american vs canada apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nav, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Nav macrumors newbie

I had ordered a powerbook + ipod with the cram and jam deal from the canada apple store on July 27th and it seems they are pushing back my order from the old shipping date (august 4th) to august 16th. I called and cancelled my order with apple as I do not like the idea of waiting a total of 3 weeks for something I order online (they tried bribing me with $50 off the powerbook if i kept the order). I was checking out the apple store for the american site and it seems the shipping will be 1-3 days, or they could go to a apple store and pick it up. My brother and sister also live in the states now and go to school there so I was thinkign of getting them to buy it online and ship it back to canada. My question is how much would shipping to canada cost with ups express shipping and would a apple notebook be charged duty at the border? I can't seem to find any information stating one way or the other anywhere. Have any of you tried this?

Thanks,
    Nav

ps. I know I'm impacient but with the premium apple charges for their products, I expect timely delivery, I don't mind 2-3 days off but 2 weeks?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depending on where you live, it could be faster and cheaper to just drive there and get it yourself. Seriously, have you seen some of the prices down there when compared to the Canadian prices? Its pretty obscene sometimes.

I think you'll get charged a duty. The Customs people in the US can open any package up and check any package coming into the US, ESPECIALLY when they think it's an electronic device; and most other countries will check packages coming from the US. Customs just re-box it or reseal it afterwards. Well fair enough, since the US is the one making such a big stink about "terrorism", but that also means that you may face a huuuuge duty.

Maybe not. I know that my package wasn't charged any tax when my parents shipped me a bunch of CD's from Canada to Australia, but there was no receipt in the package, and all the price tags were ripped off. ;) You may not be able to get away with that, since my package was probably worth $90 CAN, while a computer is obviously worth enough to tax like mad.

3. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

You too, eh?

Nav... I posted the following a few hours ago as a response on another thread. Amazing, isn't it, how there seems to be so few options for us Canadians? I thought the problem was only me, but maybe it's for all of us in Canada. I think you're absolutely right: waiting a few days, a week, fine. 3 to 4 weeks? Not acceptable especially when you're paying $3000 to $4000 Cdn. In your case, at least they offerred you $50 off! They didn't even suggest it for me. Why there should be such a difference between Canada and the US - other than maybe for shipping - is beyond me.

Quite likely, if the unit is purchased in the US and then shipped over, you WILL be charged duty. Electronic goods are high profile items. I'm not sure what the rate is, but you can likely expect about 10% duty, plus GST. You might be better off going to a Canadian reseller that has the PB in stock and picking it up through them, or ordering from a reseller in Canada that has stock on hand and can ship within the country (and thus will not have to order it themselves).

Good luck. Maybe I should have cancelled my order as you did: I was thinking seriously about it.

=============================

I'm starting to think that I'm the only one that's gotten stuck here: nobody else seems to be having laptop shipping delays. I ordered a BTO 17" PB on July 23. It was scheduled to ship August 2. Nope. It has been pushed back to August 10. I spoke with Apple and was told that there was a lot of demand (backorders) and that because I had a BTO one, it would take longer. Can't recall any shipping delay warnings: I would have seriously reconsidered my order if I had known about such delays. Supposedly a stock purchase maybe would have been faster. And because I'm in Canada, shipping will take anywhere from 7 to 10 business days. Altogether, I'm looking at 3 to 4 weeks from the time I ordered.

This is unacceptable, especially because this is a business purchase: does Apple expect people who need equipment for work to wait around for 3 to 4 weeks? I can't see such delays being very fair to regular retail purchasers either.

The worse part is:
    1) Apple could not say whether my order would be "likely" built soon or delayed further.
    2) Apple could not tell me anything more about shipping times.
    3) If you BTO, you cannot cancel your order. IMHO, a larger hard drive and slightly faster video ram, while "customized" does not constitute a massive change in hardware.
    4) There is no consideration to get the item to customers faster given the delay. Unless, of course, you want to pay out more of your own money to expedite shipping.
    5) I'm hostage to Apple's delivery because if I cancel, by the time I requisition a alternate PC laptop, the PowerBook would have probably shown up.

The person I spoke to was nice, but hey, she has little control over what the corporation does. So, bottom line, Apple could not tell me anything, could not promise me anything, and cannot do anything. This is the second "incident" I've had with Apple/Apple resellers. I'm having a hard time recommending Apple to my colleagues. A superior OS is only helpful if you have the machine to use it.

4. Nspace macrumors regular

Yeah duty is insane, especially on something like an expensive Apple computer.

When I ordered my 15" powerbook, it shipped within 24 hours. Ordered on a wed. Was shipped on thurs. I received it on the Monday. For the ipod they delayed it twice but there was no immediate need for the ipod. It shipped within about 1 week and a half after I made the order and only took 3 days to get here. Left on a monday, arrived on the wednesday.

I wouldnt risk it and buy from the states. I would have just waited and taken the 50 bucks. It would probably take longer ordering in the states, waiting, arriving at your families, back up here, clear customs, risk getting hit with duty, than to you.

Pay for expedite shipping, as I did, you should get it pretty quickly.

5. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I also got my Pbook 12 inch expressed shipped ....cost like 18 bux but it only took like 4 business days. I ordered it on a wednesday and it was shipped on thursday then i got it by the following tuesday or wednesday. There was some sort of issue with customs went back and forth from toronto to missauga for customs reasons (stupid fedex). so it took about 6 or 7 days better then waitin like the estimated 3 to 4 weeks.

6. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Actually I'd consider faster shipping.... but 2 weeks after I ordered, my PB isn't even built yet.

7. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Don't know about duty rules in Canada, but here's what I usually do to get things into the UK:

Get your brother/sister to buy the powerbook (transfer some money to them), then get them to buy some birthday wrapping paper, a card and a tag. Get them to wrap the powerbook box in the wrapping paper and write on the tag: Happy Birthday Brother! and get them to write the card....

Customs checks the package: oh its a gift, pass it through! :) They do scan the packages via the 3D scanning machines at customs but they wont open it unless they suspect the package to be malicious. The only time I have ever been charged doing this was when I ordered a camcorder from the states and had it imported, Royal Mail knocked on my door and asked for £20 duty. I just gave him a tenner and a couple of fivers and voilla i have my camcorder :p

8. Nav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Their is an apple store right by where my sister and brother live so I should be able to get them to go buy me a powerbook (i think i'm not going to bother with the cram and jam deal this time since I already have a 3rd gen ipod anyways). I suggested to my brother to do the gift wrap thing since my birthday has recently passed by but he said he thought I'd still be charged duty even for gifts. And yes, I suppose I could have waited till it came and taken the $50 off but it kinda pissed me off when I found out that a friend of mine had received his powerbook + ipod 4 days after he had ordered his (he ordered after me) and my order was being pushed back. I think I might just wait for apple store for canada gets its act together before I buy mine now.

9. Nav thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly my thoughts... and not to mention, when i bought my ipod last year it only took 2 days shipping anyways, i'm kind of smack dab in the middle of canada (manitoba). Usually shipping here is really fast even ground shipping.