American Express Credit Card ???

Discussion in 'Community' started by berkleeboy210, Aug 28, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

For those of you that have an American Express Card, I'd GREATLY Appreciate your Help.

I just got a Card, but am uneligible for monthly payments b/c you must be a member for a year. Does anyone know any sites that will allow me to pay for this card monthly, instead of in FULL every month?

2. mac-er macrumors 65816

Sites? You have to pay AMEX

That is part of having a traditional AMEX card, no credit limit, but you have to pay in full. No choice.

I think they have new cards that are more like traditional cards. You might want to call AMEX to see if you can switch over to a more traditional card that has limits and allows monthly payments.

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, AMEX is AMEX is AMEX. They don't have any partner companies that they contract with. You just need to pay in full each month. Get a regular credit card if you don't want to pay it off all the time.

BEN

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Home Shopping Network will allow you to do that, but I don't know if they take the card or sell Apples.

Edit: Should be able to pick up a nice off-brand PC like that. :p

5. mac-er macrumors 65816

You must have the traditional Green Card?

Ask them if you can switch to the Blue card. It allows you to carry a balance month to month.

6. mac-er macrumors 65816

What does the Home Shopping Network have to do with American Express?

7. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have the Gold Card now. So w/ the Blue Card I can have monthly Payments?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Read his question again, he is looking for a place to pay monthly using an American Express card.

The Home Shopping Network allows you to do stupid stuff like that.

Edit: which is a stupid thing to do, finance something and then have it automaticalling dinged to a credit card.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The intent of the American Express charge card is for you to pay off your balance on a monthly basis with no interest fees.

However, if you have a Gold Charge Card, ask for the Sign and Travel agreement. It allows certain type expenses to be paid over time. You get the previlege of paying over time by paying a very high interest rate. So it is best not to use this unless you really need to.

Sushi

10. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Need to be a member for a year to be eligible for that too.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Could be. I've been a member for a long time.

Been asked to upgrade to Platinum a few times. But don't see the need nor want to pay the extra annual fee ($395 vice $75).

Athough a buddy of mine has one and loves it. Our lifestyles are very different which is probably why he likes it.

Sushi

12. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

AMEX is a charge card, not a credit card. IMO much smarter to use than credit cards which can lead to years of perpetual debt.

13. mac-er macrumors 65816

No, he is asking about paying his monthly balance off...not asking about a place that will allow you to pay monthly.

AMEX requires you to pay off your balance in full each month, and he wants to carry a balance.

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

Yep. And it doesn't have an annual fee (I think). Call 'em up.

15. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I guess I have to send my Sony HD Cam that I bought back then :(

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems that way, since not paying it off completely will extract a large interest/service charge on the card.

Of course there is a chance sending it back will also ding you quite good.

As I said HSN does silly crap with flex pay and credit cards, but that usually isn't a good choice due to lack of variety -- and the double finance charge whack.

17. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

So, Wait.... I can still actually make a payment of like 100 a month, and they'll just tack on interest?

EDIT: How can sending it back ding me too?

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is a late payment fee AND interest ...

But if it's an expensive product, that alone could come to more that $100 per month.

Plus it will probably show up on the credit report.

Remember: some places charge you a 10% restocking fee for unopened returns.

Read the sales policy from the place you ordered it.

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The only credit card I have other then my Visa Check Card is Blue from American Express. I have been VERY HAPPY with their customer service. Blue from AMEX works like any other credit card out there. In fact, the Green or Gold card from AMEX are not really credit cards, they are charge cards, that is why you have to pay them off each month. The only bad thing I can say about American Express is they are not quite as accepted as Visa, Master Card, or Discover, but almost everywhere accepts them anymore.

The last thing is the Blue card is a really cool card, it is a transparent plastic that always gets double takes when I take it out to use it.

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

No, no, no. :mad: If you do not know anything about AMEX, don't say anything about it. Traditional AMEX cards are not like other cards.

If you do not pay the full amount, as required by the card agreement, they consider the payment late, add a late fee, cancel the card, and send the remaining balance to a collection agency. No questions asked because you are in violation of your cardholder agreement if you don't pay in full. On their traditional cards, they do not charge interest.

Not paying a traditional AMEX card in full each month is like not paying your power bill; it will ruin your credit beyond belief.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When I had it, never had it canceled when I was out of town, I'd send in a payment leave and worry about it the next billing cycle.

I'd get a late fee and a service charge.

It's already too late anyways, if he cannot return what he bought and cannot afford.

22. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I was going to mention that! Off-topic but that is one cool lookin' CC. :D

23. mac-er macrumors 65816

And, I am sure your credit is ruined.

Anyways, AMEX Gold card offers return protection:

24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

You're asking for trouble if you want to carry a balance on any card for a while, credit card debt is so common for kids and college students and the interest is horrible, if anything I think you need to go back to a debit card for a while and only spend what you have/can afford (even more limited than the amex you're working with) ... but thats just rational good advice, nothing you have to listen to. I honestly work with a few people who spend a whole summer paying down their cards so they can fill them back up next year, its a sad sad cycle.