an advantage of click-wheel over 3rd gen

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

since it's getting colder in MI, i finally pulled out my winter jacket and gloves... and in the process, i realized one of the great advantages of click-wheel iPods (and the mini, which is what i have) over 3rd gen all-touch iPods.

-> i can still forward, pause/play, reverse with my gloves on!

could not do this with the 3rd gen model because it required bare skin...

a pleasant realization... (i know, not a big deal...)

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I never thought of that (guess I wouldn't down here in Florida). Cool!

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have realised that of late and i now wish i have a 4g ipod! i suppose i will just have to borrow my girlfriends ipod mini when i give it to her for christmas!

4. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Nice advantage, but luckily enough for me, I havent had to use gloves with my 3G for a long time, and probably wont in the near future. :D (Notice my location)

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

yeah, this is definitely an advantage. i don't have that problem with my 3G when i am at home (memphis), but up here at school i don't know what i would do if i did not have the remote to change the volume and skip the few songs on a playlist i don't want to hear. i just have to be sure that i know basically what i want to hear before i get started so i don't have to try to work my way through multiple playlists.

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's one of the reasons I never bought a 3G iPod...I wanted to be able to get to the controls without taking it out and showing everyone. Public transportation will make you paranoid like that. :D

7. aplasticspork macrumors regular

unfortunately i live here in soggyville usa, and i have a 3G ipod :( . cold, wet, i dont relish the thought of walking home every day. it's already getting down below 40? at times.
    --andrzej

8. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

funny, because i'm moving there in a few months. :D

9. dotnina macrumors 6502a

That is good to know. So I guess the scroll wheel doesn't work when you're wearing gloves?

I wouldn't know about gloves / iPod use. Here in southern California, the only time you wear gloves is when you're about to commit a crime. :D

(Kidding. :p)

10. aplasticspork macrumors regular

oooohhh fun...that's 40 degrees during the day :D . it's actually quite a nice place if you dont mind rain, and it only rains during the winter so the summer is ok. problem is, im usually out of town during the summer. which part of seattle are you moving to?

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have an original iPod where everything moves and you can keep your gloves on.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    assuming u can get them to fit :)

13. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

near UW... i need to find a job before my current job is up in a few months...

i'm looking forward to it. liked the city when i visited...

14. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

With my 3G, I was able to use the controls through my pocket in my pants. It was really cool.

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

that is a good point... probably why i loved my 1G so much, i could do those things, and I never touched buttons by accident...

but, my 1G's died from in the cold... my 3G survived last winter... and this one so far...

16. aplasticspork macrumors regular

it's quite nice near the UW, and a lot of busses go by there, so thats a good way to get around if you dont have a car. my sister goes to the UW and i'm a few miles away. :)
    --andrzej