American Soldiers in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I read this article yesterday... depressing as all hell.

And I guess yesterday also a Stryker brigade that was supposed to be going home soon - some 3500 people - were told that their deployment will be extended by up to six months so they can go to Baghdad. Not exactly good for morale...

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    These troops are starting to resent our government, their mission, and humanity.

The guy is right, it won't end until one side wins. Let's jsut hope it's sooner than later so we can bring our boys back home. I fully support our troops over there, regardless of how pointless and stupid this entire war has been.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Honestly, I'm not surprised. There are high points to the article, and low points.

Soldiers are consistently kept in the dark, that is the way the chain of command works. You go home when you're told, and you go on patrol when you're told. And as long as politics is driving the occupation, there will be no end in sight. At what point do we declare "mission accomplished?" The Iraqis are not ready to take command, in fact we're taking back sectors we've already turned over. They are still not ready to take control. They have no support network and they have no medical evacuation.

We have no plan to create a lasting peace that I can see. All we're doing is applying a bandage and hoping the patient can cure himself.

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That's the sort of situation where you end up with events like Haditha.
    The soldiers lose all interest in their mission (if they ever had a mission in the first place) and just try to stay alive.
    Look for more things like Haditha before this is all over.

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

That's exactly the problem for the man on the ground. Undefined mission. Soldiers make war, not peace. They're basically marching time, waiting be transferred home or injured. Until they come up with a way to measure progress, or points to be met, morale will continue to be an issue.

7. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

My position on the Iraq war is this:

After the initial invasion (if in fact that was necessary?) the U.S. should have put the original Iraqi soldiers on a permanent payroll. Even so much as to have tripled their salary of what Saddam was paying them. You would of had some very happy soldiers that would NOT have formed an insurgency against the U.S. This would have enabled the U.S. to form a proxy government way way easier.

When the U.S. went and fired the Iraqi soldiers, in my opinion, forever lost the peace. In that sense, I can't say that I blame the Iraqi soldiers for being pissed off and wanting to retaliate against the U.S. In my opinion, the firing of the Iraqi soldiers was a very very stupid thing for Bush Administration to do. I cannot emphasize that enough. :rolleyes:

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, it would have been better than what we actually did. Not saying much, I know. Best plan probably would have been to finish what we started in Afghanistan long before we even thought about going anywhere else. Iraq was doomed from the getgo, for a whole lot of reasons. And motives.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

More broadly, de-Bathification and putting more effort into protecting the oil supplies versus the weapons caches around the country were the two major mistakes that were made that allowed this insurgency to build the way it has.

Well, that's not to count all the mistakes made in the planning stage...