America's Army

Discussion in 'Games' started by wPod, Sep 23, 2004.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I appologize if a thread like this is somewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything on the game America's Army http://www.americasarmy.com/ its a pretty cool game, though its a bit of propaganda for the good ol' US Army.

Here is the deal. its a free download for the game. You have to first go through training. Once you complete training you can connect to servers and take on missions. but this is where i am having trouble.

i connect to the server but get booted off quickly. ive searched around the america's army site for a cause or solution to the problem, but found nothing. i was wondering if anyone here has played it or might know how to connect to the servers properly. thanks for your help!

2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

This is part of the game. Your character stepped on a landmine as you were disembarking from the APC. Game over. This is a very realistic game...not all players will make it onto the battlefield.

There is a workaround, and that is to start the game in 'Supply Corps' mode. You can edit the startup script and change the entry 'SoldierType=Infantry' to 'SoldierType=SupplyClerk'. Then the game will start up without the random landmine trigger, and you'll be able to play for a while. Unfortunately, this game mode only involves moving boxes of rations and photocopier paper from one warehouse to another, with no actual combat. The graphics, especially when turned up to 1600x1200 and High details are spectactular though. You can make out every single nail in those crates, and the textures which are used on the 'Form 4K-2 Cleaning Supplies Requisition' are easily the best in this class of games.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That's the funniest read today. rofl. :D Awesome.

Edit: I've read a couple of times that they're having huge problems with their servers, so this might be it. I haven't been able to play it yet since I don't have a flatrate atm.

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

it might also be a punkbuster problem. I have had trouble verifying with the server on the status of punkbuster when I connect. I followed the steps of updating punkbuster which was provided at evenbalance.com and that still didn't help. There is a post somewhere on america's army's forums. I have to type "pb_security 0" and then I do not get botted from the server.

I took about 4 monts off from playing AA and since I started back, I see dozens of people booted from servers because of punkbuster problems. This has really grown into a problem.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Americas Army is one of the best freeware games going around :D

I thought punkbuster sucked for the mac? Although it hasn't gave me any problems while playing CoD.

7. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

im going to give that a try. i deffinitly see something about punkbuster pop up as it boots me off, but it only flashes up for a couple seconds before i am gone.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Yeah, that's what happened to me. Normally it happens right when I start to play in a game. While I'm waiting for the next game to start I can be in spectator mode and not get booted, but about 5 seconds after the game starts the server disconnects me.

It definitely sounds like you have the punkbuster problem.

9. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

heh. . . er that kinda sucks. . . i got it to work. but have no idea what to do once im playing! i found a server with no people playing and i figured out how to capture an objective (im playing the MOUT training or whatever) but aside from that when i get on a server with people playing there are just a bunch of army guys running around. then occasionally they would shoot at me and i would die. everyone looks the same, and i dont want to shoot my own players. (heck, i dont even know if i was shot by a team mate) i think i might have to stick with medal of honor, i can tell a difference b/w the germans and myself!

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You forgot to tell him about "Adjutant Mode". You get to view actual action from a distant hill. When the fighting stops you get to issue requisitions to re-outfit the troops. You're pretty far away, but the binoculars are awesome, and the view down to the desktop filled with paper seen using a 9800 XT is to be BELIEVED.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Hmm...I have been wanting to play this. If I can play Halo quite smoothly, will this run nice?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I run it on my Rev. C PowerBook.

There is a utility for PunkBuster called "PBweb" that can updatte the punkbuster that is installed. The "psercurity_0" command (or whatever it is) actually downgrades PB to the server's version. Other servers that have been upgraded will say that you need to upgrade and kick you off.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The enemy usually have black masks on...

14. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The enemy normally has a slightly "brown" uniform and dont have "helmets" they have "berets" normally. At least I think its still that way.

I alpha/beta tested (im actually in the credits as a dedicated tester) like 5 months before E3 when they announced it being a game. I stopped playing about 4 months after release cause it got SUPER buggy. I heard its a TON better now, I might download it again after I finish playing Pandora Tomorrow (I'm a PC user by the way, I just hang around here cause I have a mac love for video editing).

15. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

I play this heaps.

I LMAO at the post about supply clerk. LOL

Yes it will be a PB problem. The new version also has a bug where if you are spectating (3rd person) of a person using the 50 Callibre Sniper Rifle (the big one) the program will unexpectedly quit. :rolleyes:

For PCs this shows up as a "critical error" but for macs is just an unexpected quit. Otherwise, its a great game, which runs HEAPS better on my pBook than Halo does. :D