American Higher Ed Leans Left!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

In other news, the pope has been found to be - of all things - a Catholic. ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure this will be all over the wing-nutOsphere as proof those evil liberals are out to brainwash our impressionable youth.

And I'm just as sure that while the bias against conservatives and Christians will be hyped to the max, the bias noted against women will be left out.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The whole Liberal Vs. Conservative schtick has worn more than thin... it's a tattered wreck.

I, for example place firmly to the left of Ghandi in conservative-origin studies but place to the right of hitler in liberal-origin studies. This is because I have views that are radically centrist.

3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

This thread may explain this link

link

Obviously the people that wrote this report download just don't like the result of the election.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha i guess im in the most liberal area of college then in the English Department, and i want to be an English Professor, and yes i am very very liberal....

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Conservative educator, conservative artist, conservative journalist... if these things are oxymoronic, then who's fault is that?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

mr krugman weighs in...

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

There is a very simple answer to why Univerisities are staffed with teachers/professors that lean liberal.

Those that can do, those that can't teach.

And they can hear themselves talk all day too!

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah while we're at it we ought to make sure the military isn't a bastion of conservative indoctriniation, don'tcha think?

And I wonder what the results would be if we ran this kind of survey of say the boards of the Forbes 500? Would there be an overwhelming conservative bias? And aren't those folks indoctrinating our citizens just as surely as any radical professor?

Free speech only applies if you agree with the conservative majority it seems. And that's what they bitch about liberals for. :rolleyes:

10. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

There are some obvious exceptions!

There are some very obvious exceptions ... www.regent.edu, for example. I have yet to meet a pure liberal anywhere on the campus. Unless, of course, you count the number of guests they've invited for forum/panel discussions. You can only imagine how the Con Law or Family Law courses are in the law school:) To put it mildly, it is not your average law school. There is not a single prominent left leaning organization affilliated with the school. For better or worse, John Ashcroft is even teaching there in the fall as an adjunct professor in the law and government program. It is the home of the American Center for Law and Justice and its fearless lead counsel, Jay Sekulow, also an adjunct professor. They take the exception to a new level. It is good to see an exception to the general trend in society. Now if we could just work on Harvard or Yale ... those Mac loving, left leaning liberals ;)

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Chris at Mixing Memory has some great thoughts on this issue:

And

link

In another post, he discusses the lack of evidence for significant discrimination due to political affiliation:

link

12. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I'd like to point out that this is not a very fair source. It is, after all, the New York Times :rolleyes:

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Duly noted. :rolleyes:

You did note that it is, after all, an opinion piece?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

first, it's an opinion piece.

second, the reason we link to articles and give credit (in this case, "mr krugman weighs in"), is so that you, the casual reader, can consider the source and form your own opinion on the matter. just because you don't find value in what the NYT prints (and really, basing your objection on the fact it's the Times, rather than it's paul krugman, gives away your uninformed bias), doesn't mean that no one else does.

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I obtained my degree in secondary education for math and science. I thought teaching was too difficult (to do well, it's easy to do poorly) and I didn't want to deal with such a structured (read: bull$#it) system. So, I decided to "do" instead of "teach". I now make twice as much money as I would in teaching as a software developer and, IMO, my job is much easier.

So I propose...

"Those who can, teach. Those who can't, find some less meaningful line of work."

I could use the counter-argument that liberals care more about ideals than money and so they teach. Most teachers/professors do not make very good money. The conservatives are just attracted to money and don't care about values, educating the youth or research so they go into business. Both are inaccurate generalizations - but there must be something of truth causing these descrepencies. There does seem to be more liberal profs and more conservative bankers. :confused:

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

An assumption apparently built-in to the study cited, and to many of the comments upon it, is that any given individual's ideology automatically results in biased behavior. Is that really so? Isn't it incumbent on the people who are making charges of bias to demonstrate that actual bias exists, rather than play a numbers game based entirely upon ideological and essentially arbitrary labels? Isn't this a lot like making a case for creating quotas for minorities based strictly upon the numbers instead of upon some evidence of actual discrimination?

17. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Stub, you make me sick. I'm so glad I have you on ignore and only have to read your tripe when someone quotes it. As the husband of a very effective teacher I can tell you that your statement is so full of crap it's not even worth taking you seriously... ever. And if you put that little rationale into the rest of your thoughts I have serious doubts about the rest of your worldview.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

OT trivia

That may not be the case in a few weeks. However any further discussion on this probably needs it's own thread.

link

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

You are quite correct, I mostly said my piece in sarcasm, it was meant for some people, about 8 of which I have on an ignore. I am nearl positive it will spool them into spasms.

If they can remember, my mother is a retired teacher, and my wife is presently a teacher. As I have mentioned numerous times, to deaf ears, I want to triple of more money spent on education. It is a major shame how little education is a priority in the US. While I think nclb is better than the nothing that came before it, it is lacking.
    What we need to do is drastically increase salaries for teachers in primary schools and lure talent from the private sector.
    Teachers working second jobs and summer jobs is as outrageous as soldiers on food stamps.

Oh well, at least you didn't do the auto bite at the conservative comment, cudos!

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thank you for saying so.

i'm dating a teacher and her passion for her work and students borders on the obsessive. and she's sure not doing it for the money.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hmm, interesting. I have only one current/recent poster to this forum on ignore, and I can't think of any good reason to poke or prod them into fits of anything.

22. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

You gotta figure it's just like Stub to say something just to be an ass. An ass-troll more specifically.

Oh well it's just the kind of guy he is...

23. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Looks like I just stepped into the middle of something.

*quietly takes a few steps back*

Well, I don't have any issues with any of you. I do wish education in the US was a higher priority. Many social issues stem, at least in part, from the ignorance of individuals or the public in general. However, the abundance of ignorance is a key ingredient to keeping our social system rolling. If we significantly improved education in the US, it might cause our system to work improperly. I think we'd all be better off in the long run, but I'm sure there would be some growing pains involved.

Education is a topic I feel strongly about but I'll refrain from getting on my soapbox. :)

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey, i see you! get back here!

25. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

By all means, soapbox all you want. I wouldn't mind hearing more about your views on education, it's a subject that's near and dear to my heart as well. I have no problems with anyone who wants to put together a well-argued point. I just don't like trolls who post specifically to piss others off.