Americas Army

Discussion in 'Games' started by goodwill, Jul 15, 2004.

1. goodwill macrumors regular

Has anyone downloaded it and tried it. I mean its free and the graphics are quite impressive. I've heard good things about it.

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

It pretty good if you put up with the feeling that you are being force fed propaganda the whole time you play. Having to go through the training is also a bit of a drag, but doesn't take more than a couple hours (provided you don't screw up on those multiple choice tests)

Graphics are quite good, one player missions would be nice (but multiplayer is most fun anyways). I don't play it much anymore though, as it is a little too taxing on my ibook.

3. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

I like it but the game runs a little slow on my 1ghz imac. I usually only get around 15 fps. Still its not bad for a free game.

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I haven't tried it on my PB "yet" but I loved playing it on my PC. The game can be more realistic then most FPS (i.e. head shot = dead, hit 3 times max = death).

I highly enjoy the team play

I say try it. What have you got to lose?

5. Ari_0 macrumors regular

That game should be tested for subliminal messages. Its too strange for anyone to release a free game. Let alone automatically port it to the mac :eek:

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Let alone the U.S. Army. It's weird enough to see the Army's media blitz.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its not really free, we pay for it with our tax dollars. its free cause its used as a recruiting tool.

iJon

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    hahaha, i think it's funny to hear the conspiracy theories about this game. it's a recruitment tool. it's to show the younger generation how cool the army is. i don't see how there's anymore "propaganda" in it than in any other realistic combat sim that tries to be the most accurate.

9. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I have never played they game, so I cannot attest as to whether the is a plethora outward propaganda in this game, but I suspect critics of the American Army would claims such devious means of subversion where present whether it existed or not.

Come to think of it, I don't remember why I never downloaded this game....I think I'll do it now.

10. Tempest024 macrumors newbie

America's Army is a solid addition to any gamer's library

Being that it was paid for with our tax dollars, you bet I downloaded it. It does play a bit slow, but I blame that on the lack of these games being hosted on G5 xservers. :)

The latest release has some bugs in it that need to be resolved but nothing that ruins the gameplay.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I like shooters, but not like UT2004 and such. Manic movement and constant shooting with no real strategy. AA is the ONLY game I play online, and it's about the only game I play period. Mac issues don't seem to happen like what the PC users suffer from. The graphics are good, but the real draw is the teamwork. Awesome.

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It has to be taken at face value I think. I'm WAY too old to join the Army, And EARNING the right to get better weapons and maps is I think the key to the game's value. I'm tired of 1st person shooters... no real sense that I earned anything. With AA my measly 24 honor was hard-earned, and I am proud of it. I've never been able to say that about any other game. And I disagree on the "force-fed propaganda", because it's either not there of you see some subliminal messages my tired brain doesn't. Are you like Otto in the Simpsons who kept muttering "Yvan Eht Nioj" and felt compelled to join the Navy? It's been PROVEN that subliminal messages do NOT work anyway.
    Enjoy the game, that's all.

13. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

If you like multiplayer games for free, you can get tribes and tribes 2 from fileplanet.com . They have been made available for free in anticipation of the upcoming release of tribes vengeance.

Unfortunately they are pc-only..

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And yet, Carson Daly is a star... kinda makes you wonder.. :)

15. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Don't you see? It's obvious.

In the not too distant future, the most advanced armies will be remotely controlled droids. Right now the technology exists to have remote controlled aircraft and tanks. So, the American Army is keeping a close eye on what the future wars will require - a team of nerds hooked up to computers controlling droids and drones half-way across the world.

They're just prepping you guys... If you're good at the game, don't be surprized to find a US Army Jeep pull up outside your door asking you to join the army...

16. Kalomir macrumors newbie

Just saw Michael Moore's "Farenheit". That anyone could play that game and enjoy it just makes me sad.

17. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Yeah that movie is complete truth. [/Sarcasm]

18. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I dont care if it has propaganda or not, it is still a fun game for the price. If you dont want to play it on your mac you could always play it on a linux machine. That's right they also make a linux port. The only problem with the ports is it takes about 2 weeks to get the updates but there is usually more servers for the last version then the current one out.

19. goodwill thread starter macrumors regular

im anxious to see it just to be open minded and balanced regarding two sides' propaganda, however, everytime ive gone to see it, its been sold out.

20. mkaake macrumors 65816

while we're on the subject of propaganda... :rolleyes:

anyhew, wanted to d/l it, but just don't have the bandwidth.

i know you can pick it up at a recruiting center, but do you have to actually talk to anyone? or can you just run in, grab the cd, and run back out? :)

21. Kalomir macrumors newbie

while we're on the subject of propaganda...

Talk of propaganda and counter propaganda, I won't disagree with it ; anyway what scares me is playing a game that depicts a real and current war. I prefer Call of Duty, that's my point.

22. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I don't know where you're getting your information, but that's not entirely true.

Subliminal messages work, but not the extent that pop culture tends to play up.
    Basically, they can influence you, but only if you're inclined to do something anyway.

For instance, if you go into a store with the intent to steal something, it won't stop you.
    However, in some studies, it's been shown that if you're neutral on something, then you can be swayed by a subliminal message.

And furthermore, I'm not a fan of the game.
    The training is boring, and doesn't do a thing to train you for the game. The game tends to be repetitive and boring, and too realistic. Ok, I understand that in REAL LIFE if you get shot three times you're likely to die, but when I'm playing video games, I like to be able to at least identify my shooter before I have to follow a teammate.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a far superior game (despite perhaps being more repetitive), and is also distributed free.
    Only drawback is that it's PC only, I believe

23. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's a pretty good game. There are no single player missions but on multiplayer it can be fun. The performance is a bit slow and there seem to be more bugs than most commercial offerings, but overall it is actually amazing quality.

One interesting aspect is that because it is made by the US Army, you can never shoot US soldiers. That is, your side always appears to be the US army and the other side always appears to be terrorists. So when you look at your teammate he will be wearing a US uniform, but an enemy on a hill a mile away will see you both as terrorists, and himself as the US guy.

24. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

I have been playing this game HEAPS over the last month or two. Like 2 hours a day (minimum)

Its awesome. Not only is it free, buts its the most realistic FPS i have ever played. It is as "smooth as a smooth thing" on my pBook, i dunno how many frames per sec, but im guessing at least 35 with highest settings across the board. The issue for most people with "poor performance" is their connection speed, not the computer itself. If you are trying to play on a 28.8 modem off course it will be laggy and choppy. Thats not the computers fault, its the fact that your ping is a 12 digit number.

Anyway, go get it. Its also fairly unique in that you can play against everyone, not just people who own the same type of computer as you do. I have great fun promoting Apple, saying things like "my computer clearly must be good, as I just killed 5 of your teammates" and "look either I have a great computer, or I am ridiculously talented at this game. You choose." :D

I have already met a few fellow mac users, and I would love to meet some more online. The only propoganda in AA is me telling everyone to get macs! LOL

www.americasarmy.com

~ozi