American Express Offers $5 off a $5 iTunes/App Store Purchase

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 7, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    American Express is offering a $5 statement credit to users who spend $5 on the iTunes and App Stores by April 30th. The rebate, part of AMEX's "Offers for You" promotion, requires that users opt-in to the offer on the American Express website, and then spend at least $5 on iTunes by the end of the month.

AMEX cardholders need to ensure that their card is set up as the default billing method within iTunes itself. Once a $5 purchase is made and charged to the American Express card, a $5 statement credit will appear on their account.
    American Express runs a number of these promotions, though availability does vary based on previous card usage. Some users may not be able to see the iTunes promotion because of how they use their card, for example.

Article Link: American Express Offers $5 off a $5 iTunes/App Store Purchase

2. AppleWarMachine, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Yes, I already signed up for this 2 days ago, Amex is the best :D

Spend $5 to get a $5 credit, that was easy (even though my AMEX is already my iTunes account default card)

3. macrumors 6502a

Super smart and strategic move from AMEX. They want your AMEX to be the primary card associated to your iTunes profile.

Will pay off. Well played ;)

4. macrumors 601

Icaras

Nice. I'd like to take advantage of this but too bad my account is always preloaded with gift card credit anyway. I'd have to spend it all first before I could actually charge my card.

I wish Apple offered alternative payment options in the store for this very reason.

5. macrumors regular

Same issue I have but I believe if you buy a gift card on iTunes it uses your card and not your credit. Maybe buy a $5+ gift card and get the statement credit? I'll try that later once they confirm enrollment on my card first.

6. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

Nailed it. I do this already though haha.

7. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

Did anyone else have success with this website? I was unable to even register with my AMEX card due to the fact that my card was "handled by FIA", whatever that means.

8. joeshmo2010, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you have a card that is on the amex payment network, but not an actual card underwritten by AMEX itself. Instead, it is underwritten by FIA card services, a subsidary of bank of america. So, if amex isn't your actual lender, then unfortunately you wouldn't be eligible for the offer.

9. macrumors 601

Icaras

That's an excellent idea. I'll try that too later.

10. macrumors member

Yes - please advise how that goes!!

11. macrumors member

VicX

I had the same idea and just did it. it went through!

12. macrumors member

So it looks like the minimum purchase through the iTunes Store is $10, right?

13. macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if this will work if I buy a movie through my AppleTV. I would think it would, but....

14. macrumors regular

1) It is only available in the United States (why isn't that mentioned in the article?).
    2) I wish Apple would allow things to be bought with AMEX through their App/iTunes store because is the one thing that stops me from owning an AMEX card - the lack of places where I can use it.

15. macrumors regular

Yes it works if you buy iTunes content - I bought 3 episodes of How I Met Your Mother on my AppleTV and received a $5 credit on my Amex account a couple of days after iTunes billed my card

16. macrumors newbie

Damnit, I just bought a $4.99 app I needed from the Mac App Store yesterday!

17. macrumors 65816

You can also just gift yourself an app (or a few apps). Not the one where you send directly to their email, but more generically where you print out a gift code. This way it charges to your Amex because gifts are never paid for by credit on your account.

18. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It wont work for me because I already have $100 itunes gift card in my account :mad: So when I buy an app it will just take the money out of my gift card instead. Unless I am missing something here.

19. macrumors 65816

See my post just above yours. I haven't tried this in a while, but generic old instructions are here: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-gift-an-app-from-the-app-store/ (at the bottom is the printing option). I'll have to do this too since I have credit in my account.

20. macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your response!

21. macrumors newbie

Looks like this offer isn't good for all cards. My Platinum card doesn't show this offer as available but my Blue Cash Preferred card does. Now I have to switch the card on my account to buy something and then switch it back..

22. macrumors newbie

It isn't. This has been on deal sites for about a month, but it's targeted to specific people.

23. macrumors 601

Icaras

Thanks, just went ahead and gifted myself an EP album. :D

24. macrumors newbie

If it's targeted at specific people though then why is it available for one of my Amex cards and not the other? Like I said, seems more like specific cards than specific people. I put upwards of $30 grand a year on my Platinum card, seems odd they wouldn't offer it to me on that card but they do on a card that I literally only use for grocery shopping (Blue Cash Preferred gives 6% cash back on groceries).

25. macrumors member

SurferPup

iTunes Australia

That is a great deal! I wish that was available to me as on offer for myself is Dan Murphy's (alcohol bottle shop), Just Jeans (some jeans shop that I never shop at), a telephone carrier, Optus that I'm no longer with and Smiggle?