America's Army performance and quality.

Discussion in 'Games' started by mcmillan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I think I'll be downloading America's Army soon, but I have a few questions first.

To beginning, how good is the game? My DSL isn't super fast, so it's going to take a few hour to download.

Secondly, how is it going to run on my mac (see sig)?

I've checked the download page a few times, and there's always some kind of problem, any other place to download it?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I love the game, but you will find it a bit frustrating because you will be killed very quickly in the begining because you will be a nooob but after a bit of practice you will get better. The quality of the game is pretty decent, it uses the counter strike engine I believe. Your mini will run the game decently on medium settings.

3. mcmillan thread starter macrumors 6502

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yes you would be killed very fast since you're a noob. I have been playing AA for about 1 1/2 months now. Beginning I sucked. Now I have become very accurate. I mean very accurate. I play it on my 1 Ghz Powerbook G4 and it plays well. I also play it on my iMac G5 with the 9600, and it rocks! Your mini will be fine though.

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

No only the training missions.

6. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I played it on my mini(same as yours exept 512mb RAM) and it was slower than sin. But with the extra RAM it will probally be ok. I hope you don't think it will run with the graphics at highest:).

7. persianpunisher macrumors regular

It runs pretty good on my iBook. I never see anyone playing! We need to get a group of people to play

8. link92 macrumors 6502

Unreal Engine 3.0, which was in UT2003.

I'm also super accurate, been accused of having an aimbot and cheating a couple times :) PullTheTrigger, is my name.

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Unreal Engine 3.0 isn't out yet. At most, it's 2.5 (which is what UT2004 uses, not sure about 2003).

--Eric

10. link92 macrumors 6502

UE 2.0 then, which corrosponds to UT2003. AA 2.4 (Win only :() uses UE 2.5, the upcoming AA 2.5 (which should be coming it in rapid sucession on Windows, Mac and Linux) uses UE 2.5.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I noticed that the latest release had horrible graphics at any setting. I have the 256MB vid card in a G5 with 4GB of ram. This version looks WAY worse than the last.
    It's a great game, very accurate... but it's tough to play if your always (seemingly) against guys that LIVE on the server. They know every little trick, and I mean EVERY trick. But of all the online games, THIS one makes you think the most, and that's way more fun than running, hopping and shooting in a regular shooter.

12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

AA is wicked hard. I've only rarely survived entire missions! Plays o.k. even on my G4 800 MHz machine (GeForce Ti 128MB).

13. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

haha thats funny.... when someone gets schooled bad... he accuses people of using cheats or hacks... it's kinda annoying... also 2.4 on pc makes aiming easier.... so mac users get schooled quicker... but also makling us better players.... you might notice all of a sudden you got shot and cant figure out how... pc users have got it good.... it took me a while to get good enough.... favorite mission is hospitol....

:rolleyes: :confused: :mad: :eek: :D

14. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The map with the expanded bridge area was a good, challenging map. Often found myself shrieking out loud "Damn $%&#! Snipers!"

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

How bout a brand spanking new ibook with 512ram should it run well. Its not up for downloaded on the website today maybe an update coming soon.

16. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Haha, when I saw the title of the thread on MR's front page, I thought this would be a political discussion: America's Army performance and quality.

17. persianpunisher macrumors regular

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Negative! Version 2.3 is OS X's America's Army. PC users have 2.4. OS X will jump directly to 2.5 this month or so.

19. Heath macrumors regular

Americas Army

You have the exact same Mac I do, and I hate to tell you you won't be playing AA anytime soon, it's just too slow.

20. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

You are very wrong, I play it on my ibook in my sig with medium settings and it runs great, maybe you just have a bad latency or ping.

21. lt.anonymous macrumors newbie

ive been playing AA longer than anyone.... about 1 year 6 months. Would be playing longer, but my old ibook G3 couldnt stand AA. AA is a great game. In my opinion, you are not considered a noob if you have A) completed and are able to use SF guns. B) have at least 20 honor. Yes honor. there are a few honor servers still up, and it shows how ling you have been playing too

Look me up im [GRiM^.aNoNyMouS] 22 honor all training completed

22. Bosbrown macrumors newbie

Does any one know when the version 2.4 will be released for Mac ?

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Never. Scuttle butt tells me that we will jump directly to 2.5 when released.

24. Heath macrumors regular

Really, I'm not very wrong :)
    To me it's unplayable, the video card just can't keep up.

25. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Pfft. I've been playing since 1.0... how long is that? ;) Although, I haven't played in about 6 months because of a wedding, honeymoon, moving, and work... plus 2.4 is full of bugs and hackers. I'll probably pick it up again for 2.5 though.

Oh, and for the nubs.. consider joining a team, it helps alot to play with the same people regularly... pick up tips, tactics and strategies faster. Playing in competitive matches is also fun because it adds a little something extra when you're actually playing for something (intangible). ;)