American vs. Canadian Homicide Rates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by themadchemist, Nov 22, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

An interesting study about homicide rates in American border states vs. those in Canadian prairie provinces.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is it really valid to make such comparisons against canada as a whole? i think comparisons of like population densities is the minimum valid starting point.

3. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's their point. That's why they compare the Canadian prairie states to the American border states (the latter does not include New York).

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Canadian prairie states have more people living in urban areas than bordering US states.

Edmonton OR Calgary ALONE are ten times more populous than Billings AND Helena COMBINED, for instance.

I think that was zim's point. There are more people in bigger cities, and therefore, more crime.

It's not a valid comparison.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd also reckon that density contributes to crime, exacerbating the city effect.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Doing some more research, I must conclude this article is total ****.

The states of North Dakota (633,837) and Montana (917,621) have less population combined than the Albertan metro areas of Calgary (1,100,000) and Edmonton (980,000).

Neither state can claim more people than either city.

Throw in Winnipeg (680,000), Saskatoon (230,000) and Regina (190,000) --

now you've got 3,180,000 people, more in five prairie cities than the entire border states of Idaho, North Dakota and Montana combined.

It's ********.

Why don't we compare homicide rates between New York State and neighboring Vermont? We know why. And that's why we don't compare Canadian homicide rates in certain provinces with the rates in the bordering US states.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reading between the lines of the article, i've come to the conclusion that canadians come to the US to do their killing.

:)

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This "study" was long ago shown to be an effort to support preconceived beliefs, not objectively study truly-comparable data. Old hat.

'Rat