Americans too stupid for factory work?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Little Endian, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

Canadian article states that Americans are too stupid too work in an Auto factory as being the primary reason why Toyota is building it's newest plant in Canada. I was just wondering how much of this is reality and how much of it is perception.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Americans (a lot of them) are lazy and care only about themselves.

"What are you going to do for me" attitude.

Honda has been building some of its models in Canada for years...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i thought they use them robotic arms on the car production line ?

are they saying the americans can't even press a button

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're American, right? That's bloody fantastic! :D

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

nope British and proud of it lol

7. iGary Guest

iGary

That's actually one thing that stopped us from buying a Mercedes SUV (when our business was booming and we could afford one) - Alabama.

Sorry, I don't want a fine piece of German engineering built in Alagodamnbama, thanks. :rolleyes:

8. emaja macrumors 68000

Ahh, the real reason.

Plus, a lot of the plants for Honda and Toyota are in the American South. meaning...

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Another (equally ignorant) way of putting this is that Canadians will work for cheap. Even the stupid Americans cost more than the smart Canadians.

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I resent that - Even being in the supposedly-bass-ackwards stupid state of West Virginia, I'm quite proficient in many things. I'm 16 and have had 11 years of education so far (K-10th). I'll be in 11th grade next school year and have no intention of stopping until I have the correct amount of college for what I'm doing.

Now if this is draws a picture of a stupid kid then things are pretty crazy... I could take a job in a car factory no problem. Heck, I already have paying job online right now.

11. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Here in Blgm taxpayer-funded health-care is the reason why we're more exspensive to employ...

:confused:

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I would say its probably the minimum wage to make sure that you pay enough in taxes is why you are expensive to employ.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Wow, good to see that prejudice is still alive and well, considering how all you northerners go around touting yourself as the enlightened ones. Friendly tip: stupid people live everywhere.

For the record, I happen to live about 15 miles from the Mercedes plant in Vance. It's probably the most sought-after places to work here, and the waiting list just to get an interview is about two years. Then again, I guess that Mercedes decided to build it's only plant outside Germany due to the rampant stupidity and inability to read of anyone born here (hmm, where did I put that pesky college degree that keeps me out of the workforce?). I also suppose that Mercedes locating in Alabama was such a bad idea that other automakers decided so wisely not to follow suit, such as the new Hyundai plant just outside Montgomery or the Honda plant in Lincoln, AL.
    Hmm, what's that other high-tech organization that has had a big presence in Alabama for decades? Oh yeah - NASA. But no, people from Alabama all live in trailers, wear overalls, and chew straw.

I guess us Alabamians are so retarded that after ten years or so of building the M-Class that they only decided to expand their production to include one new model (R-Class) and not two or three. We can't count above two anyway, and it might confuse us. :rolleyes:

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

Honda has been building Hondas and Acuras in Ohio for years.

I see these as a cultural thing.
    Americans are very individualistic (not stupid), so I find that there is no common concern for whether the car is well-built or not. Its all about the worker and what they get (i.e unions).

I like Japanese cars because they are better built in general. And, part of the Japanese culture is teamwork and concern for the company. A Japanese worker, at least traditionally, is concerned how the company looks and less about about themselves.

Even though my Japanese car was built in Ohio, I think its great because Honda runs the plant under Japanese principles.

Just watch "Gung-Ho" with Michael Keaton for the round-about explanation :) :rolleyes:

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

Sorry, to burst your bubble...but they said it themselves

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I was waiting for it. Thank you. :D It is amusing how elitist people are towards conservatives, Republicans, or Southerners. It's a shame. I live in Chicago, and this "enlightened", democrat, liberal city is the most corrupt and racist city that I've lived. Ignorance works both ways, usually against each other. :(

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

First of all, he said + they said = hearsay. If you can show me something more direct, I welcome the opportunity for enlightenment.

Secondly, I think you missed the point. It's not two years to get a job there, it's two years to be considered for one. Last time I checked, Mercedes only employs around 2,000 people here. Granted, this doesn't take into account the 15,000 or so jobs in the supporting industries. I don't have the figures on the other plants.

Working for MB is a plum job here, and if the competition is that intense, then we can't be nearly as dumb as one line in a Canadian-biased article makes us out to be.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh really? Racist? I'll give you corrupt, but not racist. Go live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Or anywhere in Ohio. That's racism. But if you're referring to Lincoln Park yuppies, you're right.

Sorry- I don't know what Chicago you live in, but my office is 40% black. In Ohio, it wouldn't be a fraction of that. And yes, I used to live there.

19. mac-er macrumors 65816

Just because 40% of your office is black doesn't make it non-racist.
    That's like one of the people that say.."I can't be racist, one of my friends in black."

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

I don't know how to be more direct...it was stated in the article..
    :confused:

Anyways, I'm Southern...but come on, even other Southerners make fun of Alabama and Mississippi. :)

21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You lived here and you don't see it? For one, it is segregated. The African American communities are delegated to the South and West sides. The Hispanics are delegated to the Southwest aad Northwest sides. The whites are north. BTW, the whites in Lincoln Park aren't the only racists in Chicago, if you catch my drift. I live in Printer's Row, btw. Soon to be Oak Park. :)

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm, first off, it's an awfully big place. People live in neighborhoods where they're most comfortable because they can. Haven't you noticed separate Asian communities? Polish communities? Gay communities? So are they also "delegated" to those areas of the city as well?

BTW-I've lived here 13 years, starting in Rogers Park. I thought I was all cool and enlightened- I realized when I moved here I had a lot to learn. Like I said- if you really want to see racism, move to Ohio.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The only reason I mentioned that was because that would never happen where I grew up. Didn't mean it to be a qualifying statement. And of course there's racism in Chicago. It's everywhere. But it's hardly the most racist city in the country. And there is no place in America I've seen that's completely non-racist. Just varying degrees.

24. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Ohio isn't on the list of my places to live. Apologies. :)

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And I certainly don't blame you for that. :) My whole point was that racism is a lot worse in other parts of the country. Chicago is FAR from the worst. My guess is that you've lived in big places all your life. Is that correct? If so, you're very lucky.