America's Firepower (wow)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgargan1, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Well, ain't that something?

America's military is astonishingly powerful. Be it the M1A1 Tank, the F22 Raptor, or the B2 the US usually has the bleeding edge of technology and I'm sure there are some weapons we don't even know about yet.

Just take a Nimitz class Carrier group as an example, that by itself is damn near indestructable and can make a forward offensive that would want to make any country cry. Having one of those carrier groups would be overwhelming - we have eight active Nimitz class carriers and two more scheduled to be built. Good thing they only run about $4.5 billion.

Thinking about the capabilities of our military is awesome and frightening at the same time.

3. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I guess the lesson learned is that if you see an infrared light on you and you suddenly hear rotor blades, its best not to run but to put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I didn't see this video, but am sent lots of shoot'm ups by friends in theater. It makes me sad about the wasted lives, and glad they don't have the technology we have.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

However, like much of the "cool stuff" that the US has, expect it to be wasted, forgotten or not really used at all

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

In the mind of the Iraqis, America's Army = Terrorists with High Tech Weapons.

Imagine if Iraqis were on American soil shooting our freedom fighters with these sorts of weapons. Would you give your life to kill these bastards? If you can answer that question, then we would know how to end the war on Terrorism.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Or do you mean the foreigners coming in to do many of these things against US AND Iraqis. My friends in theather say most are outwardly happy about them being there.
    Certainly there are many that aren't, especially those that had power under saddam, and now don't.
    Our forefathers would now be called terrorists, it is a crazy world.

I would be glad and fight with a group that was trying to get my country back from a sadistic dictator.

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I've seen a few crazy videos of the American Military in Afghanistan and Iraq. I have absolute belief they could win any war of technology and man power but their style isn't really aimed at fighting lower-level insurgency.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, no kidding. In Desert Storm, more US troops died from friendly fire than from enemy forces.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More Brits, too.

13. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

when you start seeing infrared let me know :)

but that stuff is scarry :eek:

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Expect it to be used to shoot the British. More British soldiers in Iraq died to US troops than to anything else

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That is no longer true.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"when the British come the Germans duck,when the Germans come the British duck,When the Americans come everybody ducks" popular saying circa 1944 things haven't changed much.
    "call up G12 Tommy" Bill Hicks

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It was true for some time, though

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Also true of Canadians in Afghanistan... :(

19. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Not at all surprising.
    Friendly fire is an reality of war. Shoot, it's a reality of going out in the back woods and hunting with your buddies. Dessert Storm was a joke as far as resistance anyway. I bet we fired more shots at our own men than they fired at us :rolleyes:

~Tyler

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's nothing - it looked like one helicopter.

If it had been this you'd have seen a lot more green flashes :D

Armament:

two M61 20mm Vulcan cannons with 3,000 rounds
    one L60 40mm Bofors cannon with 256 rounds
    one M102 105mm howitzer with 100 rounds
    One 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun (1,800 rounds per minute)
    one L60 40mm Bofors cannon (100 shots per minute)
    one M102 105mm cannon (6-10 rounds per minute)

Its hard to imagine a Howitzer *in* an aircraft, let alone all the other guns.

My favorite is the 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun....that's just not right, 1,800 round per minute is 30 rounds a second...

D

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

22. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

So we're supposed to have women in our armies but let males continue to take the crap :rolleyes: :eek:

Anyway. Having force isn't a bad thing in its self. Unless the entire world disarms itself of all weapons, *SOMEONE* has to be the most powerful nation. The list of nations I would entrust with this position of power is very, very, very short.
    It's best if the biggest kid on the playground is a pretty nice guy.

As for examples on having force and not using, see the Cold War.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

24. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Frightening in the way that we have all the good toys, but we are still loosing to the terrorists. The U.S. needs to learn that throwing money at new weapons and technology is not the way to end the war against terrorism.

Do we really need 10 Nimitz class carriers? I say leave it at 8, and spend the 9 billion dollars on education, or paying of the debt.