Amiga Emulation on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by risc, Nov 14, 2004.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good Amiga Emulator for OS X? I've checked out MaxUAE and it's very slow, doesn't have full screen, and seems to crash a lot. I was playing around with WinUAE on my fathers P4 and that seems to work great, but MaxUAE wouldn't even be 1/10th of the speed on my dual G5 1.8.

Any recommendations greatfully received.

2. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

We must be the only two people on this board who care about re-living the halcyon days of Amiga gaming. That's a depressing thought. :(

Anyway, at the moment your best bet is E-UAE. I gather it's very raw at the moment and requires you to compile it yourself (I wouldn't know where to begin). Although I haven't been able to get this to work either, there's a GUI called Hi-Toro you can use in conjunction with E-UAE if you can't face manually editing config files.

You might also be interested to know that Winfellow has just recently been partially translated into C code, so there's a chance that in future it may be ported to OSX. A glimmer of hope at last!

Sadly Mac users really drew the short straw where Amiga emulation is concerned.

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Woah, it's the same site that I linked to before, but a little different. A mirror site, perhaps?

5. relimw macrumors 6502a

Now now, I enjoy playing Populus as much as the next old Amiga user ;)

I've only used MaxUAE, which has enuff problems as you mentioned. I attempted to compile E-UAE, but without any success. Ah well, at least MaxUAE will run Populus for me (not quite satisfactorily, but close enuf) :)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Now, now, you're not alone, I tried some emulation to play Pirates in a nostalgic fit a while ago... :D Don't remember which emulator I used, though, and it seems to have vanished in a 'cleaning' since... I remember having trouble emulating save disks, so I had to play until I was finished. Didn't get much sleep that night... and found it too straining to start over, so I must have figured out it wasn't anything to keep...

Keep posting if you guys find an emulator that's easy to install and use, and actually lets you make gamesaving disks...

7. wonderbutt macrumors member

No, I like AMiga too!! I am a regular at eab.abime.net (Fred the Duck).
    I have started threads there in regards to how far behind Amiga emulation is on the Mac compared to PC.
    My idea is to buy Virtual PC, max the RAM to 640 on my Powerbook and try WinUAE on it.
    I love AMiga gaming, it's going to be interesting.

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

YAY!
    There are still some Amiga-Fans here in the forum, great to see some fellows of the cult ;)

Thanks for the links, and if you look for some legally available games for the emulators, take a look at www.back2roots.org :)

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You're definitely not alone! I still remember playing my cousins Amiga when I was little. So many cool games - Buggy Boy, Rod Land Makes, Discovery, Rainbow Island and so many others I can't think of.

10. teddosan macrumors newbie

Just stumbled across this...

I too remember the joys of Amiga gaming and would love to get it running on my Leopard MacBook.

Anyone know if there is a Leopard compatible Amiga emulator out there? I really don't want to have to do it through Parallels and XP.

But I really do want to play Kick Off 2 again.

Thanks

Ted

11. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Well if I'm no longer the only Amiga emulator in the village, I'm packing up and moving to an American university campus to start my own Amiga Appreciation Society.

If the official release of E-UAE doesn't work with Leopard, you might want to try the third party universal binary.

The PowerPC version is as useful as a chocolate teapot for Intel Mac owners.

Whichever version you try make sure you use it with the Hi-Toro front-end for the most painless experience.

'owdo Fred? Fancy meeting you here me old china.