Americans are 'much sicker' than the English

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, May 2, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

According to...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/PublicHealth/tb/3214

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6c9dee06-d9ff-11da-b7de-0000779e2340.html

Make mine a large chips, please... with a pint. :D

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

That was wierd

-Blue Velvet

I was just reading an article to this point. And I believe it.

It's the stress.

Heck! Look at the threads in this discussion! Lot's of stressed folks!

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

maybe that is why i never get *seriously* sick, just annoying things like my headaches thou it could be serious who knows.

I just take stress well and go with the flow.

Also the fact that america is fatter than England does have to do with the diabetes, heart disease, stroke

not sure about the lung disease and cancer thou

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its because we are becoming a nation of fat bastards. Its that simple.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

America is just a stressful place to live in. Everything has to be done INSTANTLY and PERFECTLY.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I dunno. Most people I know in London are pretty stressed and before anyone chimes in, yes I know London is not England, but I only speak of my own experience.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i don't think america is that stressful of a place to live in. People just make it seem that way to themselves.

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mind you, you may die earlier but your corpses will have better-looking teeth. :D

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

damn straight :p

that is by far the best part of me is my teeth. I <3 my Teeth

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thing is, we know how to deal with stress properly in this country. There's no problem on earth that a nice cup of tea won't solve. ;)

The differences are probably due to a whole host of factors. For example... are we in this country happy to walk in instances where our American cousins would hop in their cars? It's a small thing, but even a small amount of exercise can be beneficial. And could the fact that we get free healthcare mean that we're more at ease go and consult our doctors with health concerns earlier – meaning that potentially serious health problems can be detected earlier and so treated more effectively?

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Blue Velvet

Not my intent to sound argumentative, but I was actually pointing to the article's assertation on stress.

As for what is going on? Well, yeah, I tend to agree with the 'stress' assertation. The it has been known for a long time that the US is addicted to the clock...
    calebjohnston's words
    ... Is quite true - though I'd amend it to read Instant, Perfect, Cheap, Quickly Forgotten, all under feeling that "We are bad people"

Oh, yeah, and TERRIBLE manners (what happened?)

edit:

I agree with Jaffa Cake. Just-need-to-slow-the-frack-down-and-enjoy-tea-sometimes.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one of the researchers was interviewed by NPR, i heard the piece this afternoon. i'll admit i haven't yet read the linked-to article, but the interviewee said they're not quite sure what causes the differences.

he discussed in some detail what factors they removed (race, amount spent on healthcare, drinking, smoking, et. al.) but the large differences in rates of the tested-for diseases remained.

however, i wouldn't rule out stress and physical activity differences, i'm just saying they weren't cited as causes in the interview.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The stress of being represented on the world stage by George Bush must be intense.

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

All the more reason not to go to the doctor ...

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There are plenty of reasons for this and they're all obvious, so I'm not going to bother mentioning them.

16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I agree with you. While excessive stress is capable of shortening one's life span, I believe the primary culprit in America is the obesity epidemic coupled with sedentary lifestyles.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah, if only he could be surgically removed. ;)

americans are generally rather high strung and difficult to please. this leads to all sorts of problems. i mean, what things do you do to ease your stress? the possibilities are endless and in america, they are seldom "healthy" choices. let's not forget all the hypocondriacs who run for pills at the drop of a sniffle. it makes for a weak bunch of people.
    but we'll always have fancy doctors to treat our fancy little problems in hearty helpings. ad nauseam. <sigh>

(trying to avoid a tangent)

18. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I totally am in your boat about being sick, I don't even know what it feels like.
    Anyhow, (american here) I think it helps that we OVERDIAGNOSE EVERYONE that walks into a doctors office.

Like everything here, its capitalism, the more medicine, the more money, more doctors, more scare tactics etc.

Just like we are sue-happy, we are drug happy too. :(

19. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well in that case, you should drop a line to the researchers who remain puzzled.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If were true that American doctors "over-diagnose everyone," then it would stand to reason that Americans would be healthier overall than in countries where people are not "over-diagnosed." I've got plenty of issues with this U.S. medical system, but "over-diagnoses" isn't one of them.

21. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

how about the millions of kids on ridalin (sp?) because of behavior problems? I've seen studies about this, one study even made up a person (completely made the person up) signed them up for treatment, couldn't meet with a doctor, and yet the doctor still perscribed medicine. I think I know your point, but respectfully disagree.:eek:

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Many people do not seek treatment until their condition becomes serious,
    where being able to go to the doctor free as needed, is much more likely
    to catch things before they get worse.

Big Pharma and the insurance industry also have a lot to do with the cost of medical care.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Your argument was that American doctors over-diagnose everyone. One for instance is hardly a proof for such a sweeping statement.

I'd argue that the incentives in the health care system weigh far more more heavily on the under-treatment side of the ledger. Just ask anyone with an HMO plan if they're ever over-treated. If over-diagnoses and over-treatment is or was a problem, it would only be for people with blue-ribbon health insurance policies. These policies are becoming steadily scarcer. Most of us are living in a system that tries to prevent health care, not provide too much of it.

24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah I'd believe it's the stress as well. Heck watching 5 minutes of CNN stresses me out and I'm in Canada. I'm not gonna say Canadians are that much different than Americans, but we certainly not afraid of a boogie man around every corner.

25. mpw Guest

Somewhere at Langley a computer just logged that post and as we speak there's a dark coloured sedan pulling up outside your house with two guys in suits and shades 'reading their papers', they'll be there until nightfall when a plain white van will park up and it'll be there a week without you seeing anyone come or go but the neighboorhood dogs will all seem overly interested in it each time they go for a walk. If you report it to the cops it'll move on before they arrive and suddenly the telegraph pole across from your house will require the 'utility company engineer's' full attention, 24hrs-a-day.