American McGee's Alice

Discussion in 'Games' started by dejamoi, Oct 9, 2005.

1. dejamoi macrumors member

Sep 21, 2005

I just bought a Mac Mini and decided to look up all my games to make sure they work on a Mac; according to, American McGee's Alice works on OS X Tiger. But I don't know; I popped the 1st CD installation disk in and it just showed up on the desktop (rather than launch like on my old PC). Does this mean there is a MAC version of Alice that I have to buy in order to play it on my new Mac Mini? Please, help me!
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    There is a Mac version. It may possibly be on the same CD, although unlikely... any icons or files that say installer that do not have .exe on them? What does it say on the CD or box?

However, from personal experience and email feedback from Aspyr support, it's best installed into the Documents folder. It doesn't like the Applications folder for some completely bizarre reason -- this was on Jaguar 10.2 & Panther 10.3 BTW.
  3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    OFF TOPIC: I love that game, I think its on of the scariest surreal games of all time.
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'm not at home so I can't really answer your question but I did semi-recently purchase the game and it installed fine on my iMac G5, dunno why it wouldn't work for you. However, I did purchase the game knowing it would be for a Mac so I did look for a Mac version-- I'll double check for you when I get home...
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    from what i recall, there are two seperate versions of the game
  6. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    You'll need to buy the Mac version...
  7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    I'm sailing a bit close to the wind here, but if you really really did honestly buy the PC version for your PC, then I see no legal or ethical problems with downloading a Mac version for your Mini.

If a mod complains, then I will remove this post.

Will I be EdesignUK's first banning as a full mod? :)

RedTomato arr matey!

EDIT: I've been put right and had my botty smacked - see below....

RedTomato with a Red Botty...
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You may not see problems but there are. The game was published by two different companies. Aspyr was the publisher of the Mac version and they are completely separate.

It was one of the first Mac OS X (rather than Mac OS 9) games to be produced but can't simply be installed from the x86 PC CD-ROMs.
  9. dejamoi thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2005
    Oh OK

Yeah, I guess I'll have to buy it from a store... not that I would, but where the heck would you download it from? No programs that I know of actually have FREE downloadable full-length games.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Go to the Aspyr web site and you should find a multiple game pack with Alice in there.
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the game pack i got it in had three games and was only like $19 not bad if you ask me
  12. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, I'm still not at home but that's actually the pack I got and I think I might have gotten it for even cheaper-- around $10 off of Amazon.
  13. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Great game!

(And soon to be a movie with Sarah Michelle Gellar! Hope it keeps the style/feel of the game. Might be the first video game movie worth seeing.)

You do need the Mac version--and look online for a patch, if you have problems. There was a patch maybe 18 months ago, I'm thinking.

There might even be a demo at .
  14. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually, there's a five pack available now (I just got mine in the mail). If you download the Aspyr Game Agent from their website, it will have a banner on the top advertising a five pack of games for $19: The 3 pack PlaceofDis mentioned (Alice, Bloodrayne, Clive Barker's Undying) plus Spyhunter and Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. I think Tomb Raider might not be OS X compatible (the other four games are), but I'm pretty sure no Tomb Raider between TR 2 and the upcoming one is worth playing anyway.
  15. capsLOCK macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2005
    My uncle actually worked on some of the levels in that game. He couldnt hook me up with a free copy though.. game designers must not get payed much or he's being stingy...