American Football(soccer) Commentators

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StokeLee, Feb 12, 2006.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

What are they on about?

Im watching the Japan v Usa game on Channel Five (in the uk) which look likes came via ESPN2 out of the USA, and ive no idea what the commentators are saying. It just doesnt sound like football(soccer).

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Um . . . are we talking about American football played on the gridiron or kick the ball with your foot soccer/football?

I'm really confused with the "american football (soccer)" title.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Sorry,, im talking about commentators, if you read on a little bit, american soccer commentators,, but to us brits, its Football.

And the post is about an observation whilst watching the Japan - USA game about the commentators, its so strange. the way they talk, youd have to watch a few premiership games to understand where im coming from.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

so wait, american football is soccer? I think if he puts the (soccer) in it, he means soccer. Plus, japan doesn't have an American football team that will play an American team.

EDIT: StrokeLee got to it before my theory was published.

6. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

:p Maybe it would be easier if we called American Football, something like, American Rules Rugby :D

Edit- Usa score, not a bad goal, ***** defending by Japan. an Easy goal

7. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

its not going to happen, even though the two aren't that much different.

In reality, when they were naming the sport, they shouldn't have called it football for two reasons. 1) European football (soccer) and 2) you don't use your feet that much. It's not going to change now. too much behind the name.

8. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

hmm, i guess,

Not many countries play American Football, where as the world plays football(soccer).

Bit off subject, but id love to see more baseball in the uk, dont catch much of it, and dont really understand it, but learning about it all the time, bit like rounders, but thats as far as id go.

Its a bit weird how the two main parts of the world split the main sports up, Football/baseball and Soccer/cricket/rugby.

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The games not THAT old, it wouldn't be too hard to change, other then stubborn Americans (kind of like trying to go to the metric system). Changing the name of Cricket, now that WOULD be impossible.

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

Soccer is just a contraction of the real name of "football"....association football.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I just switched over and no I haven't got a clue what they're on about either.In fact its more interesting with the sound off.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

compared to the age of the US yes it is that old.

13. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Eh????????

errrrrrrr, nope

Federation internationale de Football Association

AS in the football association is only the governing body, not the name of the game,
    Which is Football

Soccer is purely american

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I can't seem to find the site I read this at.

While Football(soccer) was being standardized many people involved wanted to allow the use of hands. So Football(soccer) split into Association Football and Rugby Football. Association Football was became known as soc(spelling?) even in England and Rugby Football became known as Rugby. American Football was directly based off of Rugby and became known as Gridiron Football because the field looked like a gridiron. Just like the others, Gridiron Football's name was shortened and became known as Football because at the time no other game was popularly called Football. Around that time soc became known as soccer (especially in the US). Some time later, soccer became known as Football because it was much closer to it's original name. This didn't fly in the US because they already had a Football. The new name caught on most other places because American Football did not become popular anywhere else.

So basically, a bunch of people world wide screwed up and now we all have to confused. :p

EDIT: I'm a little wrong in my recount of the story. Football was the commoners' name for soccer. Soccer was the gentlemen's name for soccer. The name started at Oxford. This isn't the article I read before, so it doesn't confirm or deny everything I said, but it has some of it.
    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/why.html

15. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Its way to late for me to make educated comment now, so NEEE NAAHH NEE NAHH,,,,
    im off to bed, lol

Night night people. Good win by the Usa,, Good match from what ive watched so far, just had to turn the commentators off.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What? :confused:

17. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Psst..... we're 5 hours ahead ;)

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

10,11,12,1......why are you up at 3am in the first place.:p

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Baseball is called baseball cause you run the bases so maybe football should be named "100 yard pass ball".:p

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

What can I say? We, Americans like to dance to our own music with no regard to the ways of the rest of the world.... :D :cool:

22. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

FIFA is the international governing body. Football is short for Association Football, NOT the Football Association as you seem be thinking. that's why you see some teams with AFC after their name, most have shortened that to just FC.

I believe Soccer is an originally English term, like "rugger" is to "rugby football" to give it it's full title (as far as i'm aware)

i still think soccer is a ***** name, and my (american) wife usually calls soccer football now :)

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Exactly correct.