Americans: Taxes in yet?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gammamonk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I'd like to use this message to vent my frustration of tax season.

I live overseas and don't know what to do. Anyone in the same boat?

Attached Files:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you can file an extension over the internet (form 4868) so long as you pay an estimated tax. go to the irs.gov site, download the pdf for 4868, and on there are URLs for two different sites where you can do it.

however -- i'm no tax accountant, make sure that 4868 applies if you live overseas.

4868 will get you a 6-month extension.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Same here. I got my refund in early February.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I got 'em in.. last possible moment. It's pretty dumb that I even have to file, since I have no US income... But, gotta get that $5 intrest my bank account made on the books... ;)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I did mine online the second I got my W2...I wanted my money :D

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Finished mine on Friday.

The tax forms in Rhode Island are aboslutely absurd. Can you believe the non-resident form was 26 pages? It just kept spewing out of my printer. :(

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Filed extensions for the states, and got the Federal done last week. I'm a 1099 contractor, so taxes are more complex, but at least I'm not incorporated - last thing I need is another set of forms and rules. And also, I have investments too - not enough to make any serious money, but just enough to be an extra headache at tax time.

10. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I'm moving back to the 'states this August. I can't wait for my taxes to return to normal. Normal job, W2, 1040EZ. ahhhh.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've always had my taxes done by a trusted professional...I can't deal with them myself.

This year was a bad one, though. A year and a half ago I "retired" from a public service job (I still work) and began receiving my retirement income. Everybody who'd done this told me to watch out for a big tax hit. I tried to ensure this wouldn't happen by having enough money withheld, but somehow it wasn't, and I didn't catch it, and when the guy did up my taxes, I got hit hard. :(

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Had to hire out this year due to some oil and/or natural gas investments (hey if the price is going up and I'm taking it at the pump at least I get some benefit). Since the income didn't start showing up until this year but the payment was last year we got to write off a nice chunk as investment loss and have a nifty refund this year. However now that the checks are coming we need to look at compensating for the extra income so we don't get nailed next year.

Due to procrastination on our part we didn't finally get into a CPA until the end of March. But now that I've got the number and dealt with him it should be easier next year to call in January/February to get everything taken care of early.

Of course we don't get to do anything fun with it since we're talking of fixing our fence, moving, and/or remodeling so we might need the money later this year. Otherwise we may use it to fund our Roth IRAs so we're not searching for money to do it later this year.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

We got ours in real early. It was a pain since we got a nice refund filing the fed jointly, but had to file the stateS seperate. I had a full year MD, while the wife had a part year VA, part year MD. This wasn't too bad, but then after I had filed everything and mailed of the last little bit (her VA), she realized something. One of her banks failed to send us a 1099-INT for a CD she had while living in VA. That meant filing three amendments. Just got the last, and most frustrating, amendment done on Monday - the VA. The wife should have mailed it out today. Then we are hopefully done (there is a mess with refunds crossing paths and we might get a bill from VA for $13 in taxes that we don't owe but might end up owing...)

We bought a nice mattress for her (Select Comfort was what she wanted) and a bar review course for me with our refund.