Americans: What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Nov 17, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Well Saturday I load up the car and drive out to Western Maryland where my family (well family by second marriage when by dad became a widower) gets together in one place once a year.

There will be 6 of my 8 sisters, 15 of my 18 nieces and nephews, my mum, 5 brother in laws and me in one house for a week (we rent a big place). :eek:

Coming home on Thanksgiving day to be with my significant other, but hopefully next week will be filled with Merlot, food, and more Merlot. :D

You?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

For the first time in years, the family in NY will all be going to my mom's for the traditional TG feast. We're a small family, 12 in all. Usually, we split up and travel to other parts of the country to be with other family.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

This year my mother and father inlaw are driving from Phoenix, while my brother-inlaw is flying in from Phoenix. They're getting here Wednesday and leaving the Monday after. My mother and brother in-law are nice people and it will be nice to visit with them. My father-inlaw is a complete *******, so I don't look forward to him being in my house at all.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

That's what the Merlot is for. :D

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm going to a Thanksgiving dinner party hosted by one of my American mates. Basically I'm going to drink myself stupid and eat mountains of pumpkin pie.

I loves me some pumpkin pie.

6. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

We (my wife and I) are going to my grandparent's farm, as we do every year. They are both 90 years old now, so it is always a special time to be around them. Joining us will be my mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, aunt & uncle (from Richmond, VA), and cousins. I'll spend next Tuesday and Wednesday clearing brush and mowing with the good ole' John Deere. It is always nice to get away from "the big city", Dallas/Fort Worth area, and spend time out there.

Thursday, we will be coming back here to spend Thanksgiving day with my wife's parents, always a good time as well. Her Mom has her Master's degree in home economics, so our Thanksgiving meal will be splendid, as usual. For the last 7 years that I have been married, I have been eating like a king. She is an excellent cook. Of course, I make the sweet potatoes.:p

Also, I will be running the Fort Worth Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning with some family and friends.:)

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I will be going to my wife's parents house in Escondido CA. I am looking forward to getting a few days of warmth! There will be me and my wife, her parents, her grandmother, 2 aunts, 2 uncles and 12 cousins. So 21 people in a fairly small house.

8. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

That sounds like a "shindig":eek:

Everyone get along well?

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Probably nothing at all. Just another day of rest for me.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm going to be alone this thanksgiving. The family are traveling to Minnesota and most of my friends are going out of town. The chick I was seeing, well, who knows. This is a bigger deal than christmas. I'm actually boycotting christmas this year.

11. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

That is nothing, I usually have 28-32 people at my house. Not this year though. :p

This year there will be only about 7, but if I invite my sister and her family 12.

12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Amazingly they do! Coming from my grudge holding family (my mom and one of her sisters haven't talked to each other in almost 8 years, stuff like that) it's a breath of fresh air to step into my wifes world for a little while.

Yeah, part of her family (brother, sisters and more cousins) are in Iowa, Seattle and North Carolina and won't be making it. If they made came it would add another 13 people. Such a big change for me to get used to coming from such a small family! I only have 5 first cousins and she has 20. Crazy...

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

We'll be traveling to Maine this year (Wednesday night) to spend the holiday with my wife's parents. Then back sometime Saturday night (with loads of turkey leftovers.....mmmmm) to go Christmas tree hunting at a regional farm on Sunday morning.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll be at my sister's house. My mom's side of the family will be there, except for one of my uncles and his family. We eat around 3 p.m. And then later on, after everyone has napped :) we always go bowling. That's the tradition.

What I don't understand, though, is why we always eat inbetween meals. I get it if everyone has two places to go to, and wants to spend half the day at each place, but this really makes no sense to me at all. It happens with every family gathering/major holiday. Can't we just eat at a normal time??? Even the still-too-early-but-normal-for-my-experience-in-missouri 5-5:30 would be fine.

15. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Will be having Thanksgiving dinner with at my grandma's house with the family that is in San Diego so it probably be about 20-30 people depending.

Pretty much everyone that comes brings at least one dish so when dinner starts there is no end to the food. Over the past few years I've been in charge of making cheesecake for dessert.

The next day I'm going out to the desert and enjoying the rest of the weekend offroading and having leftover turkey!

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sorry, this thread is only for americans, as per the title.

i'll be at my parents' house for thanksgiving day. this will be the first year my girlfriend will be joining myself and the rest of the family... 6 in our immediate family. a sister in law (and one that may as well be), a niece and a nephew... so around 11 or 12 in all. mmmm mashed potatoes.

17. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

my friends and I will bring blankets to the local Indian reservation (okay, bad taste!), and then we will be thankful for the rich british aristocrats who didn't want to pay taxes so they moved to america!

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mm, good man.

My family's on the bigger side like adrianblaine's... My mom is one of 6 sisters (all married with children) so now the cousins 20. (if you include the babies). We don't usually all end up together, it's a logistical terror, but we try to get at least three families together (one dinner in NorCal, one in SoCal).

It's typically held at my house 'cause my mom's the best cook. :D Amazing turkey, amazing Chinese spin on the stuffing, cranberry sauce from scratch, two types of gravy, two kinds of mashed potatoes (really smooth and sorta chunky), corn, Chinese veggies, a few more Chinese dishes, and sometimes we get a huge ham, too. Yay! Oh, the guests typically bring dessert. And board games. :rolleyes:

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

We're heading to my in-laws for Thanksgiving this year. There will be about 20 people there, including some family from Minneapolis. Should be a good time.

20. vniow macrumors G4

I'm not sure this year. It'll be the first time since moving out that I won't be able to spend it with any family being as they're all 1500 miles away and I can't afford a plane ticket right now. That and it may involve extended family and there's no way in hell I want to deal with any of them either.

*shrug*

21. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Freshly married, my wife and I are having our families over at our condo this year. Not too large compared to a lot of you (9 people total), but it is big enough for us! It will be interesting considering we've never cooked a turkey before...

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Puts on shades, college sweater and attempts accent... :rolleyes:

I'm on a training course during the day but am leaving early so I'm home by 5pm to put the turkey in the oven since I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 4 friends and we're all going to watch the football. Since the Denver/KC game won't finish until 4 in the morning over here, we're all taking the Friday off work to recover.

23. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I wouldn't worry about it. the first one I ever did I was sweating bullets with. Luckily it was a butterball and turned out great, the rest of the years, I just bought the cheap ones and they turned out just as good. But after that first one, the rest of them will be a piece of cake. Good Luck and have fun!!!

24. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I'm going home to the Chicago area to see my mom, brother, and several aunts, uncles and cousins. We'll eat and drink a lot, and then watch some football. Perfect day, really.

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha, radical, dude(tte)! :)