Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
bousozoku said:
You're right, but about 40 years ago, Spears's was acceptable as an alternative in the U.S.A.

It's still acceptable. It's a stylistic choice. A judgment call. In some ways it's preferable because with Spears' you don't know if two people named Spear are being referred to or one person named Spears, but with Spears's it is clear. But most people do opt for Spears' because it seems more euphonious.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
MyLeftNut said:
Yeah gotta luv all the accents here...one thing that does irk me though is when Americans use the word herb but say erb. How in hell did you get that?

I don't know. How do you say "honor"? Be "honest." :D

I'll cut you some slack, though, since you're an Aussie. But I don't get why Brits say the h in herb when they drop the initial h in everything else.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
I remember this from school we did "The spy who came in from the cold"

His name was Leamus. for example "It was Leamus' watch"

proved! next ;)

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
From a friends away message (she is a writer)

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them out, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Awimoway said:
I don't know. How do you say "honor"? Be "honest." :D

I'll cut you some slack, though, since you're an Aussie. But I don't get why Brits say the h in herb when they drop the initial h in everything else.

everything? i don't see anyone dropping the 'h'h for : hero, her, hence etc etc

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wowser said:
everything? i don't see anyone dropping the 'h'h for : hero, her, hence etc etc

You have to hear it, actually ;) , but it does happen in some accents.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
wowser said:
Talking of which, 'proven' should be pronounced 'pro - venn' , though it is almost always (wrongly) pronounced 'pru - venn' ;)

Oxford Dictionery: Pru:v(e)n :eek:

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
My favourites are spunk(y) and wanker which have different meanings this side of the pond.
I still remember the TV show Mork and Mindy being shown here (for those who don't remember, it was a primarily a childrens show) and two characters being introduced as Mr and Mrs Wanker. Ah the look of joy on my parents face as that went out on prime time childrens TV.

I like all the foreign versions of my language and obviously use them too. Sorry I had to be sarcastic, its an English thing.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chappers said:
My favourites are spunk(y) and wanker which have different meanings this side of the pond.
I still remember the TV show Mork and Mindy being shown here (for those who don't remember, it was a primarily a childrens show) and two characters being introduced as Mr and Mrs Wanker. Ah the look of joy on my parents face as that went out on prime time childrens TV.

I like all the foreign versions of my language and obviously use them too. Sorry I had to be sarcastic, its an English thing.

If you've ever seen "Married with Children", you might have noticed that the character Peggy Bundy was originally Peggy Wanker and I believe that she was from Wanker County as well. Naturally, that series was not for children.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Can I recommend two of Bill Bryson's books to you all which cover lots of the differences between UK and US English - and tries to figure out where they all crept in. Things like why Pittsburgh is the only US burgh with an h, why Americans gotten things that the Brits only got and why people in the US and the northern UK have more similarities in pronunciation than those who live in Southern England.

Made in America
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-5795354-2040961?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mother Tongue
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_1/102-5795354-2040961?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Applespider said:
Can I recommend two of Bill Bryson's books to you all which cover lots of the differences between UK and US English - and tries to figure out where they all crept in. Things like why Pittsburgh is the only US burgh with an h, why Americans gotten things that the Brits only got and why people in the US and the northern UK have more similarities in pronunciation than those who live in Southern England.

Made in America
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-5795354-2040961?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mother Tongue
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_1/102-5795354-2040961?v=glance&s=books&st=*

And we were having so much fun without you.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Sure you'd continue having fun after reading them since they're pretty amusing... and might bring up even more differences.

I wonder if without the burst in technology in the past 100 years with cheap travel, cinema, TV and the internet, English might have continued to diverge so much that US and UK English would have been different language tho obviously related like the Italian/Spanish etc

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Not a lot to with Mac!

...but I did enjoy this thread. just re-read it!

Does the us have something simarlar cockney rhyming slang?

These words now have now become everyday usage in english.

eg Let me have a butchers. (Butchers HOOK - LOOK)

and "blowing a raspberry" (raspberry TART - FART)

" you burke!" ( berkley or Berkshire HUNT - *UNT) as in UK meaning for Fanny

Yes I know why?:rolleyes:

"Vive la diference!" - as they say in Watford!

:eek:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I teach English in Japan, and all the different versions of English all collide which can cause problems sometimes.

Does anyone know "I'm all set."? Is this a Boston thing only? The British & Australians don't seem to understand it.

glosterseagul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
5300cs said:
I teach English in Japan, and all the different versions of English all collide which can cause problems sometimes.

Does anyone know "I'm all set."? Is this a Boston thing only? The British & Australians don't seem to understand it.

I'm all set......and ready to go. ( Although i have heard it as I'm set)

What a great thread - Ive just read it again! :rolleyes:

What about i don't give a monkey's?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
whocares said:
I like how the Americans pronounce cities in New England:

Nore-wich (US) = 'Norich' (UK)
Green-wich = 'Grennich' (UK)
How would you say Gloucesteshire in the US? :eek: :p :p

wait you think placenames get butchered outside the UK :eek:
theres wee village just over the hills called Greenaces, sounds ok so beautiful... but the locals call it 'Grin-nickers'

also! another wee village near Hadfield (aka, Royston Vasey ;)) has the lovely name Tintwhistle. now you think you'd pronounce that Tint-Whistle. but oooh nooo! awkward locals call it 'Twissle' for some reason. its beautiful though, has 7 consecutive reservoirs flowing down from the moors. if you ever fly to Manchester Airport you'll see them about 30 minutes before you land.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
glosterseagul said:
Not a lot to with Mac!

...but I did enjoy this thread. just re-read it!

Does the us have something simarlar cockney rhyming slang?

These words now have now become everyday usage in english.

eg Let me have a butchers. (Butchers HOOK - LOOK)

and "blowing a raspberry" (raspberry TART - FART)

" you burke!" ( berkley or Berkshire HUNT - *UNT) as in UK meaning for Fanny

Yes I know why?:rolleyes:

"Vive la diference!" - as they say in Watford!

:eek:

wow i say 'butchers', didnt know its origins!

as for words, try some oh-so common Oldham slang.

Kettle=Kekkle
Bottle=Bokkle
Ambulance= Th'ambulance
hospital=hospikal
hills=th'ills
tea=brew (but thats pretty common)
isn't it=innit (again, think thats global though)
bus='buzz'
stairs=sturs
claire=clur

interestingly, over in Huddersfield (just over the hills from here) they dont sell pies! not that i like them, but its only 20 miles away. those crazy Yorkshire folk :rolleyes:

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Chappers said:

so what does wanker mean in the states?

i would knock them "spark out" if they called me that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.