Amiga-still-not-dead Sighting!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stike, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I couldn´t believe it when I saw that pic :)
    They use an Amiga to display the seats and films in our (large) local cinema! It crashed and this was the pic that showed up :D

Attached Files:

2. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

aren't amiga's used for 3d rendering etc now? Mr A?

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

i don't know about recent use of amigas, but for a while in the early 90's i believe they were used fro 3d rendering and also some video work...a popular application for tv production, video toaster was out for the amiga

4. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

Amigas are a bit slow in the meantime for 3D rendering ;)
    But they were always great machines for graphics (4096 colors @ 320x512 in 1986!!) and had their best times from 1989 to 95, when the NewTek video toaster (a modded Amiga) was used for shows like Sea Quest and, I think, Max Headroom.

The today very popular app Cinema4D was created first for the Amiga, as was Caligari, which is now called TrueSpace. Both apps are now PC (and Mac ;) ).

It was a great joy to see the Amiga being still "in Action". I have three of them in my basement :)

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

only about 4 years ago, i saw the commercials running on top of the local television guide channel stop, and the desktop of an amiga showed up on screen for a few minutes as somebody tried to get the commercial loop to replay.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The new Amiga OS 4.0 was supposed to have made it's debut, but look's like there's been a some setbacks...

The Downward Spiral of Amiga Incorporated - James Russell - September 24th, 2003

The Amiga corporate site is supposed to be - www.amiga.com - with a user forum and links to news.

If there is trouble, who knows....

[edit]

The new Amiga OS 4.0 was supposed to bring the full transition to PPC, and run on a mildly modified Linux PPC whitebox (one of Mai Logic's PPC boards).