amusing moment - Windows laptop user..

Discussion in 'Community' started by shoez, Mar 12, 2004.

1. shoez macrumors newbie

My buddy and I both have laptops.. he got his before me and it's a powerful little PC which is relatively feature packed, but I grabbed a 12" PB not so long ago, and I think he's become a little envious ;) I've noticed his WinXP has started to see the introduction of various "Environment Enhancement" applications. A Dock was the first thing I noticed, then a Mac bar (whatever that silver thing at the top is called) - including the Apple logo (s******), and now some incarnation of Expose. Well I was chuckling. Anyhow, they don't actually work all that well, and look pretty feeble in comparison.

Anyone else with similar tales to recount?

shoez

- s. n. i g. g e r (chuckle,chortle, chuckle, cluck, crow, giggle, prattle, quack, run on, snicker - is a censored word on this board?? )

2. zamyatin macrumors regular

Yes, a friend of mine was in a similar situation with his Dell laptop. Of course, as it became more and more unreliable over the years, there was more incentive for him to switch every day, until he finally did. Now he'll never go back! He even has more Macs than I do (he has two).

Make sure to install OpenOffice on that friend's computer! Us Mac people can magnanimously overlook people who don't know better using Windows if they already sunk their money on buying it, but there's no excuse for them to waste more money on MS Office. (www.openoffice.org)

3. mrdeep macrumors member

yeah, i've seen that before: me before I got my mac

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Both of my roommates have tried that. One actually has an iMac and PowerBook, so he wanted consistency. The other, well, his VAIO is crapping out. Grape juice has rendered the keyboard inoperable, and the DVD-ROM drive won't latch shut anymore.

5. isus macrumors regular

there are websites dedicated to the folk who just refuse to switch, but need that mac feel :confused:

i'll never understand it though: with an emac starting at $1k and a previous generation ibook for ~$700, why not just switch?

6. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

Because a PC can be gotten for under 500.
    Because there are PC laptops with options, such as with a desktop's processor (yes you lose battery power and they're heavy and can get hot. But you have the option.)
    Because of software that's just not available on the Mac outside VirtualPC (Visual Studio, Trillian, games)

Lots of people like the Apple's setup but can't afford a 2nd computer, and/or run software that just isn't on the Mac.

7. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Not to mention as college students a lot of poor kids are "given" computers by their ill advised parents. When counting the cost of college, and all the time that goes into the planning, a computer purchase isn't at the top of the list. get what you can get for $500.
    My GF had that exact same thing happen, she was given a new computer, which she loved and was all excited about. Few months later I brought home my own laptop, a 1.25ghz AlumPB. Suffice to say after a few games of "kill the pop ups" and my casual showing off of my PB, the next computer she gets will be a Mac. That, and she aint going NO where with me if she hangs on to a PC. That's like an Islamic and a Chisitian getting hitched, just aint a good idea ;)

Tyler
    Earendil

8. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

Then what's someone like myself that uses (and loves) both PCs and Macs? :confused: :D

9. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

A troubled man :D

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have two friends doing exactly the same, i just laugh at them and tell then to ditch their vaio's and dells and get a proper computer instead of doing half hearted attempts! :D

11. AhmedFaisal Guest

Well I am sort of in a back to PC situation...

... actually. Thing is I have a Powerbook and I love it, I do dislike PCs tremendously but I am about to get one anyways. Why? Well, I want a Comp for my livingroom to hook up to the TV and stereo to watch DVDs, DivX and listen to my iTunes stuff. I know there is this cool streaming thing you can hook to the Mac via Ethernet that could do that, but that would require me to buy a comp either way and a Mac plus that goes beyond my budget. Now what options does Apple offer for that. Either there is the an e/iMac but both have a screen that I don't want because I already have a nice big 19" LCD TV that is also very neat looking. The other option would be the PowerMac G5 but it is huge and also a bit pricy just for a little multimedia jukebox. What I would really want is a Mac that looks a bit like this:

http://www.hushtest.de/hushshop/shop/shop_img/big_img/silber_kl_3d.jpg.

With a single G4 or G5 processor, possibly passive cooled (without any fans) like the beauty I just showed you. It fits perfectly with the rest of my multimedia equipment, the only bad thing about it is that its an x86 so I have to run WinBlows on it (I know I could run Linux, but I know too little about Linux to be able to install the apps I would need for that like VLC or MPlayer, and there is no iTunes for Linux either). I kind of doubt that Apple will finally come out with that pizzabox style of mac again, (especially in an Alu case and not the ugly iMac white) so unless I am proven wrong until say September I will buy this thing.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

12. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I think it is the word from the letter 'N' onwards.

13. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

You should buy a cube. They are small, not to fast, I think they have no fans, look cool, and are cheap. ~ish. You could buy one off of ebay for $650.
    Hope this helps,
    Ted

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

My brother in law (college student) has a Dell laptop and I bought my 1ghz Ti Powerbook about the same time he did his. Mine still runs like its brand new, his is on its last legs because of all the internet crap that has taken over his system. He now has to back everything up and wipe/reinstall.

Poor dude. And guess who is coming for help from? Me, of course!

15. encro macrumors 6502

encro

ummm
    www.rokulabs.com HD1000?

16. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Honestly, if you opt for Mac then get one. You probably crave the top-of-the-line model which is understandable. Just get the base G5. It's plenty fast, I'm sure.
    Or just wait until the new machines come out - which shouldn't be too long - and they start dropping the prices on the models in stock.
    I have a 933Mghz G4 with Panther and it does everything I want and I LOVE it. I couldn't be a happier computer user. I won't consider getting another computer unless this one becomes hopelessly outdated or my work necessitates it.

17. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

jeezz! that thing is awesome! That replaces a lot of the need for a media pc. I want one :D
    My only gripe-- it can't play songs bought from iTunes... o well... all the more reason for LimeWire :p .

o... also it's not free.... but....

18. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Why would a windows guy skin his GUI? Haha get the look and then have the CPU power for "more" games available for PC. Obviously its no replacement for UNIX or the true interface, but that's as far as you can get w/o ploppin down a substantial amt. of money (eMac or iMac sickenly inferior to the PMac counterparts). No way would i spend <1000 for an outdated computer, when <2500 gets the much more futureproof model (ok going too tangent now).

This doesn't really apply to me because I play predominantly Blizzard games, but for other people, that means being able to play all the other more popular FPS titles. If he's not a gamer, than that guy should really consider the switch. And if he DEFINITELY is not a tweaker, then all the more to switch.

19. AhmedFaisal Guest

Hmmm, bookmarked, now all I need...

is a decent looking DivX/DVD Player that supports all DivX formats including 3.11. There is a ton of those over in Europe but what about the US? The KiSS one is FUGLY btw.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

20. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Ha. One of my best friends was planning to spend all of her last summer before college saving up to buy a new iBook. Imagine her surprise on graduation day when her mom and dad presented her with a maxed-out iBook, printer, and some other stuff! Her mom's the IT director for the school district, so she knows the score with Macs. :D