America's Army Released for Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maclarny, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Link

It's being offered as a premium download right now for $5.95 but is also available for IMG Pro users. It will soon be made a public download on Macgamefiles.com but with the D/L speeds they usually have it could be a long download being 315 MB.

System requirements were also posted:

The minimum Mac specs for Version 1.7 are a 700MHz G4 Processor, Mac OS X 10.2.6, 256 Megs of RAM, 1 gigabyte of hard drive space, and a GeForce2 or Radeon 7500 card. The recommended specs are a 1.25GHz G4 Processor, 512 megs of RAM, a gigabyte of hard drive space and a GeForce4 or Radeon 8500 card.

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

3. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

They are less than what they recommend on the PC, though.

Oh well, I've got enough, I just bought a dual-1GHz PowerMac. :D (or will, actually, the one I bought has a few problems under the hood and needs to be replaced, but I'll soon have a nice little system)

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Have anyone playied this yet?

It seems good, but have a frikken load of requirements.
    700 MHZ mim.

Jeez my iMac is only 800... :(

5. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

MrMacMan, I wouldn't bother.

I ran the PC equivalent on hardware that barely exceeded the requirements, and the game ran horribly. Others ran on even worse hardware, but I wouldn't recommend it. Go ahead and try it, but it'll probably crawl.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

It's a serious, no joke game. ;) :p

7. couch potato macrumors regular

too bad i cant i cant give them my middle finger. oh well, at least they released it for mac. my 17" is gonna run it like crap.....just wait until my g5 arrives:cool:

8. crookedcharlie macrumors member

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thanks for the mirror link...

got it.

started the training...

kernel panic'ed in the machine gun part... ahh well

seems cool. a little slow on a dual 800 with gf4 ti... but looks good.

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The reason for the requirements is that it is based on the UT2003 engine and is designed for the hardcore PC users with 1.5Ghz or more. Unfortunately most Macs were not deisnged for games (except the high end PMs and the new G5s) so if people own Macs that are 1Ghz or less, they are going to have problems running the games that come out now. For example, on a 2Ghz PC Doom 3 runs at only 40fps at 1024x768, so you will need a G5 Mac to run it well.

11. MacBytes macrumors bot

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

All I had to read was the first post, UT2K3 runs like crap on my machine, I will not even bother. :(

13. Das macrumors regular

I think they're going a little overboard on the specs. I mean, UT2k3 plays more than fine on my 867 with a 9000 and this is just a stripped down version. Once you put the settings back a little, you can probably get away with a good fps on a lower cpu and of course it really depends on your graphics card.

Still, anyone try it yet? I'm wondering how well they've ported it and how it runs.

14. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

pretty cool
    thought i don t like the patriotic meaning behind the game..
    anyway. i think it s pretty nice, for every game that is released for os x

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I'm not too sure that recruiting kids to die for your country through a bloodless, sanitised computer game is a wholy ethical thing to do either. Real people bleed and don't just respawn when they're dead. :(

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yeah you don't respawn in this game, you have to wait for the next round. ;) :p

17. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I haven't seen it on a Mac yet but I'm looking forward to hearing how it runs. I played it on PC and it's a fun detailed game with lots of promise. I know I'm already out of the loop with those requirements but maybe I can get a new system soon. Best thing about the game is that it's free. You almost always have to pay for games like AAO.

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Alright, I'm going in!

I'm going to attempt to play it on my 667 DVI powermac! Let the choppy-ness begin!

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

got past the training today... tried the first mission. i had no idea all the missions would be online? is this the case for the entire game?

anyhoo, i got slaughtered rather quickly and decided to do some work. hah

20. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

As far as I know all the missions are online except for the training missions. The best mission is apparently one called "Insurgent Camp" I think so check it out. To those who have tried playing the game I wanna hear more about the performance and such with the settings on high and low. Thanks.

21. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You see lots of blood in the game plus friendly fire and only one life, you have to wait til the game finishes to play again. So I take it you think paint ball or laser tag is also unethical. I also expect you believe that we should just all lie down and die if someone wants to invade. This thread is about the game, not your theories on war and the morality of it.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Downloading now :) I'm only on a 128k connection so I'll have to be patient!

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have a 800 iMac with the GeForce 4 MX, it runs like ****, I think its the video card, I just wish I could upgrade. :(

Aint the mim. 700? Trust me, if it does run, it will run insanily choppy, so you can't even shoot.

24. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Did you run it with all the lowest settings?