America votes for terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

America has voted and she has said:

It's ok to use lies to invade a country that is of ZERO threat to you.

It's ok to kill 100,00 people, many women and children.

It's ok to withdraw from international arms limitation treaties

It's ok to f#@k the environment.

I really thought that judging by the good people on this board, the US might really have enough decent people to change direction.

Apparently not.

It now is my fervent hope that as America sows, so shall she reap.

Who now will save the world from the US?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

DG, as much as I tend to agree, I am not sure that such a polemic post is justified at this point. Many of us are weary post-election, and as the polls have shown, we are a minority opinion.

I would ask that you attempt to suck it up and hope for the best in the coming four years. I realize there is not much evidence for such optimism, but I do hope the country can somewhat unite for the betterment of us all.

I am not excusing anything, but I am of the opinion that if we elected a child-molester (hypothetical), I am not going to gripe about it, I am going to work towards helping the kids.

3. makisushi macrumors 6502

How is wishing ill will against our country at all productive?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He's not wishing ill, he's hoping for reality to bite. That has to be healthy. Unanswered arrogance coarsens the soul.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sheesh. Can we get more hateful, fear-mongering, bitter posts today? Kerry lost. I'm pissed, sure, but I can either spend my time wishing ill upon everyone around me, or I can keep trying to work for a better life. What America "sows" goes well beyond what you have put in your post, as well as beyond our choice for president. Is there more we can do? Yes. Is there more that every single country in the world can do? You bet. Let's stop bitching and actually do something.

6. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Do what, can we do what America does and invade? All that the rest of the world can do is bitch and you lot take no notice.

How long do we let America kill, maim and murder (all in self defense of course).

An eye for and eye is the only language your country understands and so is the only language that can now be used.

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

As opposed to voting against the majority of military aspects that would protect us should an attack happen?

As opposed to having a "plan" that would solve every problem you mentioned, and never saying exactly what that plan was - only referring to it being on your website on occasion?

Concerning terrorism and your vote, if you're against terrorism, you can be asured America made the right choice.

8. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Does diplomacy work with your country? NO.

Should the lies and murder in Iraq go unanswered? NO

If America had shown itself to be a decent society then I would be singing it's praises, but todays America bears no relation to the America that the world used to look up to.

America just had it's chance to show its true colours and it has done that.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't you sense the irony in that question, though? If America is doing good, it will reap those rewards. That's not "wishing ill" on us. But you're inferring that bad things will come back to us, which automatically assumes we're doing bad things.

And while diamond geezer is blunter than perhaps I would be, he's not wrong...unfortunately.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ah, you're not from America. In that case, I feel for you since you really can't do all that much.

However, you are generalizing an entire country here, and many of us do not support the war or many of the current administrations policies. Unfortunately, enough of us do (or at least didn't trust the new guy) that they were able to vote Bush back in.

Perhaps you'd be willing to share where you're from so that we could understand your point a little more clearly?

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"diamond geezer" - that's gotta be a brit!

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

If he is, indeed, from England, perhaps we should be talking about who all sent troops and support to Iraq.

Ah, it's not worth it. I couldn't even get my parents to vote for Kerry, how am I going to convince someone halfway around the world that many of us aren't just bastards looking for a fight?

I'm going to go talk about Keira now...

13. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

A plan that didn't involve invading a defenseless country that has never attacked the US and had no connection to 911 would have been a start.

Iraq now suffers the equivalent deaths (factored by population) of a 911 EVER WEEK and you sit there and talk about keeping yourself safe.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's a very good idea...:cool:

15. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

From New Zealand, but have voted (Lib Dem) in UK elections.

16. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

HA HA HA HA HA!!! It's great to see people cracking some pretty good jokes! This thread is a good laugh. Thanks for keeping me entertained, guys.

Daniel

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

18. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Kerry quit. Bush won fair and square. It's true...The American people voted and they picked Bush by a large 4 million people. It would have been a feat if Kerry did it, too.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No one is denying that. We are just surprised that people could vote for him.... twice.

scem0

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Well, being on the other side, I can't believe that anyone voted for Kerry. But, the great thing about America, is that we have the freedom to have completely opposite opinions and express them through voting for our government officials. America is the greatest nation in the world because we have that type of freedom, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I hope that you all agree with me, at least in that respect. Never be ashamed to be an American.

Daniel

21. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Well said, diamond geezer.

Let us all say a prayer for the estimated 100,000 people killed by the Americans in Iraq, as well as the 1,000 U.S. soldiers.

Bush supporters: this weighs very heavily on your shoulders and your conscience. Do you know what 100,000 people means? What that looks like? How many lives destroyed and how many will never be the same again?

I am honestly not sure how you can sleep at night; perhaps you don't.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

But it's all right because "God" wants it this way.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think the point is that we as a nation has led a sheltered life in regards to the rest of the world. I surely wish no ill on our nation. Though to have us "suffer" in some degree as the rest of the world has over the years, may humble us and make us better equipped to meet the needs of the world as a whole. Rather than thinking just of ourselves.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They don't think about the 100,000... only the 3,000 that died on 9/11. Even though Iraq had nothing to do with it. Apparently not enough people thought Kerry would be strong enough against this imminent threat. Not that Bush is doing much against Bin Laden, and we're making things worse just by being in Iraq. Apparently more than 50% felt the domestic issues were not as important, or that Kerry couldn't do better. Or Kerry just didn't speak to them. The undecided and apathetic did not vote as much as people were expecting, while the people who Bush targeted came out in droves.

Fear is a powerful weapon, as is hope. As is fundamentalism. Plus people liked Bush's simple answers to complicated questions versus Kerry's long, boring lectures.

I will admit I voted against Bush, not for Kerry. I liked some of his more moderate domestic positions, but I did actually vote on for him mostly because of terrorism. I do not feel Bush has done a good job against the real terrorists and Iraq just seems to be making things worse. Anybody else think it's funny that New York, where 9/11 actually happened, voted for Kerry? I sincerly hope all of Bin Laden's talk is just that. Talk. That he sees us self destructing, and doesn't see the need to try for another 9/11.

I hope it doesn't take another attack to bring us together... I do not want to be proven right that way.

25. kjgnola macrumors regular

Daniel,

I really try not to argue ad hominem, but you obviously don’t get out of the TB/St Pete area too often. Quite a bit of the world gets to vote these days. Hell even Afghanistan held elections this week. The French, British, Germans, and yes even the Russians hold elections to elect their leaders. And maybe your contention is not that others don’t get to vote, but that is what it looks like.

And for your statement of never be ashamed, that is like saying ‘you are either with us or against us.’ There are things, actions and policies, that I am ashamed of that this country has done and enforced. So am I ashamed to BE an American, hell no. Are there times I am ashamed, well yes there are, and this is one of those times. And are we the greatest nation on earth, well we are quickly becoming not that country. We have lost the respect of most of the world that we once had and have entered into an era where Just War theory has been evicted from Washington and pre-emptive strike is the heart of the Bush Doctrine.