of is making very bad crap TV. But for true apocalyptic spawn of the Devil, the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo are in a totally different league.:p

22. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Attempting either is way above my pay grade.

23. macrumors 68020

localoid

Where's my flux capacitor?

Predictions about the astounding world of the future are always astounding!

24. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Astounding future is astounding!

And funny.

25. macrumors 68040

lmao!!!!