American parenting: Blame everybody else

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 29, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/29/141209&from=rss

14 years old, and playing a game rated M, meant for no one younger than 17. And somehow, this is Rockstar's fault? What the hell is wrong with parents these days? Take some goddamn responsibility for your own kids. I can't wait to see the lawsuit where the parents get sued because they neglected their own kid and let him play a game such as GTA obsessively. You can blame the kid, and you can blame the parents, but this is in no way Rockstar's fault. If GTA truly turned people into killers, after selling millions and millions of copies, I'd think we would've seen more than 3 deaths as a result of the game :rolleyes:

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Replace "parenting" in your title with "culture" and I think you'll have it nailed.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Pathetic reach, alright. I'm surprised they didn't name Sam Donaldson, controversial media commentator lifestyle, and New Mexico while they were at it.

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

There's a great film about this topic. I think it's called: "South Park: The Movie" ;)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They're going after the deep pockets, just like most everyone else who sues for damages.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

They're trying this in my state currently as well. To my knowledge/recollection, it's not working very well here either.

You can think the me-first culture for that. Parents can't be bothered to discipline, monitor, or just spend time with their kids because it might cut into their spa time or whatever.

Why don't they sue the parents for letting the kid play that trash game in the first place?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The parents probably don't have enough money to make it worthwhile.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, there's that. And the fact that the kid killed them makes them less able to defend themselves in the suit. ;)

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It doesn't say how they were dressed.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's also the issue that somehow this kid had access to a firearm and ammunition. Someone was being careless it that regard as well.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just once, can you give a straight reply? You're always skirting the issues.

Obviously it's the gun companies.

12. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Oh come on, it's obvious that he bought the Super deluxe edition of GTA complete with an assault rifle and 1,000 rounds of ammo. :D

I look at parents today and there are a lot of them that are complete morons. I know that I'm gonna be a way better father to my son (see sig... :D :D :D :D ) when he comes into this world in Feb.

And Jack Thompson is a moron as well. Even the groups that he supposedly "represented" want nothing to do with him.

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Of course, who else would it be for a case like this?

15. iGary Guest

iGary

The biggest complaint I hear from friends of mine who are teachers is that many parents will come to school and actually demand that the teacher change the grade, because their kid didn't deserve a "C" or "B" or whatever.

When I got a grade, my parents trusted the teacher.

And then whipped my ass. :D

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congratulations. Mine should be here in 4 weeks. :)

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Naming him after me, right?

Or maybe "Pinot" would be more appropriate. :D

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This spills into just about every avenue of life. Schooling, socialization, entertainment, recreational sports. Anyone have experience with coaching Little League or Soccer? Seems like either parental absence or over-assertiveness as at the root of the cause when there's disturbance at a game. Parents who haven't completed their own parenting will be limited in their effectiveness with their own. It's a self perpetuating cycle until someone breaks out of the mold and gets free.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My wife just had to deal with an extremely angry email from a parent who had bought his niece's version of events hook line and sinker.

He was very apologetic when my wife relayed her side of the story.

She's also had parents demand their child's grade be raised "because with football and 4H, he just doesn't have time to get his homework done".

Meh...

And no, he's not getting named after you OR what's the largest represented type of wine in my collection. ;)

20. iGary Guest

iGary

It's sad, really. I think modern-day parenting in this country is a major problem for our society.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

$2 million... that's the price my wife and I agreed on. If someone gives us $2m (US) in cash before the baby is officially given a name (on his birth certificate) then that person gets to name him. I figure it will be great for him as he'll have a lot of money to go to college. (Hey, I'm just looking out for his best interests.) Any takers? :)

J/K

22. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I hate when people try to blame video game companies for crimes, gun manufacturers for shootings, cigarette companies for cancer. If parents would just take more time to teach children right from wrong, this country would be a lot better off.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Jeez, everyone has their price, nowadays. Post your bank account #s and we'll see what shakes loose. :D

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba