American Express Gift Cards...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by D34th, Jul 13, 2006.

1. D34th macrumors regular

I recieved an American Express Gift Card as a...gift. It says mostly how to use it but I still have a question. On one of the many instruction sheets it does say I can use it at online vendors, but it does not say how. In the past I have seen one, that I can remember, online vendor that had the option to pay with a gift card, aside from regular credit card payment. Can I only buy online from sites that offer this option, or am I missing something. It seems they avoid the topic in all the instructions and online, just telling me I can, but not how to...Thank you.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just treat it as a normal AMEX credit card, but make sure you don't go over the card's value

3. D34th thread starter macrumors regular

What do I fill in for billing information? Just my name? I thought about that, but I was not sure...

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, just do as yg17 has said and you will be able to enjoy using your AMEX gift card online D34th. :)

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

They will probably require name, address, and maybe a phone number- just as if it was an actual credit card. :)

6. D34th thread starter macrumors regular

lol yeah, I just meant do I fill in (all) my information just like if I were paying with my actual credit card...Alrighty then, thanks everyone...

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, that is all you should have to do. Post back if you have any probems D34th. :)

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i used one of these a while back. problem is, a lot of places won't accept partial payments in different forms. so once you are down to a few bucks on the card, you basically lose that money.... dumb

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Really? I don't know what places those would be, but when I use a gift card with a low balance, the place is more than happy to accept cash to cover the difference. I know for a fact that Best Buy will, and their gift cards are (or at some point were) handled by American Express (there's a little AMEX logo on the back of the card). It may be different online (which is perhaps what you meant), but I'm sure that brick and mortar stores would accept multiple payment types. And in any case, you could probably just reload the card with cash or something so that the money doesn't go to waste.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sorry, i meant online. guess i should bring it with me to a real store sometime to get that last few cents then! thanks for the tip.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The scam is that because it acts like a debit card, you have to know exactly how much is left on the card. If you have $4.99 left and you try charging $5.00 your card is going to get rejected.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is there any way to check the current value of the card then? hmmm

13. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

i tried entering my information as if i was using a regular AMEX card and it didn't work. The amount was well under my card amount, too.

it said that my information didn't match the information on the card.

has anyone ever successfully used on of these online?

14. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

lol and thank you for resurrecting it so quickly! haha

but i've already reviewed that page. all AMEX says is that you CAN use the cards for online retailers. however, they don't include any instructions.

15. petersb macrumors newbie

Amex gift cards online

I recently worked on the development of a site to transfer the remaining balance of Amex (as well as Visa, Mastercard) gift card to PayPal (www.cashfromcards.com, if you are interested). In doing so, I played around a lot with Amex gift cards and found the following to be true with all the cards I used:

1. All Amex gift cards appear to be issued directly from American Express, unlike Visa gift cards, which are issued by numerous banks and all behave differently.

2. Since they are all issued by Amex directly, they all seem to behave the same way.

3. None of the cards I tested cared about address verification (AVS) or the expiration date. So, you should be able to use them for any online purchases and put in whatever you want for name and address as it doesn't check.

This is my experience testing a bunch of Amex gift cards and looking at what actually happens with the merchant processing back end.