America: Not as red and blue as you think!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wordmunger, Nov 4, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Found this on BoingBoing:

For those on this site who've been advocating a blue-state secession, this might help to show you that we're not as red-and-blue as you might think.

Attached Files:

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

just for contrast, I do like yours better and is probably the most accurate one I've seen. should probably be patented.

Attached Files:

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, whether secession will get serious consideration is up to the people. I admit it's not likely (right now), but it is possible. At the very least, the fact that we are even considering it says a lot about the current state of our country.

I'm well aware of the "purple states" argument. All I can say is that when the American colonies split from England, there were plenty of people who thought it was the wrong thing to do...who sided with the British crown...who said, "Oh come on, it's not that bad. Can't we just learn to get along?"

But the situation had became so intolerable that those who felt repressed had to do something. If they'd said, "Oh wait, we have a number of people in our colony who don't feel the way we do," we'd never have fought the Revolutionary War. We'd still be colonies.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It was only about a third of the colonists who supported the revolution. Another third were loyalists.

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Please, "we"? Can you expound on that beyond the retoric of the disenfrancshised?

6. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

There is also a purple "county by county" map here. So you can see that even at the county level, there is still quite a diversity of opinions, even in rural areas. I believe the country will be able to heal -- maybe it wasn't ever that sick to begin with.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The county I am in voted 67% for Kerry, 28% for gw and the rest for Nader. There is a very big contingent of ultra conservative people here as well as some extreme left wingers. I think it would be more accurate to look at where people exist on the political scale than who they voted for. I think the country is ill and the illness is chronic. I guess the next four years will give us a better idea of who is right.