Americans - Have You Considered Leaving the Country?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jun 28, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Just from what I have heard on the board here and just in conversation, I am amazed at the amount of people that "say" they want to leave the states (and admittedly, I have thrown around the idea, too).

Have you thought of moving to another country, and why? Please give reasons, because I would like to take advantage of the "world" scope of the board and have member of other countries tells us whether we're being realistic in our expectations.

For example, I would like to move to Vancouver, BC Canada for a few reasons:

1. I believe people are more tolerant in Canada.

2. Canada has nationalized healthcare.

3. Gay marriage is recognized.

4. People are friendlier and its beautiful there. :)

So list yours and hopefully someone from that country has input...

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in this thread... but I'm a risk-it type of guy :)

I live in the UK, and have been thinking of moving for a long long time, houses and general cost of living v wages are shocking here - and its a **** hole in most places.

Canada, Australia and florida keys are places i have looked at living. I say 'do it whilst your young'

Are americans less tolerant of gay men (or woman) then gary?

3. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Mmm I am the opposite .... Would really like to move to the States permanently but you guys have such grazy immigration policies making a green card the holy grail.

From my perspective US vs Netherlands

1) People are actually less tolorant in the Netherlands, there is racism and social segmentation
    2) Nationalized healthcare is very expensive if you make more then a certain amount of income
    3) Yep gay marriage is recognized, cannot argue with that
    4) People are definitely less friendly and more ego centric
    5) Yes, there is more culture and you are very close to rest of Europe also you actual get to hear what is going on in the world through news casts
    6) Social system takes away any incentive to stand out, perform or do your best.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well it would certainly be cheaper for you here, but mind you would have to pay for your own health insurance, which can be pricey, and Florida is about the (no offense) biggest redneck state in the union.

Things are much better in the US with regards to gays (lesbians are usually better tolerated), but people usually accept you to your face and then talk crap about you behind your back. It's still a very hatefull place, whether you are gay, fat, black, Asian...the list goes on.

That said, it really is a gorgeous country (well most of it), and the opportunities are quite endless, especially for a business owner/entrepreneur like you. California would be my resommendation. Mountains, ocean, praries, desert...all within driving distance.

5. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Actually, I left the country to live in England after losing my internship (4 it even started) in the Orange County District Attorney's office in '94 b/c of O.J. I was supposed to go to England for 1 semester, ended up staying 2 years and 9 months.

[edit] totally forgot to explain things.
    1. I was going to spend the next semester in England anyway.
    2. liked travelling to the continent for every three day weekend (which was very affordable back in the mid 90's)
    3. came back b/c I was on the budget committee for my campus, I knew we were running out of funds, didn't want to wait it out.

As for my take on leaving the country. It's always better to head towards something you want, than to head away from something you don't like. [/edit]

6. Queso macrumors G4

iGary, you forgot another plus for Vancouver. Since Battlestar Galactica is filmed there, you've got a much better chance of meeting Jamie Bamber :)

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

OK, let me give you my list of selfish "wants"

1) Scenic beauty, water would be perfect (no cities!!!!)
    2) Good value accommodation, Basically a really nice place for cheapish money
    3) Freedom to roam and not see anybody when I'm out on my motorbike
    4) nice heat
    5) nicer people that are really laid back (sort of like aussies)
    6) safety for my son, who is a legend after his first time on a push bike yesterday!
    7) Place for good education opportunities

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

He IS dead sexaay.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds like New Zealand with a Swiss Finishing School.

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Northern California fits all of those except cheap accommodation.

11. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Yes, I have.

Ideally, I'd like to live in Australia.

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ohh we thought about there and New Zealand, but considering the amount of thinsg that can attack and kill you in Australia, we chose NZ. :p

13. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wimps. :rolleyes:

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

No funnel webs or browns for me, thanks. :D

15. Queso macrumors G4

I like Australia, but I'd probably get beaten up by my neighbours all the time for feeding the possums :)

16. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just for the record, never in my life have I seen either of those creatures. There are many crabs however. :D

17. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I've always dreamed of leaving the US for Switzerland.
    I don't really know why, but it seems like such an idyllic, peaceful place.
    Just too bad it's cold and they speak French... :eek:

Sweden seems cool too, but the taxes would be hell.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm in the same boat as you. #3 doesn't affect me personally, but I still support it 100%. I'd love to move to Canada and hope to do so sometime. As for where, I don't care, as long as it's a big city.

I just have 2 more years of college, and after that, I might have a job with the company I intern for now and think they have offices in Canada (I know they have retail operations up there) so a transfer certainly isn't out of the question.

19. Queso macrumors G4

So that'll be New Zealand for you too :)

20. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

George Bush Jr. seems to be content on trying to take that away now. A lot of Canadians arean't too happy about it because we see the issue as having been settled, but apparently some fairy tail from 2000 years ago feels different. :mad:

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm in it for ever. I'll leave when the USA becomes a dictotorship, or if we ever break up into smaller countries(i'll move to one of them) why you ask?

I want to see the USA becomes a little nicer, not so hated in other places in the world. I'd also like to fix the socal problems we have(gay marriage would be a yes, free healthcare in place of so many wars you... know the drill). If all of one party leaves, the other party will win, and i won't let that happen.

Plus i'd have to move some were they speak english(or a form of it) as i'm not learning a new language

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

You know, I hadn't thought of NZ until you just said something, but that would be a very good place to consider.

New Zealand is a beautiful place. Though the rustic seclusion I'd like to find in Australia is quite appealing too.

Decisions, decisions :cool:

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just to dispel any possible misconceptions, the majority of Aussies actually in urban areas - about 84% of the population takes up about 1% of the country. The only sort of seclusion is perhaps on an international level or if you move out into the country/bush. :)

24. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

That's where I'm headed :)

I don't like large cities/urban areas. Small towns is more my thing.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I started a thread on this not so long back.

I was, and still am, dying to leave the UK.

We live in a small town, and there are no job oppertunities, even cities are losing their appeal as the prices to live there are skyrocketing - the only way you could EVER afford a decent home in the UK is earning around £70,000, and have a partner.

For example, in a town such as ours, my Mums friend, a single parent of 2 young boys, could only get a mortgage for £80,000. The cheapest 2 bedroom bungalow, with open place kitchen and living, was £170,000. It also needed a new bathroom, and completelly re-doing.

The UK may have health care provided for us, but with the costs of property, tax and general 'living' vs. job oppertunities - it is becoming a terrible place.

I find it a very unaccepting place, but thats just me. At 17, I can't see myself building a life anywhere in the UK, the're either too expensive in cities, to ever rent/buy or live, or too rural with hardly any jobs above minimum wage in cheaper areas.

Even houses for first time buyers are £110K+. I would never be able to afford that unless I earned like £45K. Long story short, I'm getting out.. fast :p LOL

I thought the only way to enter America on a permanent basis nowadays was to A) marry a citizen, B) Have a mother, father, son or daughter already an American citizen (or died there within the past 2/3 years) C) Via the Green Card lottery, which the UK is not eligible for.

I wanna come to the states after Uni... :( LOL