American Double Standard?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Moxiemike, Jul 24, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/24/sprj.irq.sons/index.html

Looks like we're gonna publish dead Usay and Qusay photos. Maybe next they'll use them on the playing cards. :rolleyes:

Isn't this a violation of the Geneva convention rules we cried about when the Iraqis showed pics of dead american soldiers?

But I guess that doesn't apply to the Iraqis....they all are terrorists anyway, who need American Might to keep them under thumb.

God. This country is SERIOUSLY going downhill. I hope there's a regime change in America soon... and someone ousts Bush from politcal power. He's an abuser and needs to be stopped. Him and his whole bunch of cronies.

2. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm glad they're going to show this. Think about it, Iraq needs to see that we're not playing around AND they need to know that they're key people in this resistance are being taken down. The remnants of Saddam's regime still insists on saying that the people should continue to fight & die for the cause, but what if there's nothing left? They don't care if their people die or not, they're barbaric. :rolleyes:

I say show it on every tv station, front page it on all the newspapers, post it all over the internet. Do u think Al Jazeera would consider NOT showing this if the tables were turned?

3. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you know i generally agree with you on this stuff... and i'm not going to say i "disagree" with you on this..

but i do see the point that the iraqis may not believe that these guys are dead without proof..

which i don't know if that's enough to justify it, and surely it's gruesome and tasteless...

but, i don't think it's 100% clear cut... if only because we're being fed the info from pro US reporters and such...

i couldn't go that far... also, 2 wrongs don't make a right

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

And by enetering into a pre-emptive war with no real basis, we should that we're a barbaric country who doesn't care if it impacts the people stateside (via ecomnic strains of a billion dollar a week occupation of iraq or less money for education, which we sorely lack) or the soliders in Iraq who are out there getting killed for a war with no real focus.

So yea, Iraq may not be right, but don't be stupid and think America is completely absolved of any wrongness in this situation.

Look at the Jessica Lynch Lies....Maybe the fiorce-fed mass media of American has fabricated more than just that in Iraq, eh?

5. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm personally sick & tired of the opposition in this country who says we have no business doing anything we've done up to this point. No offense to anyone feeling this way, but u would complain if we didn't do something and were victimized.

The bottom line, is that the people in Iraq will never believe it until they see it. By doing this, it brings the potential of a backoff from fighting us while there. And don't give me the "well, we shouldn't be there in the first place" speech. This entire thing was unavoidable in the first place.

6. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how so?

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I mean taking a stand with this Saddam & weapons of mass destruction mess.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The thing is, we shouldn't have gone there. No way. We're not policemen for the world, and we had no immediate threat from Iraq and thusly, the only reason we went there was pre-emptive. That's not a reason to go to war.

And no, I wouldn't complain if we were victimized. the thing is, if we practiced better international relations and didn't try to cram americanism down the world's throat, perhaps 9-11 wouldn't have happened, nor this stupid war.

Remember that America created Bin Laden, it helped to create a lot of the power dynamics in Iraq during the 80's and now we're trying to fix up our **** ups and in the process doing more damage.

If America we're perfect-- had a great rate of literacy, had low unemployment, a healthy economy and scored high on education, didn't have its corporations riddled with inside trading problems, didn't have such high death rates due to guns, didn't see an epidemic of high school shootings, then, and ONLY THEN would we have the right to call another society barbaric and attack them and occupy them for no apparent reason.

But we're not perfect. and what did we do? We attacked a country for a myriad of
    "main reasons." From WMDs that don't exist to Saddam being a tyrant.

And we're "helping" the iraqis? BS! Is everyone in America so thin that they didn't see the photo of the statue of Saddam being toppled? There was NO ONE there. No crowds of Iraqis. It was all fabricatedjust Jessica Lynch being abused in the Iraqi hospital.

And what's the result? A billion dollar a week occupation of a country who will probably need 50 years to rebuild.

That billion a week... think if we spent that on subsidized healthcare? On grants to automakers to make clean vehicles? On education? Scholarships, et.al.

We'd be in a much better position. But the United States of Texas took a different approach.

9. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

After reading that, I'm really starting to feel u have a conspiracy theory problem. Why so paranoid?

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

All factual bro. I have nice little round-tables with a sociology professor friend of mine. We talk about this ****. We research. We read the news that you probably don't dig enough to see.

If you wanna be spoonfed your news from FOX or CNN and get the "American" perspective, then you shouldn't comment on international affairs.

I'm asking questions. You're just going wiht the flow. Where are the WMDs? Did you read the articles about Lynch's treatment in the Iraqi hospital? That made CNN, ya know? Did you hear about the Iran/Iraq war? Did you know we trained Bin Laden in the 80s? Did you know we trail most countries (the developing ones notwithstanding) in literacy rates? Did you see the nice wide angle photo of the Saddam statue being toppled?

:rolleyes:

(edit spelling)

11. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, eye, nice to see you in here. Moxie, what is a real threat? Look, even Clinton is running around sayting the President did the right thing. Like I have said in the past, sometimes, we do have to go in. They have found mass graves, centrifuge parts to enrich uranium. And Saddam did have ties to terrorism.

Remember the President said if you harbor them, you are guilty. Saddam had defied the world for nearly 12 years. Hitler did the same. There is a difference between being the worlds police, and going after a guy that has shot you the bird for 12 years!

12. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

heh...thanks...it's not everyday I decide to get my hands dirty in here... ;)

But, that's exactly my point. It's not like our actions weren't justified.

I don't agree with this conspiracy stuff though...sorry.

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

But I highly doubt we would have went in if we had a different presidential situation. And the difference is bush's shoot from the hip style of poli-spin.

Parts to enrich uranium ? nuclear bombs

What ties did Saddam have to terrorism? I'm sure he did. It's probably hard to be in the middle east and NOT have ties to terrorism I suppose. But, does it make it right? Was iraq really a threat as of March 2003? Was it worth concentrating miliary efforts while Bin laden is out on the loose?

and really, have any steps been made towards world peace with this war? I still read of bus bombings, etc. in the middle east. Seems nothing has changed. And if you martyr Saddam, someone else will eventually take his place. It's not like hitler....it's much worse. There's fanatics who are religiously dedicated to the cause.

the germans all kinda realized the hitler problem, but by the time they did.... too late. I think iraq, unless we occupy them indefinitely, will become a problem again. But a big enough problem to start a war? Nah.

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Is it conspiracy stuff or is there SOMETHING ELSE influencing you here?

I think it might be the latter.....

15. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

BUT

the president is not infallible

16. macrumors 601

zimv20

regarding publishing the photos....

i think it would be easy to interpret doing so as a violation of the geneva convention. i doubt that will cause the WH to hesitate. showing photos/video of the prisoners at guantanamo bay was also a violation.

17. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well...they're up...

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Let's hope someone decides that America is a problem, with its tyrannical leader, tons of weapons of mass destruction and resources, and occupies us now!

Come on China! Come on North Korea!

19. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's intelligent...

this could easily turn into an "if u don't like it here then leave" discussion...

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

You're big on that these days...

21. macrumors 601

zimv20

huh?

22. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Actually, I was referring to your complaining & trashing the way this country is run.

23. macrumors 601

zimv20

it's pretty easy to get banned these days, especially by throwing insults at a mod in the political forums.

i recommend deep breaths.

24. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if you close your eyes to the problems with the country, how can it improve?

surely you don't think it's perfect...

zim- moxie and eye are friends, which would make it even funnier if moxie were banned. ;)

25. macrumors 601

zimv20

ah. then i recommend shallow breaths.